They want to put dead bodies on cigarette packs...

I see an opportunity here. Someone should make covers for cigarette packs, like the ones you can get for cell phones?

They could be offered in feminine colors decorated with cats and flowers for the wimmen, and manly colors decorated with guns and motorcycles for the guise.

Waddya' think?

You are right Colin. Smokers die younger. But what I'd like to see is a cost analysis of "smoking related healthcare costs" vs. "Social Security/Medicare costs" for keeping people alive until they are 100. I think if people choose to die younger, they could be saving the system mega bucks. Anyone have info?

I see an opportunity here. Someone should make covers for cigarette packs, like the ones you can get for cell phones?

They could be offered in feminine colors decorated with cats and flowers for the wimmen, and manly colors decorated with guns and motorcycles for the guise.

Waddya' think?

Excellent idea. Cigarette boxes will be in great demand.

put dead bodies on cigarette packs????damn that would be hard to do!!maybe they are going to put cigarette packs on dead bodies!!:razz::razz:

I believe individuals have the FREEDOM to make choices.

Not to mention there is no evidence to suggest smoking causes cancer.

Really! The medical profession disagrees with you.

And as I already stated the medical profession is basing it on correlative evidence. The problem with that is the vast number of untested variables involved means finding empirical evidence is almost impossible to come by. Hell we could find out fifty to a hundred years from now that it's all from plastics emissions. Who really knows.

Folks with addictions to any substance already are well aware of the health risks. We've been educated to the point of tuning it out. The focus would be better served towards programs to get them off their addictions, and we really need something more effective than AA/NA.

The other thing is, we are all exposed to so much over-the-top graphic crap every day, this has a snowball's chance in hell of being an effective deterent.

They should either outlaw it, or shut the hell up. But they want the tax money.

Demonizing smokers (and fat people) has become an accepted form of hate-mongering. Children are now being taught that "smokers are bad people"; not that "smoking is bad for you". Three of my nieces and nephews will hardly speak to my parents because they smoke - outside. Nice, eh?

And as I already stated the medical profession is basing it on correlative evidence. The problem with that is the vast number of untested variables involved means finding empirical evidence is almost impossible to come by. Hell we could find out fifty to a hundred years from now that it's all from plastics emissions. Who really knows.

The evidence speaks for itself:

Experts agree that smoking is the single biggest cause of cancer in the world. Smoking causes over a quarter of cancer deaths in developed countries.

Around half of current smokers will be killed by their habit if they continue to smoke. And 25-40% of smokers will die in middle age

Smoking causes even more deaths from other respiratory diseases and heart conditions than from cancer. If current trends continue, scientists estimate that tobacco will kill about one billion people in the twenty-first century.

Smoking is the most important preventable cause of bladder cancer and causes two in three cases in men and one in three cases in women. It increases the risk of this disease by 3-5 times

much more at: Tobacco, smoking and cancer: the evidence : Cancer Research UK

I'm ready to quit.

Where do I check in for rehab?

Given the enormous sum of money I've paid in taxes over the last 40 years, I presume that this rehab is prepaid, right?

Oh it's not?

Well then...STFU

Experts agree that smoking is the single biggest cause of cancer in the world. Smoking causes over a quarter of cancer deaths in developed countries.

Around half of current smokers will be killed by their habit if they continue to smoke. And 25-40% of smokers will die in middle age

Smoking causes even more deaths from other respiratory diseases and heart conditions than from cancer. If current trends continue, scientists estimate that tobacco will kill about one billion people in the twenty-first century.

Smoking is the most important preventable cause of bladder cancer and causes two in three cases in men and one in three cases in women. It increases the risk of this disease by 3-5 times

Experts once agreed that the world was flat. Look what happened there. I'm not saying it's not possibly true, I am however saying it's quite possibly just as wrong. Personally I think the evidence shows it's more DNA related to one's susceptibility which explains why some people who smoke all their lives can live to 100 while some who have barely been exposed to any tobacco products can die from "tobacco" related cancers at age 20.

Experts once agreed that the world was flat. Look what happened there. I'm not saying it's not possibly true, I am however saying it's quite possibly just as wrong. Personally I think the evidence shows it's more DNA related to one's susceptibility which explains why some people who smoke all their lives can live to 100 while some who have barely been exposed to any tobacco products can die from "tobacco" related cancers at age 20.

Well, I wish that I had heeded the evidence. I finally quit smoking in February this year...when it was too late!

Well, I wish that I had heeded the evidence. I finally quit smoking in February this year...when it was too late!

I know for a fact "smoking" is a convenience causative factor that MDs love to use. It's the easy excuse. You lived your life exposed to all kinds of potential causative factors, some known, many undiscovered as yet. As complex as each human body is and how each one reacts to their environments........ We've just scratched the surface of the scratch of knowledge we have, that's all I'm saying.
My best friend died from renal cancer last year, the first doctor tried to blame it on smoking. Brian never smoked a day in his life.

put dead bodies on cigarette packs????damn that would be hard to do!!maybe they are going to put cigarette packs on dead bodies!!:razz::razz:

Excuse the fuck outta me!
My Mother passed away to lung cancer, and she had 6 doctors.....6.......and each and every one of them told me the hilar mass on her right lung was caused by her smoking cigarettes.
Not filthy air, not inhaling other people's smoke, not working in a bad environment....but because she had smoked for 50 years.
Smoking does cause cancer, why do you think it's so fucking important to drill it into children's (and anyone who will listen) heads??
Because smoking kills.

@ Ringel...one doesn't have to smoke, to die from cancer. Look at Christopher Reeves wife, Dana Reeves, she never smoked a day in her life, yet she died from lung cancer, while she was in her 40s. Second hand smoke kills too.

Excuse the fuck outta me!
My Mother passed away to lung cancer, and she had 6 doctors.....6.......and each and every one of them told me the hilar mass on her right lung was caused by her smoking cigarettes.
Not filthy air, not inhaling other people's smoke, not working in a bad environment....but because she had smoked for 50 years.
Smoking does cause cancer, why do you think it's so fucking important to drill it into children's (and anyone who will listen) heads??
Because smoking kills.

@ Ringel...one doesn't have to smoke, to die from cancer. Look at Christopher Reeves wife, Dana Reeves, she never smoked a day in her life, yet she died from lung cancer, while she was in her 40s. Second hand smoke kills too.

Dabs, look at my posts. You can believe what you want, I don't care, just know that Doctors are not Gods, their knowledge of external environmental effects on the human body is extremely limited. Imagine the current medical knowledge of the human body as a basketball, now imagine the total knowledge of the human body and EVERY relational factor is the universe. Now you have an idea of what we're facing and why I feel it's irresponsible for physicians to simply claim it's one factor and one factor only.

My maternal grandfather smoked til he died at 88. My paternal grandfather never smoked and died at 65 of a heart attack. Correlation does not mean causation.

Do people really want to live to a 100? It's a difficult subject to discuss, but the govt's attempt to "legislate health" and outlaw bad habits is not in everyone's best interest. Ask them.

If the government forces the cigarette companies to put those extremely graphic pictures on half of each pack of smokes, I'm going to start leaving them out in plain sight for everyone to enjoy. After all, I wouldn't want anyone at the table next to me in the restaurant to start smoking.

Lets put pictures of aborted babies on tampon boxes just to remind chicks that they could possibly have an unwanted pregnancy and thats the result... A dead human chopped up better than the Japanese could do circa wwI.

you really are an idiot....a waste of skin...etc

It's funny how I'm always the idiot with no explanation involved.

I'm just the idiot....

Why am I an idiot?

You have to explain those things if you want to be taken seriously and I seriously doubt you have the intelligence to commit to such a hard ass task.

Do you see the difference between this statement....

May as well put pictures of genitals with STD's on condoms..

....and this one....

Lets put pictures of aborted babies on tampon boxes just to remind chicks that they could possibly have an unwanted pregnancy and thats the result...

....and how they relate to the topic in your thread title? Do you know why the first one is a fair comparison and why the second is just plain retarded?

Actually they agree with me 100%. Not to mention they're trying to find the "cancer gene."

Biologists know that some individuals are predisposed to cancer while others are not.

I'm sure that an argument could be made that smoking (or unhealthy living in anyway for that matter) could speed up the the process in which a person gets cancer.

Smoking certainly doesn't cause cancer tho.

Forum List

Back