Therapists not police.

pknopp

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2019
It starting to catch on. The most important sentence in the entire article.

In six months, the STAR program has responded to 1,300 calls and never needed to ask for backup from a police officer.

Therapists, not police: Other cities look at program for 911 response

One would think even the most hardcore cop proponent would support this as it frees up the police to pull more people over for imaginary infractions.

Compromise. Let individual people decide whether they want a therapist or a cop to respond to their call for help. Personally, I'd rather have a cop than Mr. Rogers show up when shots are fired or when someone is breaking into my house. If Democrats want to talk and hug it out, give them that option.

Compromise. Let individual people decide whether they want a therapist or a cop to respond to their call for help. Personally, I'd rather have a cop than Mr. Rogers show up when shots are fired or when someone is breaking into my house. If Democrats want to talk and hug it out, give them that option.

It's not always the person in need that does the calling. Obviously you are not one to be making compromises when you are unable to discern the fact that "shots fired" would not be a low level call as noted in the article but you just couldn't refrain yourself from going here could you?

It seems like there are a lot of calls that are not emergencies. If a bottle of water, a pack of tampons, and a pep talk from a therapist is all that is needed to handle the problem, then it should not be a 911 emergency call. Of course police are not needed for non-crime calls.

I wonder how many paramedic calls were included in those 1300 calls. A cop does not need to respond to a person having a heart attack assuming that ems can get there first.

It's not always the person in need that does the calling. Obviously you are not one to be making compromises when you are unable to discern the fact that "shots fired" would not be a low level call as noted in the article but you just couldn't refrain yourself from going here could you?
I second this. This matter was addressed during a Blue Bloods episode this past season and each time the therapist person was in the picture, the person being the problem was never once the person who did the dialing of the phone. Things went well during the first call. The therapist person was almost killed during the last one.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

It seems like there are a lot of calls that are not emergencies. If a bottle of water, a pack of tampons, and a pep talk from a therapist is all that is needed to handle the problem, then it should not be a 911 emergency call. Of course police are not needed for non-crime calls.

I wonder how many paramedic calls were included in those 1300 calls. A cop does not need to respond to a person having a heart attack assuming that ems can get there first.
Cops might be needed to ensure scene security....EMS is trained not to enter unsafe scenarios, no matter how badly the patient needs attention.

Cops might be needed to ensure scene security....EMS is trained not to enter unsafe scenarios, no matter how badly the patient needs attention.

1300 calls and the police were not need as back up on any of them.

Yes, if someone is hurt as a result of a crime. Not if someone simply trips and falls down the stairs.

Yes, if someone is hurt as a result of a crime. Not if someone simply trips and falls down the stairs.
Even if someone trips and falls down the stairs, the protocol is scene safety first.

This is actually a win-win for police. When police have to take an involuntary psych patient to ER, the wait is interminable. It ties up a police unit for hours waiting to see a clinician. And then, after they see the clinician, the psych patient is often out the door before you've even got back to your cruiser.

On the other hand, if the therapist is killed, it's a job for detectives and, except for the inevitable door knocks, it doesn't tie up uniform police.

Even if someone trips and falls down the stairs, the protocol is scene safety first.
Perhaps, but that does not have to involve the police showing up.

You either need this, or you need to have police officers that are trained in crisis intervention. Which is a thing, there are police that are trained in crisis intervention, and you can request such an officer if you are mentally ill. We had some police officers and first responders taking this training come to my mental health peer group to learn more about us and have a dialogue on mental health and how we want and need to be treated.
Problem is, this training isn't widespread.

Not mental health crisis intervention

The first step in a mental health crisis is making sure patient, his family, and the clinician are safe. Until that safety has been ensured, no amount of therapy in the world is going to end the crisis.

Police don't provide mental health counseling, they ensure that such counseling as may be required can be provided safely by all involved.

Not mental health crisis intervention

The first step in a mental health crisis is making sure patient, his family, and the clinician are safe. Until that safety has been ensured, no amount of therapy in the world is going to end the crisis.

Police don't provide mental health counseling, they ensure that such counseling as may be required can be provided safely by all involved.
If you truly think police can't benefit from learning how to de-escalate a situation with a mentally ill person without resorting to violence I don't know what to tell you

1300 calls and the police were not need as back up on any of them.

It starting to catch on. The most important sentence in the entire article.

In six months, the STAR program has responded to 1,300 calls and never needed to ask for backup from a police officer.

Therapists, not police: Other cities look at program for 911 response

One would think even the most hardcore cop proponent would support this as it frees up the police to pull more people over for imaginary infractions.

I fail to see your point.

Low level domestic calls are not a problem.

Last edited:
If you truly think police can't benefit from learning how to de-escalate a situation with a mentally ill person without resorting to violence I don't know what to tell you

Police are already trained that de-escalation is the objective of EVERY encounter, not just mental health encounters. The least violent resolution to any crisis is the optimal one. The most successful police officers, and the ones who are best at their jobs, are those not with the best martial arts skills or the best marksmanship skills, but the best communication skills.

Policing in 99% communications.

However, police have an option not available to clinicians or ambulance workers. They can respond with an appropriate level of force when required.

Police are already trained that de-escalation is the objective of EVERY encounter, not just mental health encounters. The least violent resolution to any crisis is the optimal one. The most successful police officers, and the ones who are best at their jobs, are those not with the best martial arts skills or the best marksmanship skills, but the best communication skills.

Policing in 99% communications.

However, police have an option not available to clinicians or ambulance workers. They can respond with an appropriate level of force when required.
Again as I said in my first post, mental health crisis intervention officers are already a thing. My point is it's not a common thing for the police to be trained to de-escalate with the mentally ill specifically, and we can use more of them. And you act like that's a bad thing? ffs

Forum List

Back