Theories on Why Atheists are met with Hostility

Stop being an asshole is the best advice you can give anyone.

To pretend that there are no theist assholes is BS.

Furthermore it is disingenuous to try to allege that atheists are assholes when all they are doing is exercising their FFR rights. Their rights are identical to yours. If you don't uphold their rights you will lose your own. That is why I uphold the rights of theists like you.

"FFR?" You mean "Freedom From Religion?" That is not a right that exists. You should read the Constitution again.

That said, the vast majority of atheists I know are quite decent people and they lament the extremely vocal minority of assholes that try to denigrate those who have faith in something they don't.

Are you sure the hate doesnt flow the other way?

Did you see the nice sweet cute high school girl who is an atheist and she sued and won to have the school take down a prayer they have up on the wall that says something about god?

She doesn't hate anyone. She simply felt it didn't belong. What was written in that prayer, she didn't agree with and was offensive to her.

You have to realize, if someone doesn't believe in god, to us it is an idiotic concept and it should not be assumed everyone believes in these god(s).

Anyways, you should have seen the town hall meetings. If those people could have they would have taken her out and crucified her. They were the ones that were showing evil.

“Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.” – Blaise Pascal

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” – Steven Weinberg
Prayer for injured teen sparks atheist outrage Prayer for injured teen sparks atheist outrage Fox News See 2 can play............

Do you not understand why?

Allowing an adult pastor to act as a ‘volunteer chaplain’ for the football team is not cool. The school cannot “allow a non-school adult pastor access to the children seeking to organize prayer for the students.”

Did you read the entire article?

The school district said the prayer was instigated by students and denied that a chaplain prayed with the team. So at least they understand that if they did that it would be wrong. Instead what they are doing is denying the coach had anything to do with it. Had he organized the prayer they'd be guilty. The school is saying the kids did it themselves. If that's the case no harm no foul.

Keep in mind in the past you guys argued that team chaplain's should be allowed. You lost that argument. Do you at least today understand why you lost and do you agree/understand why a team chaplain doesn't have a place at the school? You didn't before. My hunch is that if you could wave a magic wand and put a chaplain back into our schools, you would. So you probably do not understand.

The atheists said in a written statement that they were satisfied with the school’s response – and they now consider the matter closed.

“FFRF is very pleased with central Florida's new-found commitment to upholding the First Amendment and protecting the rights of all students, not just Christians,”

Parents, meanwhile, are a bit perturbed with the atheist bullying.
Yes I know why, they hate and are not secure in their belief so it must be imposed.
There was no Chaplain ....the atheist group accomplished nothing but wasting time and energy of those they hate

You are ignorant.

We are not trying to impose our beliefs. We are trying to make sure you don't impose yours. Doesn't matter if the majority believes in god. Sometimes laws are passed to protect the minority.

The only thing we HATE is you imposing your god(s) on us. It is unconstitutional and unAmerican.

Theists often say atheist nations are bad but fact is, America is an atheist nation. We were smart to take god out of our politics. The opposite would be to be like ISIS in Iraq. They want their country to be a religious one. Do you?

Did you see the nice sweet cute high school girl who is an atheist and she sued and won to have the school take down a prayer they have up on the wall that says something about god?

She doesn't hate anyone. She simply felt it didn't belong. What was written in that prayer, she didn't agree with and was offensive to her.

You have to realize, if someone doesn't believe in god, to us it is an idiotic concept and it should not be assumed everyone believes in these god(s).

Anyways, you should have seen the town hall meetings. If those people could have they would have taken her out and crucified her. They were the ones that were showing evil.

“Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.” – Blaise Pascal

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” – Steven Weinberg
Prayer for injured teen sparks atheist outrage Prayer for injured teen sparks atheist outrage Fox News See 2 can play............

Allowing an adult pastor to act as a ‘volunteer chaplain’ for the football team is not cool. The school cannot “allow a non-school adult pastor access to the children seeking to organize prayer for the students.”

The school district said the prayer was instigated by students and denied that a chaplain prayed with the team. So at least they understand that if they did that it would be wrong. Instead what they are doing is denying the coach had anything to do with it. Had he organized the prayer they'd be guilty. The school is saying the kids did it themselves. If that's the case no harm no foul.

Keep in mind in the past you guys argued that team chaplain's should be allowed. You lost that argument. Do you at least today understand why you lost and do you agree/understand why a team chaplain doesn't have a place at the school? You didn't before. My hunch is that if you could wave a magic wand and put a chaplain back into our schools, you would. So you probably do not understand.

The atheists said in a written statement that they were satisfied with the school’s response – and they now consider the matter closed.

“FFRF is very pleased with central Florida's new-found commitment to upholding the First Amendment and protecting the rights of all students, not just Christians,”

Yes I know why, they hate and are not secure in their belief so it must be imposed.
There was no Chaplain ....the atheist group accomplished nothing but wasting time and energy of those they hate

You are ignorant.

We are not trying to impose our beliefs. We are trying to make sure you don't impose yours. Doesn't matter if the majority believes in god. Sometimes laws are passed to protect the minority.

The only thing we HATE is you imposing your god(s) on us. It is unconstitutional and unAmerican.

Theists often say atheist nations are bad but fact is, America is an atheist nation. We were smart to take god out of our politics. The opposite would be to be like ISIS in Iraq. They want their country to be a religious one. Do you?
Just the facts...inconvenient as usual

Stop being an asshole is the best advice you can give anyone.

To pretend that there are no theist assholes is BS.

Furthermore it is disingenuous to try to allege that atheists are assholes when all they are doing is exercising their FFR rights. Their rights are identical to yours. If you don't uphold their rights you will lose your own. That is why I uphold the rights of theists like you.

"FFR?" You mean "Freedom From Religion?" That is not a right that exists. You should read the Constitution again.

That said, the vast majority of atheists I know are quite decent people and they lament the extremely vocal minority of assholes that try to denigrate those who have faith in something they don't.

Some of my best friends are atheists. LOL

By the way, that's just what they tell you. Secretly they think you are borderline retarded for believing in god(s).

My atheist friend who converted me had to tell me my belief was stupid, and he really hurt my feelings. It took a weekend for it to sink in. He wasn't trying to hurt my feelings. He was simply pointing out how stupid my belief was. Think about it. I realized years ago that all organized religions are complete bullshit, but I still had a personal relationship with god.

The more I learned the more realized how stupid my imaginary friend was.

Without him being brutally honest and hurting my feelings, I thought it was completely rational believing in my imaginary friend. It wasn't until he made me realize it was all in my head and he was right. Believing in god(s) is stupid.

He "converted" you. That says it all right there.

The vocal minority of atheists that are assholes do not prefer free thought, they want to destroy religion.

You are ignorant.

Are you the Christian version of ISIS? Do you want America to be officially a "Christian" nation?

My atheist friend who converted me had to tell me my belief was stupid, and he really hurt my feelings. It took a weekend for it to sink in. He wasn't trying to hurt my feelings. He was simply pointing out how stupid my belief was. Think about it. I realized years ago that all organized religions are complete bullshit, but I still had a personal relationship with god.

Without him being brutally honest and hurting my feelings, I thought it was completely rational believing in my imaginary friend. It wasn't until he made me realize it was all in my head and he was right. Believing in god(s) is stupid.

The vocal minority of atheists that are assholes do not prefer free thought, they want to destroy religion.

Certainly we want to keep it out of our government. And you really should keep that shit to yourself. If you want to think about god all day and go to church on Sunday, cool. If you don't like gays, that's your choice.

We just want your god out of our government. It doesn't belong. Not to us it doesn't.

You are ignorant.

Are you the Christian version of ISIS? Do you want America to be officially a "Christian" nation?

Another atheist tactic ..you must be ISIS if you disagree and point out their shallowness

Then I converted him to an agnostic atheist. In other words he knows that the god of the old, new and muslim religions is complete bullshit but we don't know either what is on the other side of black holes so it would be just as dumb for us to say we know 100% there is no god just like theists who say they know for sure god exists are dumb.

Certainly we want to keep it out of our government. And you really should keep that shit to yourself. If you want to think about god all day and go to church on Sunday, cool. If you don't like gays, that's your choice.

We just want your god out of our government. It doesn't belong. Not to us it doesn't.

If that was all you "just" wanted there would be no issue with me. But that's obviously not all you want is it?

(Why the comment about gay people? Are you showing your ignorance again?)

Below, I have posted a link to a video I recently watched that I feel gives a good explanation for the hostility that many theists have towards atheists and why they often feel threatened by our nonbelief. My purpose for posting it here is to encourage others here to watch it and then post some of their own explanations of why they think atheists are so hated.

I think it has more to do with the fact that atheists mock Christians, and they will refer to God as a Santa Claus or in other ways make fun of faith just because they lack any.

You are ignorant.

Another atheist tactic ..you must be ISIS if you disagree and point out their shallowness

Few politicians have been willing to identify as non-theists, since such revelations have been considered "political suicide". In 2009, City CouncilmanCecil Bothwellof North Carolina was called "unworthy of his seat" because of his open atheism. I think people who believe in an invisible man are unworthy. Several polls have shown that over 50 percent of Americans would not vote for a qualified atheist for president. Many of the respondents associated atheism with immorality, including criminal behavior, which is funny since atheists only make up about 1% of the American prison population.

Atheist parents have been discriminated against. Aschild custody laws in the United Statesare often based on the "best interests of the child" principle, they leave family court judges ample room to consider a parent's ideology when settling a custody case. Atheism, lack of religious observation and regular church attendance, and the inability to prove one's willingness and capacity to attend to religion with his children, have been used to deny custody to non-religious parents.

Prominent atheists and atheist groups have said that discrimination against atheists is illustrated by a statement reportedly made byGeorge H. W. Bushduring a public press conference just after announcing his candidacy for the presidency in 1987. When asked about the equal citizenship and patriotism of American atheists, Bush answered, "No, I don't know that atheists should be regarded as citizens, nor should they be regarded as patriotic. This is one nation under God.

If that was all you "just" wanted there would be no issue with me. But that's obviously not all you want is it?

(Why the comment about gay people? Are you showing your ignorance again?)

What justification do you use to discriminate against gays? YOUR RELIGION! If it weren't for god(s), what other reason could you have for discriminating against gay people?

Atheists that proselytize.... :blahblah:

That's exactly it. It seems to bother some atheists that other people believe in something outside the merely physical world. If someone believes there is purpose in life, it makes some people pretty angry.

You are ignorant.

Few politicians have been willing to identify as non-theists, since such revelations have been considered "political suicide". In 2009, City CouncilmanCecil Bothwellof North Carolina was called "unworthy of his seat" because of his open atheism. I think people who believe in an invisible man are unworthy. Several polls have shown that over 50 percent of Americans would not vote for a qualified atheist for president. Many of the respondents associated atheism with immorality, including criminal behavior, which is funny since atheists only make up about 1% of the American prison population.

Atheist parents have been discriminated against. Aschild custody laws in the United Statesare often based on the "best interests of the child" principle, they leave family court judges ample room to consider a parent's ideology when settling a custody case. Atheism, lack of religious observation and regular church attendance, and the inability to prove one's willingness and capacity to attend to religion with his children, have been used to deny custody to non-religious parents.

Prominent atheists and atheist groups have said that discrimination against atheists is illustrated by a statement reportedly made byGeorge H. W. Bushduring a public press conference just after announcing his candidacy for the presidency in 1987. When asked about the equal citizenship and patriotism of American atheists, Bush answered, "No, I don't know that atheists should be regarded as citizens, nor should they be regarded as patriotic. This is one nation under God.
Heres a news flash for ya christians get discriminated against too........

Atheists that proselytize.... :blahblah:

That's exactly it. It seems to bother some atheists that other people believe in something outside the merely physical world. If someone believes there is purpose in life, it makes some people pretty angry.

I'm thinking about my really stupid christian cousin and the attitude he has when he tells you that you won't go to heaven if you don't believe or you'll go to hell if you don't believe. He is so sure of himself and so cocky and arrogant about how we're going to hell and he's going to heaven.

And in reality he looks and sounds like a god damn fool if you ask me. What a dope. Ever notice the lower the IQ the more belief people have in god? Go down south to the bible belt and see if those people will even let you suggest that god is fake.

You are ignorant.

Heres a news flash for ya christians get discriminated against too........

How? Where? Examples?

He did not have to tell you any such thing, he chose to be an asshole, just like you do. Then you cry because other people react negatively to your negativity.

That is your problem, not mine, or anyone else's.

Forum List

Back