Theories of Violent Crime Rise in America

I think that has always been there

We have always celebrated our gun culture.
Used to be the Cowboy having a gunfight at high noon

Today, it is the video game where you choose your weapon and roam through town shooting as many victims as you can
I don't think we "celebrate" gun culture. It's one of our constitutional rights. But I do agree with you on the video games. They are basically babysitters for bad parents.

The over-diagnosis and prescription use of Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI) medication would be the real culprit here.
I've notice irrationality and over aggression in people that I know who had 2 doses recently. My THREE dose brother-in-law killed our xmas dinner and then the next day felt bad and didn't understand why we did that.

Weatherman was blathering about how moral the United States used to be, We are still talking about the US not other countries.
Thanks, I was talking with Super. If you’d like to join that conversation cool but at least read what was posted so you have some idea what youre talking about.

Slavery and Jim Crowe weren't moral.. Neither was child labor.

You reactionaries have to be dragged kicking and screaming into modernity and civil rights.
Who said those thing were moral? If we are just going to point to things that are immoral with a country or a point in history and say therefore the entire society and point in history is immoral then we might as well just state now that all societies and points in history are immoral. Though Im not sure what that does for anyone

Who said those thing were moral? If we are just going to point to things that are immoral with a country or a point in history and say therefore the entire society and point in history is immoral then we might as well just state now that all societies and points in history are immoral. Though Im not sure what that does for anyone

Remember the private armies that killed striking coal miners?

Have a little humility.

I’ve posted this before. From a suburban public high school yearbook in the 1960’s. Obviously it’s the culture. You won’t see anything remotely resembling this today…

296F53CD-9710-4C4B-90D3-88FF985B135F.jpeg

I can’t find a more recent chart of mass shootings. But they just go up exponentially as the chart continues. But there is one common theme among the timeline charts compiled out there - they only go back to the 1960’s. For good reason - mass shootings of strangers began in the 1960’s. I’m not talking about what family members and gangs have done, they go back to the days BC. I’m talking about walking into a room of strangers or slight acquaintances like coworkers and just murder them.
View attachment 581036
Americans have always owned guns. My father and his friends took rifles to school to go rabbit hunting afterwards. Machine guns and even cannons were owned by citizens through much of American history.

So what changed during the 1960’s to start this upward trend?

I’ll offer a theory as to what occurred. If you don’t like it, fine. But offer your own theory as to the catalyst that started this.

1. Decline in morality
The narcissistic ‘Me’ era was being born in the 60’s. It’s all about me. Christianity was removed from schools in 1962. Instead of sitting on the porch talking to neighbors we started sitting in front of the boob tube. Drug use was rising for the first time in America. We chuckle at ‘Sex, Drugs and Rock n Roll’ but there’s a lot to it. Sex outside of marriage and drugs are huge addictions that cause good people to do a lot of stupid things throughout history. Christianity has been on the decline since the 60’s and being replaced by every other religion.

2. Criminal behavior being idolized
In the 60’s Hollywood began a transition from movies with a moral theme to darker themed movies that now in the past few decades idolizes violent crime. Many of the mass shootings in the past few decades have been copycat I want my face to be remembered too crimes of insanity.

3. Soft on crime
The movement to eliminate the death penalty went into overdrive in the 60’s. We made it clear to everyone that no matter how horrific your actions are, we will just lock you up and give you 3 hot meals a day and you can be the cell block hero who killed all those people. Then we started to release violent felons from prison early with no justification. Right now the average time served for first degree murder is just 10 years. 68% of felons on parole will be rearrested within 3 years, 77% after 5 years. And that’s just the ones caught.

4. Illegal drug use
Illegal drug use kicked into full swing in the 60’s. Illiterate people say drugs don’t hurt anyone. Fact is drugs literally eat your body from the inside out, including your brain. And once it’s talons have sunk into you, it’s a one way road. Many children born to drug addicts have mental issues, including a lack of empathy towards others. They’d just as much get entertained watching you slowly die from being shot as they would anything else.

Break down of the family............look at the mass public shooters and whether they came from homes with fathers, or single mothers...........then look at mental illness.......the two combined mixed with the new 24/7 news cycle, and the press pushing fame on the shooters for ratings and to push anti-gun messaging and you have your explanation...

The police are taking a hands-off approach because of the George Floyd thing.

That is one part of the regular gun crime issue.....

1) the democrat party attacking our police

2) the democrat party releasing known, violent gun criminals over and over again..

What this thread deals with is nuts who walk into public places to murder innocent strangers.......

Here is the actual numbers going to 1982....as a base of reference....

US mass shootings, 1982–2021: Data from Mother Jones’ investigation

Dating back to at least 2005, the FBI and leading criminologists essentially defined a mass shooting as a single attack in a public place in which four or more victims were killed. We adopted that baseline for fatalities when we gathered data in 2012 on three decades worth of cases.
-------

• Here is a description of the criteria we use:
    • The perpetrator took the lives of at least four people. A 2008 FBI report identifies an individual as a mass murderer—versus a spree killer or a serial killer—if he kills four or more people in a single incident (not including himself), typically in a single location. (*In 2013, the US government’s fatality baseline was revised down to three; our database reflects this change beginning from Jan. 2013, as detailed above.)
    • The killings were carried out by a lone shooter. (Except in the case of the Columbine massacre and the Westside Middle School killings, which involved two shooters.)
    • The shootings occurred in a public place. (Except in the case of a party on private property in Crandon, Wisconsin, and another in Seattle, where crowds of strangers had gathered, essentially constituting a public crowd.) Crimes primarily related to gang activity or armed robbery are not included, nor are mass killings that took place in private homes (often stemming from domestic violence).
    • Perpetrators who died or were wounded during the attack are not included in the victim tallies.
    • We included a handful of cases also known as “spree killings“—cases in which the killings occurred in more than one location, but still over a short period of time, that otherwise fit the above criteria.
    ----------------------
Our research focused on indiscriminate rampages in public places resulting in four or more victims killed by the attacker. We exclude shootings stemming from more conventionally motivated crimes such as armed robbery or gang violence. (Or in which the perpetrators have not been identified.) Other news outlets and researchers have since published larger tallies that include a wide range of gun crimes in which four or more people have been either wounded or killed. While those larger datasets of multiple-victim shootings are useful for studying the broader problem of gun violence, our investigation provides an in-depth look at a distinct phenomenon—from the firearms used and mental health factors to the growing copycat problem. Tracking mass shootings is complex; we believe ours is the most useful approach for studying this specific phenomenon.

---------
The actual number of mass shootings from Mother Jones......

Here you go...the number of mass public shootings according to Mother Jones...rabid, anti gun, left wing news source.....not the NRA...

The list below comes from the old definition of 4 killed to make a shooting a mass shooting...if you now go to the link there are more than listed below...but that is because Mother Jones changed the list from the time I first posted it...and changed to obama's new standard of only 3 dead to make a mass shooting...

US Mass Shootings, 1982-2015: Data From Mother Jones' Investigation

2018... 12

2017: 11 ( 5 according to the old standard)

2015....4 ( obama's new standard....7)

2014....2 (4)

2002 not listed so more than likely 0

1985... not listed so probably 0

1983...not listed so probably 0

Deaths in actual mass public shootings... ( someone do the math and tell us what percent of 10,235 the number 73 equals.....)

2014..... 9
2013..... 36
2012..... 72
2011..... 19
2002...not listed by mother jones
1985...(none listed)
1983 (none listed)

In the 1960s, those seeking attention looked for someone to assassinate…….JFK, MLK, Malcolm X, RFK, John Lennon

After Columbine, those seeking attention looked for a high body count not a famous name

The thing before that was postal workers shooting co workers...remember those days?

So allowing slavery to thrive in this country for almost 200yrs is moral? Allowing Jim Crow segregation to thrive in this country for almost 100yrs is moral. Allowing murder, rape, brutalization, inhumane treatment of another human being is moral.

Yeah.....off topic...this isn't about slavery.

I can’t find a more recent chart of mass shootings. But they just go up exponentially as the chart continues. But there is one common theme among the timeline charts compiled out there - they only go back to the 1960’s. For good reason - mass shootings of strangers began in the 1960’s. I’m not talking about what family members and gangs have done, they go back to the days BC. I’m talking about walking into a room of strangers or slight acquaintances like coworkers and just murder them.
View attachment 581036
Americans have always owned guns. My father and his friends took rifles to school to go rabbit hunting afterwards. Machine guns and even cannons were owned by citizens through much of American history.

So what changed during the 1960’s to start this upward trend?

I’ll offer a theory as to what occurred. If you don’t like it, fine. But offer your own theory as to the catalyst that started this.

1. Decline in morality
The narcissistic ‘Me’ era was being born in the 60’s. It’s all about me. Christianity was removed from schools in 1962. Instead of sitting on the porch talking to neighbors we started sitting in front of the boob tube. Drug use was rising for the first time in America. We chuckle at ‘Sex, Drugs and Rock n Roll’ but there’s a lot to it. Sex outside of marriage and drugs are huge addictions that cause good people to do a lot of stupid things throughout history. Christianity has been on the decline since the 60’s and being replaced by every other religion.

2. Criminal behavior being idolized
In the 60’s Hollywood began a transition from movies with a moral theme to darker themed movies that now in the past few decades idolizes violent crime. Many of the mass shootings in the past few decades have been copycat I want my face to be remembered too crimes of insanity.

3. Soft on crime
The movement to eliminate the death penalty went into overdrive in the 60’s. We made it clear to everyone that no matter how horrific your actions are, we will just lock you up and give you 3 hot meals a day and you can be the cell block hero who killed all those people. Then we started to release violent felons from prison early with no justification. Right now the average time served for first degree murder is just 10 years. 68% of felons on parole will be rearrested within 3 years, 77% after 5 years. And that’s just the ones caught.

4. Illegal drug use
Illegal drug use kicked into full swing in the 60’s. Illiterate people say drugs don’t hurt anyone. Fact is drugs literally eat your body from the inside out, including your brain. And once it’s talons have sunk into you, it’s a one way road. Many children born to drug addicts have mental issues, including a lack of empathy towards others. They’d just as much get entertained watching you slowly die from being shot as they would anything else.

The increase in number of mass public shootings...tiny number as they are, is directly related to the rise in social media and the 24/7 news cycle....the guys shooting Kennedy, MLK and other public figures recieved fame because they murdered famous people......but nothing like the immediate coverage a guy can get from shooting normal people at a mall that we see today.......they don't have to worry about getting past body guards and secret service protection to get at normal people....

The social media and 24/7 news coverage is the new factor.

Forum List

Back