The Whoppers of 2017

Trump obviously lies multiple times every day. So does the media.
So did every other president. So do the partisans.
But, so far, at least trump isnt lying to get us into wars or pass major legislation that will effect every citizen in this country. At least he has that. So far.
Errr..except for the Tax Cuts, of course..where he said that the bill would not benefit him at all. I think that would qualify as a lie intended to pass major legislation that will effect every citizen, don't you?
Link to this benefiting him please.

Well..since you seemed to find it funny when I said it..although I fail to see the humor..still, why not:
White House Says Trump Could Benefit From Business Tax Cuts

"Trump has repeatedly said the legislation won’t benefit him, even insisting he’d be a “big loser” if it passes. The House approved the tax bill Tuesday afternoon. The Senate plans to begin debating the measure and is likely to approve it later in the day.
“In some ways, particularly on the personal side, the president will likely take a big hit,” Sanders said during a White House press briefing. “But on the business side he could benefit.”

Sanders added that a “number of provisions” would negatively impact the president, but didn’t specify which ones. Among other things, the bill would cap the deduction on state and local taxes, including property taxes, at $10,000.
Experts have said that Trump and other high earners would gain considerably under the plan. Many high-earning pass-through businesses -- including Trump’s many companies that own real estate assets -- would see temporary tax cuts."

Trump Says G.O.P. Tax Bill Wouldn’t Benefit Him. That’s Not True.

"President Trump likes to argue that the tax-reform legislation hurtling through Congress this week will protect low- and middle-income households, “not the wealthy and well connected.” He puts himself forward as Exhibit A.
“This is going to cost me a fortune,” he said on Wednesday in Missouri. “This is not good for me.”
So surely at least a few of the most egregious loopholes that benefit Mr. Trump and real estate developers like him will be closed.
Not in the slightest.
In fact, the proposals seem almost tailor-made to enrich the president and people like him.

“Commercial real estate came out essentially unscathed,” said Douglas Holtz-Eakin, president of the American Action Forum, a conservative advocacy group. Real estate developers “didn’t lose anything they care about,” and they got even more breaks, like a shorter depreciation schedule in the Senate tax bill, Mr. Holtz-Eakin pointed out.

“Lower pass-through rates and the repeal of the alternative minimum tax — those two alone are so hugely beneficial to Trump that I have trouble imagining any way that he wouldn’t come out ahead,” said Steve Wamhoff, senior fellow for federal tax policy at the nonpartisan Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy. (The pass-through reference involves income that typically comes from partnerships and limited liability companies.)"

Trump proposes massive tax cuts, says he won’t personally benefit

"“No I don’t benefit. I think there’s very little benefit for people of wealth,” Trump told reporters at the White House."

Trump's tax plan could actually benefit wealthy people like him

And on and on and on and on...
I laughed because i dont see how that is even comparable to war or "if you like your doctor you can keep your doctor"
How can you possibly know how he will fare? Answer? You cant.
Will his loses on the personal side outweigh his business? Who knows.
Nice try though.
Well for sure..since he keeps his taxes hidden there is no way to know..100%--but most experts agree he will make out..bigly.
Why call people liars when you cant prove it? You sound like CNN.
Thanks for wasting my fucking time.

The Whoppers of 2017 - FactCheck.org

Yup..the liar in chief wins another award--this is just a small excerpt from the article..do note that Trump was not the only liar recognized..just the most prolific--plenty of lies on both sides of the aisle:

"We first dubbed President Donald Trump, then just a candidate, as “King of Whoppers” in our annual roundup of notable false claims for 2015.

He dominated our list that year – and again in 2016 – but there was still plenty of room for others.

This year? The takeover is complete.

In his first year as president, Trump used his bully pulpit and Twitter account to fuel conspiracy theories, level unsubstantiated accusations and issue easily debunked boasts about his accomplishments.

And a chorus of administration officials helped in spreading his falsehoods.

Trump complained — without a shred of evidence — that massive voter fraud cost him the 2016 popular vote. He doubled down by creating the Presidential Advisory Commission on Election Integrity and appointing a vice chairman who falsely claimed to have “proof” that Democrats stole a U.S. Senate seat in New Hampshire.

Even as he mobilized the federal government to ferret out Democratic voter fraud, Trump refused to accept the U.S. intelligence community’s consensus finding that Russia interfered in the 2016 campaign.

Trump disparaged the “so-called ‘Russian hacking’” as a “hoax” and a “phony Russian Witch Hunt,” and compared the conduct of U.S. intelligence agencies to “Nazi Germany.” He then falsely accused the “dishonest” news media of making it “sound like I had a feud with the intelligence community.”

When he spoke of himself, Trump’s boastfulness went far beyond the facts.

He claimed that his inaugural crowd “went all the way back to the Washington Monument,” and sent out his press secretary to declare it the “largest audience to ever witness an inauguration, period, both in person and around the globe.” He described his tax plan as the “biggest tax cut in the history of our country,” and took credit for making the U.S. nuclear arsenal “far stronger and more powerful than ever” after seven months on the job. None of that was true.

Trump is clearly an outlier. If he and his aides were removed from our list, we would be left with a dozen or more notable falsehoods roughly equally distributed between the two parties. You’ll find those at the end of this very long list.

Forgive us for the length. But consider this: It could be even longer."

Trumpian Boasts
During the campaign, Trump vowed that if elected, “We’re going to win with every single facet, we’re going to win so much you may even get tired of winning.” That kind of over-the-top boasting didn’t end with his election:

• Trump claimed that China ended its currency manipulation out of “a certain respect” for him, when in reality China had not been devaluing its currency to create a trade advantage since 2014.
    • Trump claimed that “the world is starting to respect the United States of America again,” despite surveys that suggest otherwise. The White House provided no support for the statement.
    • He said that his “first order as president was to renovate and modernize our nuclear arsenal” and “it is now far stronger and more powerful than ever,” when all he did was initiate a review that won’t be done until the end of the year and is yet to result in any improvements.
    • Trump stated that his administration is “spending a lot of money on the inner cities,” although we found that there has been little change in spending so far. His first budget proposed to cut or eliminate funding for programs that benefit cities.
Jobs and the Economy
During the campaign, Trump promised he would be “the greatest jobs president that God ever created,” and ridiculed the official unemployment rates (which were steadily declining) as “phony numbers.”

In what has been a running theme since he assumed the presidency, Trump regularly boasts that he has turned the economy around — citing the official job gains and unemployment rates in speeches and tweets.

In Trump’s telling, the economy was in shambles until he won the election, and has dramatically turned around since due to his leadership. As he put it in a speech on Dec. 14, “And you remember how bad we were doing when I first took over — there was a big difference, and we were going down. This country was going economically down.” That’s not true.

Here’s a list of some of his economic boasts that were off base:

• Trump repeatedly took credit for investment and job-creation announcements that had nothing to do with him: Ford, GM and Charter Communications, to name a few. The president, for example, said Toyota’s announcement that it would invest $1.3 billion in an assembly plant in Kentucky “would not have been made if we didn’t win the election.” That’s false. Toyota spokesman Aaron Fowles told us in an interview that the investment “predates the Trump administration” and had been planned “several years ago.”
    • Trump also said he is “putting the miners back to work,” citing as evidence a new coal mine in Pennsylvania that was under construction before he won the election.
The president continues to relitigate an election that he won and repeat false claims from a year ago about his defeated opponent. Other election-related whoppers Trump told this year:

• A day after his inauguration, Trump claimed the crowd at the event “looked like a million-and-a-half people,” saying it “went all the way back to the Washington Monument.” He accused the news media of lying about it. Sean Spicer, the White House press secretary at the time, read from a statement that said: “This was the largest audience to ever witness an inauguration, period, both in person and around the globe.” Both were wrong.
    • Trump claimed his November victory was “the biggest Electoral College win since Ronald Reagan.” It wasn’t. Three presidents since Reagan captured a larger share of electoral votes than Trump did, including Republican George H.W. Bush.
    • In a blast from the campaign past, Trump repeated his claim that “Hillary Clinton gave away 20 percent of the uranium in the United States” to Russia. He’s wrong on several counts. The deal that allowed Russia to take control of a company with uranium assets in the U.S. was approved by two government bodies, not any one person. As secretary of state, Clinton was one of nine voting members of the Committee on Foreign Investments in the United States that approved the deal. The Nuclear Regulatory Commission, which also approved the deal, told us Russia has not received any U.S. uranium as a result of the transaction. Trump’s use of the 20 percent figure is also wrong.

Whoppers from the Rest
Beyond Trump and his team, there were certainly others in both parties who spread false and misleading information in 2017.

Consider the statements of former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, a Republican whose wife is the U.S. ambassador to the Vatican, and Rep. Maxine Waters, a Democrat who is perhaps the president’s fiercest critic.

In a Fox News interview, Gingrich claimed “it wasn’t the Russians” that hacked into the DNC computers, but a former DNC staffer “who, I suspect, was disgusted by the corruption of the Democratic National Committee.” He said Seth Rich “apparently was assassinated” after “having given WikiLeaks something like … 53,000 [DNC] emails and 17,000 attachments.”

This fanciful tale has no basis in fact. Gingrich repeated an inaccurate report by the local Fox News affiliate in Washington, D.C., about Rich, who was shot to death in Washington, D.C., in July 2016 in what local police have described as a likely botched robbery. Gingrich spread this widely debunked conspiracy theory even though the Fox affiliate days earlier had largely retracted its report.

For her part, Waters spread unsubstantiated rumors about Trump in an MSNBC interview. Asked about an opposition research report compiled by a former British intelligence officer on Trump’s alleged ties with Russia, Waters falsely claimed that the unsubstantiated allegations of “sex actions” made against Trump in the report are “absolutely true.” Those claims haven’t been confirmed.

Here are other notable claims made by members of both parties this year — many of them about the failed Republican attempts to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act:

• House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi said Democrats “don’t get much support from Wall Street.” That’s not so. The party’s congressional candidates got nearly $47 million from bankers, stockbrokers, hedge fund officials, venture capitalists and private equity firms in the 2016 campaign, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. That was slightly more than the $44 million that Democratic congressional candidates received during the same period from labor union PACs and officials.
    • Republican Sen. Ted Cruz claimed that “Obamacare is discouraging people from going to medical school.” There’s no evidence of that. In fact, the number of medical school applicants and enrollees reached an all-time high this year.
    • President Barack Obama, before leaving office, boasted that a treaty he signed in 2011 with Russia “has substantially reduced our nuclear stockpiles, both Russia and the United States.” In fact, the treaty does not require either nation to destroy any nuclear weapons or reduce its nuclear stockpile. The treaty, among other things, limits the number of deployed strategic nuclear warheads to 1,550 for each country, but at the time of Obama’s boast, Russia had actually increased deployed nuclear warheads under the treaty by 17 percent, from 1,537 to 1,796. As of Sept. 1, Russia reported having 1,561 deployed nuclear warheads — still 11 more than the treaty allows, although Russia has until February 2018 to comply with the 1,550 limit.
    • House Speaker Paul Ryan said he didn’t think anyone would be hurt by an $800 billion reduction in Medicaid spending over 10 years in the Republican health care bill. But, at the time, the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office estimated that 14 million fewer Americans would have Medicaid coverage by 2026, compared with current law.
    • Ryan and Independent Sen. Bernie Sanders both distorted the CBO’s analysis of the Republican health care bill. Sanders claimed that the bill “would throw 22 million Americans off of health insurance,” while Ryan said no one would be thrown off insurance. “It’s not that that people are getting pushed off our plan,” Ryan said. “It’s that people will choose not to buy something they don’t like or want.” Actually, CBO said the bill would reduce the number of people with health insurance by 22 million through a combination of both: Some would voluntarily choose not to buy health insurance, but others would no longer be eligible for Medicaid or would not be able to afford coverage.
    • Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto, a Democrat, wrongly claimed that “over 1.2 million Nevadans with preexisting conditions … would be denied coverage or face exorbitant, unaffordable premiums” under the GOP health care bill. The bill would not have allowed insurers to deny coverage. Also, the 1.2 million figure is a high-end estimate for all Nevadans with some preexisting condition — not just those likely to buy plans on the individual market who would be affected by the GOP bill.
    • Sen. Rand Paul, a Republican who voted against the health care bill, said subsidies “are actually greater under the Republican bill than they are under the current Obamacare law.” That’s wrong. CBO said the average subsidy under the bill would be “significantly lower than the average subsidy under current law,” and the government would save $424 billion over 10 years — compared with current law — due mainly to reductions in government subsidies.
    • Sen. Claire McCaskill, a Missouri Democrat, criticized Attorney General Jeff Sessions for failing to disclose that he met twice as a senator with the Russian ambassador during the campaign in 2016. Sessions said he did so as a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee. In a statement and on Twitter, McCaskill falsely claimed that in her 10 years on the Senate Armed Services Committee she had “no call from, or meeting with, the Russian ambassador. Ever.” She did.
    • Hillary Clinton falsely claimed that no debate moderator ever asked Donald Trump, “exactly how are you going to create more jobs?” It was asked in two of the three presidential debates between Clinton and Trump.
iu
Sorry, but using liberal hack sites to fact check really doesn't pass the smell test. It works with the misinformed but not with people who pay attention. This includes Fact check.org and Snopes.
Again, no need to depend on any of the people you so distrust..google up the statements and decide for yourself, right?

Google is a Clingon'...a dangling turd-ball firmly stuck to Obama's and the Democrats anus.

You can type in 'Obama Jay-Walked', and it will bring up 10 pages of false accusations against Trump...
So..use Duck, Duck, Go. Or some other search engine. For me..I have a good memory..so I remember most of those statements attributed to Trump..in many cases i heard him make them.

I nominate the OP's opening paragraph for 'whopper of 2017'

:p
Still not one alleged lie debunked...loser.
All of them have been.

CNN has retracted more fake stories than they have reported true ones; have fueled the unemployment line with their fired reporters, and have been reduced to on-air pot-smokers.

MSMBC revealed that some of it's main sources of 'legitimate' news are white supremacist web pages.

Many other leftist 'media' outlets have also been busted pushing fake news and for firing reporters.

Get real...

Errr..except for the Tax Cuts, of course..where he said that the bill would not benefit him at all. I think that would qualify as a lie intended to pass major legislation that will effect every citizen, don't you?

Well..since you seemed to find it funny when I said it..although I fail to see the humor..still, why not:

"Trump has repeatedly said the legislation won’t benefit him, even insisting he’d be a “big loser” if it passes. The House approved the tax bill Tuesday afternoon. The Senate plans to begin debating the measure and is likely to approve it later in the day.
“In some ways, particularly on the personal side, the president will likely take a big hit,” Sanders said during a White House press briefing. “But on the business side he could benefit.”

Sanders added that a “number of provisions” would negatively impact the president, but didn’t specify which ones. Among other things, the bill would cap the deduction on state and local taxes, including property taxes, at $10,000.
Experts have said that Trump and other high earners would gain considerably under the plan. Many high-earning pass-through businesses -- including Trump’s many companies that own real estate assets -- would see temporary tax cuts."

"President Trump likes to argue that the tax-reform legislation hurtling through Congress this week will protect low- and middle-income households, “not the wealthy and well connected.” He puts himself forward as Exhibit A.
“This is going to cost me a fortune,” he said on Wednesday in Missouri. “This is not good for me.”
So surely at least a few of the most egregious loopholes that benefit Mr. Trump and real estate developers like him will be closed.
Not in the slightest.
In fact, the proposals seem almost tailor-made to enrich the president and people like him.

“Commercial real estate came out essentially unscathed,” said Douglas Holtz-Eakin, president of the American Action Forum, a conservative advocacy group. Real estate developers “didn’t lose anything they care about,” and they got even more breaks, like a shorter depreciation schedule in the Senate tax bill, Mr. Holtz-Eakin pointed out.

“Lower pass-through rates and the repeal of the alternative minimum tax — those two alone are so hugely beneficial to Trump that I have trouble imagining any way that he wouldn’t come out ahead,” said Steve Wamhoff, senior fellow for federal tax policy at the nonpartisan Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy. (The pass-through reference involves income that typically comes from partnerships and limited liability companies.)"

"“No I don’t benefit. I think there’s very little benefit for people of wealth,” Trump told reporters at the White House."

I laughed because i dont see how that is even comparable to war or "if you like your doctor you can keep your doctor"
Nice try though.
Well for sure..since he keeps his taxes hidden there is no way to know..100%--but most experts agree he will make out..bigly.
Thank you..for once again proving that they call it common sense..because it's not all that common.

For me..I have a good memory..so I remember most of those statements attributed to Trump..in many cases i heard him make them.
Bwuhahahaha.....

Nothing quite as accurate as a solid partisan, sore-loser, butt-hurt, hate-driven, reality-denying memory....

Not in the slightest.

Nice try though.
Thank you..for once again proving that they call it common sense..because it's not all that common.
You already said you cant prove it, idiot. His losses in the personal aspect could far outweigh the business aspect. YOU DONT KNOW. Just like none of those other goobers.
You are liars.

There is PLENTY to bash trump about. Why fucking lie about stuff?
People are so pathetic.

How can you call Gingrich a liar when the investigation is ongoing? Because Media Matters ("we monitor only republican speech") says so?

I nominate the OP's opening paragraph for 'whopper of 2017'

Still not one alleged lie debunked...loser.
All of them have been.

CNN has retracted more fake stories than they have reported true ones; have fueled the unemployment line with their fired reporters, and have been reduced to on-air pot-smokers.

MSMBC revealed that some of it's main sources of 'legitimate' news are white supremacist web pages.

Many other leftist 'media' outlets have also been busted pushing fake news and for firing reporters.

Get real...
So..you take you cue from Trump..and lie. CNN retracted more fake stories than they have reported true ones/ Really? That they fired those reporters..a couple out of hundreds..speaks to their credibility...when confronted with unethical behavior..they acted--I get that you are committed to not seeing it that way. I'm no fan of CNN--but compared to Fox or Brietbart--they do OK. Dunno about the MSNBC thing..but somehow, I doubt it is as you portray it. I just did a quick web crawl--yup..is just a alt/right smear campaign..what a surprise.

Again..you have not addressed one allegation in the op..because you cannot..simple as that.

People are so pathetic.
Was not a lie..and you know it...at worst it was an allegation based on some pretty good data. Why do you not address that? But we do agree on one thing..people are pathetic..we just disagree on just who gets that title.

So..you take you cue from Trump..and lie.

No. Way to start the new year by lying and trying to make false issues so you will have something to rail against.

So mush for hoping snowflakes would be more honest this new year. Day 2, and that's shot to hell....

For me..I have a good memory..so I remember most of those statements attributed to Trump..in many cases i heard him make them.
Bwuhahahaha.....

Nothing quite as accurate as a solid partisan, sore-loser, butt-hurt, hate-driven, reality-denying memory....

Well...you would know..now wouldn't you? BTW..still not one fact in the op debunked--just a lot of hot flatulence erupting from your head.

So..you take you cue from Trump..and lie.

No. Way to start the new year by lying and trying to make false issues so you will have something to rail against.

So mush for hoping snowflakes would be more honest this new year. Day 2, and that's shot to hell....
If they are false..prove it! Of course, you cannot...all you have are lame excuses and tired rhetoric.

People are so pathetic.
Was not a lie..and you know it...at worst it was an allegation based on some pretty good data. Why do you not address that? But we do agree on one thing..people are pathetic..we just disagree on just who gets that title.
Data that doesnt even exist? o_O
It was a lie. You tried to spout it off to deceive, which is the very def of a lie.

New Topics

Forum List

Back