The ways Hillary Clinton disappointed me in the Debate.

R

rdean

We know the debate has to be about policy. People need to know what the president is going to try to do. It can't be just bashing.

Hillary laid out what she wanted to do about manufacturing.

About the police and communication with the communities they police.

What she would do about hostile cyberhacking.

What she would do to pay for her policies.

Trump's policies were, well, I'm not sure. Maybe one of his minions could explain.

-----------

Remember, there will be two more debates. So all of the issues that weren't brought up this time still have a chance.

There were some of the things Trump said that Clinton didn't bring up that bothered me. But they weren't the most important.

There are three things that Presidents should follow through with:

1. Promoting American Values overseas

2. Following the Constitution.

3. Promoting Free Trade.

In fact, historically, those three have been owned by Republicans.

Trump is against all three of those and Hillary should have nailed him on that and didn't. And that bothered me more than anything else.

Democrats following the Constitution? Free trade doesn't mean bad trade and what does promoting American values mean to you and how is Trump against it?

We know the debate has to be about policy. People need to know what the president is going to try to do. It can't be just bashing.

Trump's policies were, well, I'm not sure. Maybe one of his minions could explain.

-----------

Remember, there will be two more debates. So all of the issues that weren't brought up this time still have a chance.

There were some of the things Trump said that Clinton didn't bring up that bothered me. But they weren't the most important.

3. Promoting Free Trade.

Trump is against all three of those and Hillary should have nailed him on that and didn't. And that bothered me more than anything else.

So you're upset that Hillary didn't promote values neither you or her believe in?

Hillary spoke in cliches and sound bytes 99% of the time. She basically had 5 speeches she recited. You can see the glazed over look in her eyes when she is reciting her memorized speeches and when she had to think for herself, she read from her notes.

He is human, she is a cyborg.

I was hoping she'd seize up, fall to the floor and flop like a carp out of water.
That just proves you are a creepy ****. But we both already knew that. Talk about mean spirit. You must be a Republican. That would explain it.

I was hoping she'd seize up, fall to the floor and flop like a carp out of water.
That just proves you are a creepy ****. But we both already knew that. Talk about mean spirit. You must be a Republican. That would explain it.

I'm not a republican, Derp. I'm a conservative, do yourself a favor and learn the difference. Not only that I couldn't care less what some old tool like you thinks of me.

Hillary should have boasted how Bill had the best ever Jobs Record, Economy & Drop in Crime. She should have also pointed out how fast crime fell prior to stop n frisk.

Hillary spoke in cliches and sound bytes 99% of the time. She basically had 5 speeches she recited. You can see the glazed over look in her eyes when she is reciting her memorized speeches and when she had to think for herself, she read from her notes.

He is human, she is a cyborg.

It could have been her body double

Democrats following the Constitution? Free trade doesn't mean bad trade and what does promoting American values mean to you and how is Trump against it?
1. Trump talked about reneging on our treaties with our friends. Going back on our word, turning "protection" into a racket and so on. These are not "American Values". I know you won't understand, but there are millions of Americans that do.

2. Assaulting young men on the street. Throwing them against the wall. Putting hands on them. Insulting them. Disrespecting them. It's all unconstitutional. To say it's OK for the black and Hispanic communities and not for the white community is not only unconstitutional, but it's racist.
A religious test is unconstitutional. For obvious reasons.

3. Trump doesn't promote free trade. Our government can't tell companies whether they can stay or leave. He said nothing about small business. You know, small business? Where most Americans are employed? And he lied about Ford. Ford didn't lose thousands of jobs. Small cars were moved to Mexico. But that line was replaced with two other lines. No jobs were lost. He has to lie to get you people to support him?
And this idea about trillions waiting to come in if we just didn't tax it. Remember, this has happened twice before. The same damn argument. And what happened? Did it spur job creation? No, it didn't. It went into people's stock pay ins and money accounts. It only created more of an income gap.

And you guys don't even bother to look up anything he says. Or question anything. You just go along with it like a bunch of fucking lemmings. And if anyone tries to get you to stop and think or investigate, you attack. Remember how much you guys loved Bush? How did that work out?

I'm not a republican, Derp. I'm a conservative, do yourself a favor and learn the difference. Not only that I couldn't care less what some old tool like you thinks of me.
Well that's worse. Conservatives are afraid of learning. That's been made perfectly clear. It's not an ideology. It's a handicap.

Hillary should have boasted how Bill had the best ever Jobs Record, Economy & Drop in Crime. She should have also pointed out how fast crime fell prior to stop n frisk.
I was thinking the same thing, but there are two more debates.

Well that's worse. Conservatives are afraid of learning. That's been made perfectly clear. It's not an ideology. It's a handicap.

Yeah Derp, I've seen your "education" on here, you're as fucking stupid as a stump

Yeah Derp, I've seen your "education" on here, you're as fucking stupid as a stump

Come on. Be reasonable here. He isn't that smart

3. Promoting Free Trade.

On the third point, neither Mrs. Clinton nor Trump have a way to win in my mind on that point because neither one of them is currently keen on free trade, yet there's not any credible empirical evidence that the benefits of free trade are outweighed by the downsides of it.
There's no question that there are downsides accruing from free trade, but even the folks who think their fortunes have been harmed by free trade are better of with it than without it. They don't realize they are because the gains don't appear in a monthly check so that they are readily visible and easily tracked. I can understand how that is. Most folks have no idea of what consumer surplus is, so it's unlikely they are going to measure it as it appears (or doesn't) in their lives.

I will try to explain it using Ford and their decision to move their small vehicle manufacturing operations to Mexico. First some basics:
  • Factory worker wages (not including benefits and other wage-related costs):
  • Percentage of car cost attributable to labor: ~10% (I don't know if this is direct labor, direct + indirect, or direct + indirect + labor overhead)
  • "Small Cars" -- I don't know what constitutes a "small car" in Ford's mind, but I see that the Fiesta, Lincoln, MKZ and Ford Fusion will be built in Mexico.
  • Smaller Fords generally cost less than larger ones and there is generally less gross profit to be made in less expensive goods. (There's no way to know for sure what the profit margins are on individuals models. One can sort of "back into" it by analyzing EBITDA and apportioning that over cars produced, but that's still a best guess of sorts.) As the gross profit sum decreases, the margin/profitability per unit becomes more critical because one's dependence on sales volume increases.
  • Selected vehicle estimated selling price (from manufacturer to dealer):
I suspect Ford is highly unlikely to lower the cost of its small cars once it begins building them in Mexico. What folks are less likely to recognize is that were Ford to keep building them in the U.S., the cost of the car (to dealers, and ultimately to consumers) would increase faster than it will with it being built at a ~90% average savings in direct labor wage cost. I mean really. Who thinks, "Boy, I bet this car would be even more expensive were it built in the U.S."?

Accordingly, though the consumer surplus (perceived value of the car) is the same no matter who builds it -- Ford offers the same warranties and whatnot no matter the build location -- the sum consumers actually pay is kept lower than it otherwise would be were it build in the U.S.

consumer_surplus_intro.png

-----------

3. Promoting Free Trade.

In general I agree. Hillary was solid- but didn't solidly identify the economic reasons why Trump could be a tragedy for America.

Trump's stated policies would like end up in a major Trade war- and a major Trade war would kill American exports- and raise the costs of everything America imports.

Now Billionaires like Trump won't care if their next Ferrari costs an additional 30% but the middle income America will notice if his next Ford costs an additional 30%.

Trump's policies are a road map to a trade war- and that should worry anyone who understands economic history

Also- Hillary should have used humor against Trump more. Maybe she can't- but the counter to Trump's bizarreness is to mock him and piss him off.

I like that she discussed infrastructure, science, r&d and education. That is what is important.
she discussed nothing, but she made some vague ambiguous references to things you may have mistaken for what you believe to be infrastructure, science, etc.

I like that she discussed infrastructure, science, r&d and education. That is what is important.
she discussed nothing, but she made some vague ambiguous references to things you may have mistaken for what you believe to be infrastructure, science, etc.
You have to admit, Republicans are funny when it comes to science.

Vaccines cause autism

Young earth

People can't change the climate

20151109_china9.jpg

Anyone who says people can't change the climate and then uses the words "nuclear winter" is an idiot.

Forum List

Back