The Vast of Night

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
I was going to post the trailer to this movie, but decided not to. You should go into this movie cold like I did. The trailer lets you know too much. Don't watch the trailer. Go into this movie cold, you'll be glad you did.

I cannot think of an Amazon Prime movie I have ever liked. This is the first one.

The Vast of Night takes place in the late 50s in New Mexico. The Cold War.

The two people who wrote the teleplay are geniuses. The dialog is brilliant, snappy, original, and all the good things. They capture all the 1950s nuances perfectly.

They also chose the two best actors for the main characters. I am very glad they did not use any big stars in this film. I fell in love with these characters almost immediately.

Brilliant, brilliant movie.

I am definitely going to watch it again tomorrow. I would watch it again right now, back-to-back, but it is my bedtime.

There are less than ten movies I have ever wanted to watch again.

Titanic? Nope. I was not impressed.

The Good, Bad, and the Ugly? Oh, hell yeah. I've watched that one over 20 times.

The Vast of Night is at least a two-fer. I will watch it a second time at least.

Look for the easter eggs. Note the radio station call letters. ;)

This movie does have an ambiguous ending. That seems to be the current fad in movies these days.

My impression of what happened has been different from what most people seem to think happened.

I can't wait until tomorrow.

Last edited:
I was going to post the trailer to this movie, but decided not to. You should go into this movie cold like I did. The trailer lets you know too much. Don't watch the trailer. Go into this movie cold, you'll be glad you did.

I cannot think of an Amazon Prime movie I have ever liked. This is the first one.

The two people who wrote the teleplay are geniuses. The dialog is brilliant, snappy, original, and all the good things.

They also chose the two best actors for the main characters. They capture the whole 1950s nuance perfectly. I am very glad they did not use any big stars in this film. I fell in love with these characters almost immediately.

I am definitely going to watch it again tomorrow. I would watch it again right now, back-to-back, but it is my bedtime.

There are less than ten movies I have ever wanted to watch again. Titanic? Nope. The Good, Bad, and the Ugly? Oh, hell yeah. I've watched that one over 20 times.

The Vast of Night is at least a two-fer. I will watch it a second time at least.

This movie does have an ambiguous ending. That seems to be the current fad in movies these days.

My impression of what happened has been different from what most people seem to think happened.

Thanks for the review. We'll check it out.

Saw it the other night. Didn't have all that high expectations going in but ended up pleasantly surprised. Definitely worth a watch. I thought it was pretty creepy when that phrase was told to the people in the front seat of the car.

What do you think happened?
I couldn't decide if they were taken or burnt to a crisp.

Saw it the other night. Didn't have all that high expectations going in but ended up pleasantly surprised. Definitely worth a watch. I thought it was pretty creepy when that phrase was told to the people in the front seat of the car.

What do you think happened?
I couldn't decide if they were taken or burnt to a crisp.
Most people seem to think they were abducted, since that is the current mythology surrounding UFOs. However, I think they were turned to ash. The narrative of the film all points toward hostility.

I tried. Just couldn't even get past the first episode.
Are you sure you are talking about the same thing? The Vast of Night is not episodic. It's one movie.
Yes, I know. I couldn't get thru it. First 30 minutes is just that girl yammering away about shit I couldn't make heads or tails of. I just couldn't get in to it.

The two people who wrote the teleplay are geniuses. The dialog is brilliant, snappy, original, and all the good things. They capture all the 1950s nuances perfectly.

They also chose the two best actors for the main characters. I am very glad they did not use any big stars in this film. I fell in love with these characters almost immediately.

There are less than ten movies I have ever wanted to watch again.

Titanic? Nope. I was not impressed.

The Good, Bad, and the Ugly? Oh, hell yeah. I've watched that one over 20 times.

Great recommendation!!

Truly awesome movie, very well written, acted and directed

Great story telling!

Hopefully theres a sequel where we discover if Lenny and his trombone are reunited

New Topics

Forum List

Back