The Value of an In-Law Suite in a Home

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
When I built my current house, we had one son, knew that we would never have more kids, and my elderly father lived with us.

We built a large (3,500 ft2) house with a complete apartment for my father in the basement. Three bedrooms upstairs.

Of course, in due time my father passed away and my son moved out, and now we are moving to a Condo/Townhouse.

When we built the current house (1987), we assumed or hoped that the apartment would be a net POSITIVE when it came time to sell, because others would need such a space for various reasons (elderly relative, college student, visiting parents from another country). When we listed our house the Real Estate Lady said the same, and the house was listed at "top dollar."

Now, three months later, the house has been viewed by about 40 prospective buyers, and NO ONE has indicated any interest in utilizing the apartment. In fact, the one offer we have was coupled with questions about whether the walls of the apartment were "bearing," and could they be removed without compromising the structure of the house? They would prefer one large open space in the basement (but like having a full bathroom there).

So we have accepted an offer that is about $50k below what comparable houses in our neighborhood were selling for, and as such things go, we are glad for the offer. Tired of having two homes and having to keep the old one looking like Better Homes and Gardens. Truly, we wouldn't have done anything differently if we had know how this would turn out - I wanted my dad to have his own space - but it is a little surprising that not a single buyer had any interest in having an apartment in the house.

Live and learn.

Since people don't have live-in maids really anymore, I can see why nobody really wanted to pay "extra" for an in-law suite, especially in a basement. In addition, an 80's era house is consider old/dated in this market per the realtor on my house for which I was the only person who submitted an offer after like 8 months on the market

I guess very few people have an elderly parent who needs someplace to live. Or they don't think they have any obligation to provide one.

I guess very few people have an elderly parent who needs someplace to live. Or they don't think they have any obligation to provide one.
they just dump them into a nursing home,, its far easier,,

we bought the small house next door for my mother in law,, spent 50K on the house and put 30K into it and shes got a nice little house 200 ft away form us,,

soon she will have to move in with us because shes getting pretty unstable on her ft and needs people close by at all time,,

both my wife and I work from home now so its not a big deal,,

an in house apartment would be better but I dont like big houses,,1200-1500 sq ft max,,

Forum List

Back