The U.S.A. Constitution!

1stRambo

Gold Member
Feb 8, 2015
Yo, fast forward to Larry Elder, he will tell you about the "Real Constitution!!!"

"GTP"
4ac5ed5252f8711836915110ea4a3aeb.jpg

Usually it's stated as; The Constitution of the United States......since America includes two continents..

I can read the Constitution myself. Who needs to listen to Larry Elder or any other wingnut has to say about it?

People that bitch about our federal government the loudest seem to have the least understanding of our constitution. the constitution is quite broad in the power of the federal government and the supreme court has the power of judicial review and case law...The idea of going back to the 18th century is also retarded.

The Constitution exists solely in the context of its case law, as determined by the Supreme Court, not by wrongheaded reactionary libertarians and their pathetic fantasy of an American past that never actually existed to begin with.

People that bitch about our federal government the loudest seem to have the least understanding of our constitution. the constitution is quite broad in the power of the federal government and the supreme court has the power of judicial review and case law...The idea of going back to the 18th century is also retarded.

Actually the legislative powers granted by the states to congress are quite limited. See article I, section 8. Raising taxes. Establishing weights, measures, and monetary standards. Regulating commerce with foreign nations and among the states. Protecting the states from invasion.

Not what I would characterize as "quite broad".

Actually the legislative powers granted by the states to congress are quite limited. See article I, section 8. Raising taxes. Establishing weights, measures, and monetary standards. Regulating commerce with foreign nations and among the states. Protecting the states from invasion.

matter of pov.

matter of pov.

Agreed. One could, I suppose, consider the powers granted in article I, section 8 to be quite broad. However it's a fact they are not nearly as broad as the powers that congress is currently exercising, not by a long shot.

matter of pov.

Agreed. One could, I suppose, consider the powers granted in article I, section 8 to be quite broad. However it's a fact they are not nearly as broad as the powers that congress is currently exercising, not by a long shot.
needless comparison

matter of pov.

needless comparison

needless comparison?

If you used a few more words, I might have a clue as to your point.

Having a powerless federal government was the last thing the founders wanted after the failure of the first system. They designed our current constitution to grant the federal government the power to tax and to do things...

The original system in the 1780's couldn't do anything...This was a major factor in designing the current constitution. They also understood that times would change and so they granted the supreme court Judaical review to keep up with reality.

Presidents like Adams were supporters of large government
The first treasury sectary Hamilton started the first national bank

It was all about giving the people a say in their government...NOT a government that had no power like liberterians want. Of course, that was sealed with the federalist papers that were being debated around the same time.

The basic concept is quite simple, yet misunderstood almost universally. The 13 colonies were STATES, which is a synonym for COUNTRIES. They joined together with the idea that some basic, important functions could best be done by an umbrella government, without the STATES losing their sovereignty. The functions are detailed in Article I, Section 8. They include printing money, raising an army, establishing a post office and patent office, and so on.

EVERYTHING ELSE was reserved to the states. Everything else includes things like real estate law, education, family law, criminal law, commercial law, zoning, health care, professional credentials, et cetera.

Today's Lefties spit on this division of authority and want the federal government to control EVERYTHING, one way or another. Hence we have the EPA, DoE, Social Security Administration, departments of housing, small business administration, and dozens of others that operate totally outside the constraints of the still - applicable Constitution.

Which is why the re e can be no compromise between Left and Right in this country. One side respects the Constitution, and the other side rejects it utterly.

Free college education? Un. Fucking. Believable

Having a powerless federal government was the last thing the founders wanted after the failure of the first system. They designed our current constitution to grant the federal government the power to tax and to do things...

The original system in the 1780's couldn't do anything...This was a major factor in designing the current constitution. They also understood that times would change and so they granted the supreme court Judaical review to keep up with reality.

Presidents like Adams were supporters of large government
The first treasury sectary Hamilton started the first national bank

It was all about giving the people a say in their government...NOT a government that had no power like liberterians want. Of course, that was sealed with the federalist papers that were being debated around the same time.

When the states created their union, they didn't create it to be powerless. They gave it a specific set of powers. These specific powers are enumerated in article I, section 8.

The problem is that the government created by the states has exercised powers they were never given.

The Constitution is what the Court say it is.
Justice Holmes
If the federal government is the sole judge of what the constitution says, why was it necessary to write the constitution down in the first place? Why is it even necessary if nobody knows what it says?

What you might characterize is subjective opinion, irrelevant, and wrong.

The fact remains that the Constitution affords Congress powers both expressed and implied.

And the fact remains that the Constitution exists solely in the context of its case law, as determined by the Supreme Court, authorized by the doctrine of judicial review, Articles III and VI of the Constitution, and the interpretive authority of the courts.

“But that’s not in the Constitution” is a failed and ignorant ‘argument.’

The basic concept is quite simple, yet misunderstood almost universally. The 13 colonies were STATES, which is a synonym for COUNTRIES. They joined together with the idea that some basic, important functions could best be done by an umbrella government, without the STATES losing their sovereignty. The functions are detailed in Article I, Section 8. They include printing money, raising an army, establishing a post office and patent office, and so on.

EVERYTHING ELSE was reserved to the states. Everything else includes things like real estate law, education, family law, criminal law, commercial law, zoning, health care, professional credentials, et cetera.

Today's Lefties spit on this division of authority and want the federal government to control EVERYTHING, one way or another. Hence we have the EPA, DoE, Social Security Administration, departments of housing, small business administration, and dozens of others that operate totally outside the constraints of the still - applicable Constitution.

Which is why the re e can be no compromise between Left and Right in this country. One side respects the Constitution, and the other side rejects it utterly.

Free college education? Un. Fucking. Believable
This is as ignorant as it is ridiculous and wrong, typical of most on the right.

The ‘basic concept’ is that the Federal Constitution, its case law, Federal laws, and the rulings of Federal courts are the supreme law of the land, binding on the states and local jurisdictions:

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding. Article VI, US Cont.

“8. The interpretation of the Fourteenth Amendment enunciated by this Court in the Brown case is the supreme law of the land, and Art. VI of the Constitution makes it of binding effect on the States "any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding." P. 18.

9. No state legislator or executive or judicial officer can war against the Constitution without violating his solemn oath to support it. P. 18.” Cooper V. Aaron (1958).

This fact of Constitutional law is settled, accepted, and beyond dispute.

What you might characterize is subjective opinion, irrelevant, and wrong.

The fact remains that the Constitution affords Congress powers both expressed and implied.

And the fact remains that the Constitution exists solely in the context of its case law, as determined by the Supreme Court, authorized by the doctrine of judicial review, Articles III and VI of the Constitution, and the interpretive authority of the courts.

“But that’s not in the Constitution” is a failed and ignorant ‘argument.’

When they created their union, the states gave congress limited legislative powers. The constitution enumerates these legislative powers, and the necessary and proper clause allows congress to enact laws that are both necessary and proper for carrying them into execution, thus, implying these additional legislative powers.

So the small set of specific legislative powers granted to congress, and the implied powers necessary and proper to carry them into execution. Nothing more than that, so really pretty limited.

If we are to believe the framers it was we the people that created the Constitution, not we the states.

Forum List

Back