The truly horrible House gun bill

I agree it is hard, usually because of a lack of specific enough information that is actionable at the time. But red flag laws are temporary, not permanent, and they do require court to approve. Guns are rights with responsibilities.
If he man is too dangerous to have a gun he’s also too dangerous to walk around free

Because there are many ways to kill people

If he man is too dangerous to have a gun he’s also too dangerous to walk around free

Because there are many ways to kill people
I disagree. A gun changes everything. It isn’t just about killing people for them. You don’t hear about mass knifing attacks or such.

They CAN’T do anything without laws in place that would allow it.
This argument was used in the Cruz case.

A written or verbal threat to kill or do bodily harm is a felony.

Written or verbal threats to kill or do bodily harm is a felony. Here's something to help you see how this kind of thing works. Let me know if you need more examples; there are plenty.

According to a report released by the Warren-based State Police, around 10:00 a.m. on Tuesday, March 6, PSP Warren Troopers responded to the Sheffield Area Middle High School to investigate a verbal threat which was made by a known juvenile male indicating he would “shoot up the school.” As troopers arrived on the scene, the threat was assessed and thoroughly investigated.

The juvenile was taken into custody, while a juvenile petition was being prepared to charge him with third-degree felony Terroristic Threats
. . .

http://explorevenango.com/breaking-...-shoot-up-the-school-in-sheffield-and-warren/

Last edited:

So then, here's the question: should we allow anyone at all to legally buy a gun? Some say background checks are unconstitutional and therefore should be illegal, do you agree with that? Should we try to prevent shootings by trying to deny a person access to a gun by an authorized judge? Should we deny the purchase of a gun to persons who have been found guilty of domestic violence? Most Americans say yes, we should make that effort, and by a wide margin too. If not, that means everyone can have a gun if they want one, no questions asked. What does mean for public safety and security? As bad as shootings are now, wouldn't they be more prevalent if we make it easy for the nutjobs and the criminals to acquire as many guns as they want.

Idiot. If she had the guns locked in a safe he couldn’t have gotten hold of them to kill her. :rolleyes:

Under current law what could they have done and what law would have allowed it?

That is part of the problem. On the other hand it is very difficult to commit people involuntarily. You are justifying removing rights (freedom) by involuntarily committing a person rather than removing another right (firearms) for the same reason. If it is a slippery slope for you in regards to firearms…well why not for freedom?

Does your vocabulary ever extend beyond “dumbass” and “moron”?

Florida didn’t have a red flag law prior to Parkland, in fact it was Parkland that finally forced it. Since then, it has been used 3,500 times (as of 2020).

And Texas has some of the loosest gun laws in the country. They all knew he was a dangerous nut but no laws allowed them to act on it.

Moron...he had been planning the killing for months if not over a year, he likely had the combination to the safe already...you idiot.

Texas emergency protective orders....the domestic arrest they could have made...

The arrest they could have made for killing cats...

House Bill 653 and Senate Bill 1724, commonly known as “Loco’s Law,” went into effect September 1, 2001, making animal cruelty a felony and punishable by a $10,000 fine and up to two years in jail.

Shooting people with a BB gun is also an arrestable and convictable offense....

If someone is a danger to themselves there are ways to commit them through due process.......you want to ban guns for people who have committed no crime.....that is stupid....

Under current law what could they have done and what law would have allowed it?
If he were exhibiting that he was a danger to himself or others an EPO could have been issued rendering him ineligible and forcing him to at least undergo a psychiatric evaluation.

Apparently though he wasn't nor would there be any justification for a taking without same.

I disagree. A gun changes everything. It isn’t just about killing people for them. You don’t hear about mass knifing attacks or such.
I think twisted publicity seekers are being encouraged to kill people by the news media

As you point out, kill someone with a knife and you are ignored

Use an AR-15 and you become a celebrity

So then, here's the question: should we allow anyone at all to legally buy a gun? Some say background checks are unconstitutional and therefore should be illegal, do you agree with that? Should we try to prevent shootings by trying to deny a person access to a gun by an authorized judge? Should we deny the purchase of a gun to persons who have been found guilty of domestic violence? Most Americans say yes, we should make that effort, and by a wide margin too. If not, that means everyone can have a gun if they want one, no questions asked. What does mean for public safety and security? As bad as shootings are now, wouldn't they be more prevalent if we make it easy for the nutjobs and the criminals to acquire as many guns as they want.
I dont think background checks are unconstitutional

I think if you want to take a man’s gun away we already have a process for that

Convicted felons are not allowed to own guns

But lazy gun grabbers want take guns away based on hearsay

Thats unacceptable

I think twisted publicity seekers are being encouraged to kill people by the news media

As you point out, kill someone with a knife and you are ignored

Use an AR-15 and you become a celebrity
It isn’t that your ignored. Most shootings are ignored frankly. If some one is killed, unless there are unusual circumstances, it barely get’s a column.

A mass killing is different, no matter HOW it is done, whether bomb, arson or gun. Knifings don’t generated huge numbers of casualties and that is a simple fact.

It isn’t that your ignored. Most shootings are ignored frankly. If some one is killed, unless there are unusual circumstances, it barely get’s a column.

A mass killing is different, no matter HOW it is done, whether bomb, arson or gun. Knifings don’t generated huge numbers of casualties and that is a simple fact.
How do you feel about hysterical people deciding that a man who shoots his wife and lover and then turns the gun on himself is a mass shooter? Used to be called a murder suicide. But that doesn't have the same emotional impact as "mass shooter," does it?

How do you feel about hysterical people deciding that a man who shoots his wife and lover and then turns the gun on himself is a mass shooter? Used to be called a murder suicide. But that doesn't have the same emotional impact as "mass shooter," does it?
...never heard of that being referred to as a "mass shooting".
Nor would I call it one.

I somewhat disagree

The black guy who ran over the white ladies at a Christmas parade did get some attention

But no one was callIng for red flag laws or the confiscation of automobiles

I somewhat disagree

The black guy who ran over the white ladies at a Christmas parade did get some attention

But no one was callIng for red flag laws or the confiscation of automobiles
He got a lot of attention, at least in the news sources I read
and I don’t think it was white only parade either.

But there are some key differences.

The primary purpose of cars is to transport things.
The primary purpose of guns is to kill things.
You can’t stuff a car into a knapsack and sneak it into a school.
You might not have red flag laws but you can lose your license if you drive while impaired, accumulate too many etc.

As I've shown the can and do, they are just very uncommon.

The primary purpose of guns is to kill things.
That certainly isn't true. Most guns are never used for anything other than target shooting if they are shot at all.

We live in a world where on any given day you can be the victim of a home invasion, car jacking, or road rage incident where the "rager" decides to use his vehicle as a weapon or pulls a gun on you. Armed robberies are common as well.

Your best option for self defense in those cases is a firearm.

Our rights are not predicated on what anyone thinks we need but virtually every American can certainly justify owning them for self defense.

Forum List

Back