The Sound of Magic - Netflix

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
The Sound of Magic is a South Korean series on Netflix subtitled and dubbed. It revolves around a girl in high school who once believed in magic but due to misfortunes she is totally consumed with the reality of survival without her parents. She meets a magician in a closed amusement park and he asks, Do you believe in magic? And what follows is a wonderful story of a young girl having to grow up too fast and magician who yearns to be a child again. The writing is excellent, performances are solid, and visuals are stunning as is the music. Rotten Tomatoes gives it 100% and critics give it 4 out 5 to 5 out of 5.

I loved the part when the young girl danced on a mountaintop and sang…….The hills are alive with the sound of magic

1678055109963.jpeg

Slum Dog Magician?
Not really. This is very different than Slumdog Millionaire. It is a fantasy about a young girl who once believed in magic but misfortunes in her life have turned her into a realist.

Not really. This is very different than Slumdog Millionaire. It is a fantasy about a young girl who once believed in magic but misfortunes in her life have turned her into a realist.

Doesn't every kid believe in magic and mythical creatures until life slaps them into reality?

hp.gif

Doesn't every kid believe in magic and mythical creatures until life slaps them into reality?

View attachment 762894
Maybe so. In this movie the girl had lost here belief in magic. Her life was taking care of her young sister, working afternoons to earn enough money to live on while going to school. She never knows if or when her parents will ever return. Eventually the magician rekindles her belief in magic when his tricks are no longer tricks.

Maybe so. In this movie the girl had lost here belief in magic. Her life was taking care of her young sister, working afternoons to earn enough money to live on while going to school. She never knows if or when her parents will ever return. Eventually the magician rekindles her belief in magic when his tricks are no longer tricks.

Man! Spoiler Alert!

Just finished watching it. I'd give it three out of five stars. It kept me awake and the main actors were very good, but man, a lot of the acting was truly pathetic, especially the mother of the rich kid with glasses and the perverted shop owner. Still, the poorly translated captions were hilarious to read as the actors said something completely different time and again. The musical bits were done pretty well. The magic was performed beautifully.

Just finished watching it. I'd give it three out of five stars. It kept me awake and the main actors were very good, but man, a lot of the acting was truly pathetic, especially the mother of the rich kid with glasses and the perverted shop owner. Still, the poorly translated captions were hilarious to read as the actors said something completely different time and again. The musical bits were done pretty well. The magic was performed beautifully.

I agree. Overall it was better than most South Korean productions on Netflix. I love the way the magician and girl delivered the line, "DO.....You.....Believe....... In...... Magic. I have noticed in South Korean films, actors they tend to overact when expressing anger or violence.

There is one S. Korean series on Netflix I liked better was The Kings Affection. It has a very good but rather complex plot. The story is set during the Joseon dynasty, at a time when twins were considered an ominous sign. As a result, when the Crown Princess gives birth to twins, an order is sent to kill the daughter. To save her, she is secretly sent out of the palace. Years later, when the son who's the crown prince is accidentally killed, the mother persuades her daughter to take her son's place as the prince. This becomes the great secret that she will have to live with. The girl masquerades as her brother by shutting herself off from almost everybody. Many interesting events occur in the 20 episode series such as fighting on the battlefield as a man, falling in love, and being pressured to marry and produce and heir all which is a huge problem. Park Eun-bin who plays the girl is excellent. She has played in many S. Korean production. On Netflix she played the lead in the series, Extraordinary Attorney Woo.

The series is pretty long, over 20 hours. It is subtitled and dubbed and you have to pay close attention because the cast is large and there are many charters who dress alike. If you can get past this and you like well acted intense romantic dramas with some pretty violate fight scenes you will probably agree with critics like Rotten Tomatoes who gave it a 91% and critics who awarded the series the best international series of 2022 and Park Eun-bin the best actress of 2022.

The Kings Affection
Watched about half so far. Started off okay. First few episodes. Now each puts me to sleep within ten minutes. The wife manages five tops. Sappy, slow, and insultingly farfetched. Two stars for not being the usual gratuitous sex and violence. Best I can do. Sorry.

Watched about half so far. Started off okay. First few episodes. Now each puts me to sleep within ten minutes. The wife manages five tops. Sappy, slow, and insultingly farfetched. Two stars for not being the usual gratuitous sex and violence. Best I can do. Sorry.
Sorry to waste your time. Judging from your posts I would think that this would not be your kind of film. I think what I like most about the series is the originality of the story. So much of the stuff on Netflix is just not very original. I thought the acting was pretty good but that's pretty hard to judge considering the script we saw in the translation. The translators often run into phrases and sentences that just can not be translated accurate. Unless the translators are familiar with what the director is trying to accomplish in the scene, the translation is likely to be totally inappropriate. I was watching a movie recently in which a young warrior was leaving his beloved wife to go into battle and would probably never return. There was quite a bit of dialog about their love and promise to be faithfully forever. The last line of the warrior was, "Time to go, I'll see you around." "See you around", he's not going get a 6 pack at the grocery. He's leaving for war and will probably never see the love of his life again. Translators and voice actors can totally ruin a script an make a fine performance look totally inept.

I give this series 4 out 5 stars. A great story idea that is only hampered by the translation, pretty good acting, wonderful cinematography and music. Overall, I found it very enjoyable.

Forum List

Back