The "school police force" farce

Robert Urbanek

Platinum Member
Nov 9, 2019
Vacaville, CA
When I first heard of the “Chief of the School Police” in the Uvalde massacre story, I thought “Say what?”

I had heard of universities having their own campus police, but I had never heard of an elementary/high school district having its own police force. Apparently, that issue finally got some national media attention today when a police chief on ABC News said that, apart from firing the school police chief, the Uvalde school district should consider contracting its policing services from a law enforcement agency (presumably from a city police department or county sheriff’s department).

I suspect the so-called “school police force” was created to give jobs to friends and relatives of school board members and was little more than a collection of glorified security guards with little or no actual law enforcement training.

When I first heard of the “Chief of the School Police” in the Uvalde massacre story, I thought “Say what?”

I had heard of universities having their own campus police, but I had never heard of an elementary/high school district having its own police force. Apparently, that issue finally got some national media attention today when a police chief on ABC News said that, apart from firing the school police chief, the Uvalde school district should consider contracting its policing services from a law enforcement agency (presumably from a city police department or county sheriff’s department).

I suspect the so-called “school police force” was created to give jobs to friends and relatives of school board members and was little more than a collection of glorified security guards with little or no actual law enforcement training.
All this time, I had been thinking it was the regular Uvalde Police. I have never heard of a K-12 school district with it's own police wannabe force. Now we see why it is not a good idea.

I had been thinking the same thing—I'd never heard of public school police forces either. In Maryland and PA they designate school resource officers or safety officers which are one or two cops stationed in each school or district but they aren't always present. Perhaps they are a more permanent fixture in high crime urban areas, I can't say.

Seeing as this is the first we've heard of this 'school police force' i don't its very existence. More bullshit from someone intent on covering their guilty ass.

Seeing as this is the first we've heard of this 'school police force' i don't its very existence. More bullshit from someone intent on covering their guilty ass.

We used to have hall monitors. You never want to get caught by a hall monitor, without a note from the teacher. They could make your life miserable.

Forum List

Back