The Sad Legacy of Ronald Reagan

How did releasing the hostage AFTER he was elected help him win the election, can you explain that to the rest of us?

They released them 20 minutes after he was sworn in..

But heck..how did it help?

It showed that Carter was ineffective.

Um, I'm sorry, you have to explain this to me again.

The hostages were released AFTER he was elected. What do you think the word "after" means in this context?

CF..he made a DEAL with them BEFORE he was ELECTED.

That's illegal. That's TREASON.

What part of that DON'T you GET???

ADDITIONALLY..if that weren't bad enough...he made an ILLEGAL deal with terrorists in CENTRAL AMERICA that CONGRESS had VOTED against.

How much do you have to fuck up when you are a REPUBLICAN president?

Apparently ALOT.

Because NO REPUBLICAN has ever been IMPEACHED.

From the crazy libertarian types over at right wing mises institute ...

Even Ford and Carter did a better job at cutting government. Their combined presidential terms account for an increase of 1.4%—compared with Reagan's 3%—in the government's take of "national income." And in nominal terms, there has been a 60% increase in government spending, thanks mainly to Reagan's requested budgets, which were only marginally smaller than the spending Congress voted. - The Free Market: The Sad Legacy of Ronald Reagan

The hell with Grover Norquist and his pathetic Reagan Legacy Project - How Republicans created the myth of Ronald Reagan - Bill Clinton - Salon.com

Monday, Feb 2, 2009 05:28 ET
How Republicans created the myth of Ronald Reagan
With the Gipper's reputation flagging after Clinton, neoconservatives launched a stealthy campaign to remake him as a "great" president.

natldebtchartb.jpg

Increases in the National Debt Chart

So some people have issues with this? :eusa_whistle:

Try refuting the substance. Ha! :cool:

Without puncturing the leftwing lies about Reagan yet again (eight times is enough) the fact that Reagan set off a great wave of prosperity with the huge 1981 tax cuts and deregulation is beyond question. Eg, as one metric, look at the DJ average for the 1980s:

Dow Jones Industrial Average (1980 - 2000 Daily) - Charting Tools - StockCharts.com

Yeah he set of a great wave of amnesty with an unfufilled promise of tougher enforcement. With all the new citizens it's no wonder tax revenues increased.

Even Ford and Carter did a better job at cutting government. Their combined presidential terms account for an increase of 1.4%—compared with Reagan's 3%—in the government's take of "national income." And in nominal terms, there has been a 60% increase in government spending, thanks mainly to Reagan's requested budgets, which were only marginally smaller than the spending Congress voted. - The Free Market: The Sad Legacy of Ronald Reagan

The hell with Grover Norquist and his pathetic Reagan Legacy Project - How Republicans created the myth of Ronald Reagan - Bill Clinton - Salon.com

Monday, Feb 2, 2009 05:28 ET
How Republicans created the myth of Ronald Reagan
With the Gipper's reputation flagging after Clinton, neoconservatives launched a stealthy campaign to remake him as a "great" president.

natldebtchartb.jpg

Increases in the National Debt Chart
Idiot, Reagan was 10 times better than that lying cheating clinton.

Wrong again, Bucko. "Conservatives hail Reagan as the man who decreased government, spending, and taxes." could have been written by TruthMatter or Rdean because it is the polar opposite of reality.

Do you want to take another whack at it?

Opposite of reality? Everything I hear from conservatives says otherwise. Hannity is one example of a conservative who points to reagan and his policies that never occured as the example we must follow.

Not all conservatives buy the reagan myth. But a substantial amount do. Claiming otherwise is a bit dishonest.

Who wrote this for you? "Conservatives hail Reagan as the man who decreased government, spending, and taxes."
I did. If you think conservatives never say Reagan reduced the size of government and decreased taxes, you are simply wrong.

Opposite of reality? Everything I hear from conservatives says otherwise. Hannity is one example of a conservative who points to reagan and his policies that never occured as the example we must follow.

Not all conservatives buy the reagan myth. But a substantial amount do. Claiming otherwise is a bit dishonest.

Who wrote this for you? "Conservatives hail Reagan as the man who decreased government, spending, and taxes."
I did. If you think conservatives never say Reagan reduced the size of government and decreased taxes, you are simply wrong.

He decreased taxes. Conservatives say he tried to reduce the size of government, but the liberal Congress stopped him.
And he won the Cold War.

He decreased taxes. Conservatives say he tried to reduce the size of government, but the liberal Congress stopped him.
And he won the Cold War.
He didn't even truly succeed in decreasing taxes by any meaningful amount. He decreased certain taxes and then rose others. It is a half truth to say he decreased taxes. Social security taxes increased drastically.

They released them 20 minutes after he was sworn in..

But heck..how did it help?

It showed that Carter was ineffective.

The hostages were released AFTER he was elected. What do you think the word "after" means in this context?

ADDITIONALLY..if that weren't bad enough...he made an ILLEGAL deal with terrorists in CENTRAL AMERICA that CONGRESS had VOTED against.

Apparently ALOT.

You said it "Got him elected" and I still don't understand how that's physically possible. They were released AFTER he was elected

Are you still claiming that GHBush had a SR-71 time machine that propelled him to negotiate the hostage release?

Reagan reduces taxes, I can't find any real Conservative that claimed Reagan reduced spending or government. Remember Tip O'Neill? He ran Congress

Are you friends with Jake Starkey?

Apparently ALOT.

You said it "Got him elected" and I still don't understand how that's physically possible. They were released AFTER he was elected

Are you still claiming that GHBush had a SR-71 time machine that propelled him to negotiate the hostage release?

You think it's legal to negotiate with a hostile nation when you aren't the President?

Reagan reduces taxes, I can't find any real Conservative that claimed Reagan reduced spending or government. Remember Tip O'Neill? He ran Congress

Reagan really did not reduce taxes. And there are very few real conservatives left. Mainstream conservatism seems to credit Reagan with reducing the size of government. I know because I was once a mainstream conservative who believed that same myth which was propagated to me by numerous other conservatives.

And he won the Cold War.
He didn't even truly succeed in decreasing taxes by any meaningful amount. He decreased certain taxes and then rose others. It is a half truth to say he decreased taxes. Social security taxes increased drastically.

:clap2:

just the facts ma'am

:lol:

And he won the Cold War.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, the liberal congress .. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, and Clinton had the conservative congress to contend with.

Why do the cons whine so much?

:eusa_shhh:

Without puncturing the leftwing lies about Reagan yet again (eight times is enough) the fact that Reagan set off a great wave of prosperity with the huge 1981 tax cuts and deregulation is beyond question. Eg, as one metric, look at the DJ average for the 1980s:

Dow Jones Industrial Average (1980 - 2000 Daily) - Charting Tools - StockCharts.com

Yeah he set of a great wave of amnesty with an unfufilled promise of tougher enforcement. With all the new citizens it's no wonder tax revenues increased.

"Ronald Reagan did amnesty."

Rudy Giuliani on Saturday, January 5th, 2008 in a debate in Manchester, N.H.

Many have called the program a success because it awarded green cards to 2.7-million migrants, giving them the hope of entry to the American middle class.

A Reagan Legacy: Amnesty For Illegal Immigrants
=============================

Idiot, Reagan was 10 times better than that lying cheating clinton.

Reagan lied about arms for hostages
vs
Clinton lied about an affair with a consenting adult.

Reagan and Clinton gave us the deregulation greed climate that almost destroyed America in 2007/2009 years.

================

Tip O'Neill, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, he kept Reagan form being Reagan... waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

And he won the Cold War.

He cut the top rate from 70% to 28%.
He indexed income taxes for inflation.
Yes, Social Security taxes had to rise to keep the Ponzi scheme going a bit longer.

And he won the Cold War.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, the liberal congress .. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, and Clinton had the conservative congress to contend with.

Why do the cons whine so much?

:eusa_shhh:
Did you notice what the conservative congress did to spending?
At least while Clinton was Prez. LOL!

And he won the Cold War.

He cut the top rate from 70% to 28%.
He indexed income taxes for inflation.
Yes, Social Security taxes had to rise to keep the Ponzi scheme going a bit longer.
Look at the bigger picture. TEFRA—the largest tax increase in American history—was designed to raise $214.1 billion over five years, and took back many of the business tax savings enacted the year before. It also imposed withholding on interest and dividends, a provision later repealed over the president's objection. In 1982 Reagan supported a five-cent-per-gallon gasoline tax and higher taxes on the trucking industry. Total increase: $5.5 billion a year. In 1983, on the recommendation of his Special Security Commission— chaired by the man he later made Fed chairman, Alan Green-span—Reagan called for, and received, Social Security tax increases of $165 billion over seven years. A year later came Reagan's Deficit Reduction Act to raise $50 billion. According to the Treasury Department, the 1981 tax cut reduced revenues by $1.48 trillion by the end of fiscal 1989. But tax increases since 1982 would equal $1.5 trillion by 1989.

Even most of the so called tax decreased were coupled with the elimination of deductions, so taxes were not in reality any lower than before. The percentage rate may have been lower, but without the deductions people were still paying the same amount as before. The purpose of lower taxes is to stimulate growth by allowing people to keep more of their hard earned money. But under Reagan people did not keep more of their own money at all. The lower tax rates were deceptive. In 1980, tax revenues were 25.1% of "national income." In the first quarter of 1988 they were 24.7%. If government is collecting the same amount of revenue from the people, the effects of lower taxation are nonexistent. But you can still say "look, I lowered taxes!"

Needless to say, no, Reagan did not decrease taxes overall by any significant amount whatsoever.

Its 2011 s0ns.........and the left owns the mess!!!:2up:

not winning..........

[IMG http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e305/baldaltima/kool_aid_man_glass-1.jpg[/IMG]

Nobody gives a rats ass about Ronald Reagan.

"not winning"????

Oh yeah, the tired old rant of a drug addled inebriate ... you must listen to Rushbo too, eh?

:lol::lol::lol:

Forum List

Back