The rise of pickleball

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
In the summer of 1965, seeking to keep their bored kids entertained, some dads on Bainbridge Island, Washington, invented a game using a plastic ball,

some wood, and a badminton court. "Pickleball" was born. It has since become the fastest-growing sport in America, with nearly five million people now playing the game.

Correspondent Luke Burbank looks at Pickleball lore, and takes a whack at playing against Pickleball Hall of Famer Jennifer Lucore

Looks like fun. :)

In the summer of 1965, seeking to keep their bored kids entertained, some dads on Bainbridge Island, Washington, invented a game using a plastic ball,

some wood, and a badminton court. "Pickleball" was born. It has since become the fastest-growing sport in America, with nearly five million people now playing the game.

Correspondent Luke Burbank looks at Pickleball lore, and takes a whack at playing against Pickleball Hall of Famer Jennifer Lucore

I misread the your headline.
I thought it said "pickled balls" & naturally assumed it was about Kamala

Cornhole is bigger

And you can drink beer while you play

Pickleball is gaining popularity because it's easy to play, low impact and appeals to a wide range of people, from kids to senior citizens. Most people who have played raquet sports, learn pickleball easily.

I've been watching for the last 2 months when telecast on TCC! Looks like fun! Might be nice to play! :p

Back in the 1970s and 1980s when we Boomers were young we played a lot of tennis.

Now that we are old gezzers we need something a little slower and no so much running around.

Back in the 1970s and 1980s when we Boomers were young we played a lot of tennis.

Now that we are old gezzers we need something a little slower and no so much running around.

Exactly! I started playing tennis in '71, just before the boom with wins of Evert & Connors! The courts were swamped after that! Lucky I was someone others liked to play against, so had plenty of opportunities to get on court! It was crazy back then! I still remember getting up at 5 AM to make "early-bird" special to play indoors at a club miles away! :stir: :itsok::p

Exactly! I started playing tennis in '71, just before the boom with wins of Evert & Connors! The courts were swamped after that! Lucky I was someone others liked to play against, so had plenty of opportunities to get on court! It was crazy back then! I still remember getting up at 5 AM to make "early-bird" special to play indoors at a club miles away! :stir: :itsok::p
I remember waiting for courts to open up since they were so busy.

Now most tennis courts are empty and deteriorating in parks around me.
Used to love playing at night. Just needed a handful of quarters for the lights.

I started playing pickleball 3 or 4 years ago. Great game that can be played socially by beginners and old-timers, but also competitively and professionally. My wife plays semi-competitively (she’s “ranked” at level 4) five times a week. It’s big here in Florida. The court is about a fourth the size of a tennis court, and today they are converting tennis courts into pickleball courts all over, and building new special pickleball courts too. In summer now at community centers energetic white seniors often alternate play times with young black kids playing on indoor air conditioned basketball courts. I expect it will become an Olympic Sport one day.

P.S. I had to give it up recently, but highly recommend it to others who want to stay in shape.

Last edited:
71 was the year I started playing also.

Living in Florida we could play outdoors on most days.

I played for about 25 years. From the early 70s into the mid 1990s. Usually two or three times a week.

My friend wants me to get into Pickleball.

At 73, I am trying to get back into tennis after a two-year forced hiatus (hamstrings, etc.). I think I'm just about as good now as I was at a spry 71.

Pickleball looks like a fag sport, but may be worth a try. I know a few tennis players who have made the switch and love it. I socially met a guy last week who is a pickleball instructor - beginner and advanced - and I'm thinking about setting something up with him for my wife and me.

Based on personal observation, pickleball is getting more geezers out and exercising than any other sport I've seen.

Forum List

Back