The Right Not To Be Offended

Apparently you've never stayed in a Marriott, which puts Books of Mormon in the bedside table drawer. Nor in any of the hotels I've worked in which put no religious books at all in the rooms.
I'm sure that in most hotels, any guest that specifically requested no bible would be accommodated.

It's one thing to have a class disrupted because people have to remove flyers from the seats before they can sit down. Quite another to have an unwanted book tucked away in a drawer many people never use anyway.
Yep this entire bible in the drawer is a big non sequitor.

Personally I like to use them to build little fires because they make very good kindling.

:)

Gee, you didn't say that about the Pastor who burned the Koran....

but then, as Emerson said, A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
Just trying to offend you PC, looks like it worked.

:thup:

Yep this entire bible in the drawer is a big non sequitor.

Personally I like to use them to build little fires because they make very good kindling.

:)

Gee, you didn't say that about the Pastor who burned the Koran....

but then, as Emerson said, A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
Just trying to offend you PC, looks like it worked.

:thup:

I don't think so......I think you slipped up.

Bible, book of morman, koran....all the same as far as i am concerned. I dont look to see what religion is being hawked i just know that it is there. I don't see the flyers as being any less disruptive as the books in draws.

If you don't like them move them or toss them in the trash. There is nothing disruptive or offensive about that.

Having been a teacher, I would find it disruptive if my students had to clean off their seats before they could sit down.

Right. YOU would find it disruptive..would they? Usually you are in your seat before class starts. So all of the clearing off of the seats would have occurred before your began class. No disruption of class involved.
So do we pay someone to clear the seats or make the teacher do it? :eusa_eh:

Bible, book of morman, koran....all the same as far as i am concerned. I dont look to see what religion is being hawked i just know that it is there. I don't see the flyers as being any less disruptive as the books in draws.

If you don't like them move them or toss them in the trash. There is nothing disruptive or offensive about that.

Having been a teacher, I would find it disruptive if my students had to clean off their seats before they could sit down.

Right. YOU would find it disruptive..would they? Usually you are in your seat before class starts. So all of the clearing off of the seats would have occurred before your began class. No disruption of class involved.
I've also been a student and when you have to clear some previous student's trash off a desk it hold you up. Also, I don't know where you've been to school or taught but it's been my experience that not every student is on time.

The issue was about what material was considered offensive. Not about what could be considered disruptive or littering.

I dont know about you, but i have no issues with clearing off a seat to sit in it. Its just lame as hell to say otherwise.

After reading much of this debate.

It seems much ado about nothing.

Schools have rules. As long as they are equally applied, the students must abide.

Pro-abortion letters must be treated the same as the pro-life letters.

If one is cut any slack over the other? The wrath of the American Justice system should desend upon them with rectal thermometors.

The idea of clearing your seat before class is a disruption?

That's just nuts, and a childish counter point.

boohoo I have to throw something away or read it later! :(

the horror of it all

Last edited:

I've also been a student and when you have to clear some previous student's trash off a desk it hold you up. Also, I don't know where you've been to school or taught but it's been my experience that not every student is on time.

In my experience if you are not in your seat by the time class starts...the door is shut and you were dinged for missing the class. Late comers were considered disruptive.....and offensive.

The issue was about what material was considered offensive. Not about what could be considered disruptive or littering.

I dont know about you, but i have no issues with clearing off a seat to sit in it. Its just lame as hell to say otherwise.
I don't think the issue is offense. The issue is that the school has rules as to where literature can be handed out. The classroom is not one of those places.

Mind if I cut in?

Thanks.

PoliticalChic.

Hello, we meet at last. Although I agree with you, in the sense that in their very nature colleges, universities and similar places of higher learning that encourage outside thinking to stimulate and inject criticism should welcome debate in all forms, no matter how controversial, the legal fact remains that the building belongs to the governing board and they have the final say on what's classed acceptable behaviour within the property they own or are charged with overseeing/administering. I mean, even though it's classed as free speech, I can't see campus's in this age of kneejerk litigation allowing Neo Nazi properganda to be distributed on campus.

Ravi, hello, again.

This isn't a pre-school or infant environment where children that are of an age where politics has no business are being subjected to political propaganda. In short, they aren't children who need to be protected from political propaganda. Anyone knows that when you put yourself in an institute of higher learning, you're, at some point, going to rub sholders with political activists who will thrust political pamphlets/material under your nose. To think otherwise would be dangerously naive.

WTF IS GOING ON!!!

CG is a liberal.
And Swagger, fukkin SWAGGER is the voice of reason.

I need to cut back on the antihistamines, they are screwing with my reality.

You should stop using NyQuil, the stuffy, sneezy, why-the-heck-is-the-room-spinning medicine!

I don't think the issue is offense. The issue is that the school has rules as to where literature can be handed out. The classroom is not one of those places.

I think its a bit of both. My guess is it was for some sports thing the school was promoting they would have no issues with it at all.

Again, inside the classroom should be off limits if the school deems it off limits. Walking through campus, at the student activities building, etc...all fine, imo. It has nothing to do with "protecting" students from differing views and has everything to do with actually learning the subject you've paid to be taught.

Blimey, Ravi, that's an uncharacteristically, yet refreshingly conservative observation you've made there. Bravo.

I jest, of course. Well, sort of.

Anyway.

These leaflets were left on chairs in a classroom that was unoccupied at the time of the 'drop'. The lecture/lesson wasn't noisily disrupted by a band of badge-festooned political subversives with a loudhailer. Surely you aren't telling us that the lesson's monetary value was inpinged upon by some pieces of paper left on empty chairs?
Absolutely it was...in this case and in the case of any literature being placed in a classroom in this manner.

I see. So if we're to use your logic, a teaching assistant leaving a copied pile of lesson-relevant texts on teacher/lecturer's desk is as disruptive and monetarily impinging as a group of politically opposing students leaving a pile of copied text on unoccupied chairs in an unoccupied classroom.

Tell me/us, what kind of school did you go to?

I think its a bit of both. My guess is it was for some sports thing the school was promoting they would have no issues with it at all.
The person that labeled this "offense" is PC with absolutely nothing to back herself up but her own rabid paranoia.

A school function would probably fall under their category of allowed if permission is granted.

Blimey, Ravi, that's an uncharacteristically, yet refreshingly conservative observation you've made there. Bravo.

I jest, of course. Well, sort of.

Anyway.

These leaflets were left on chairs in a classroom that was unoccupied at the time of the 'drop'. The lecture/lesson wasn't noisily disrupted by a band of badge-festooned political subversives with a loudhailer. Surely you aren't telling us that the lesson's monetary value was inpinged upon by some pieces of paper left on empty chairs?
Absolutely it was...in this case and in the case of any literature being placed in a classroom in this manner.

I see. So if we're to use your logic, a teaching assistant leaving a copied pile of lesson-relevant texts on teacher/lecturer's desk is as disruptive and monetarily impinging as a group of politically opposing students leaving a pile of copied text on unoccupied chairs in an unoccupied classroom.

My bad. I hadn't realized before that you were actually pretty darn stupid. What a ridiculous comparison.

Ravi clearly does not let the truth get in the way of a good insult. It one of the things that bother me about USMB. Why do so many use this medium to use bad language and insults where they are safe.. I am betting that out on the street where someone might be offended the keep their ample mount shut.

My bad. I hadn't realized before that you were actually pretty darn stupid. What a ridiculous comparison.

Not "pretty darn stupid", just didn't make my point clearly, I concede.

The comparison I failed to make clearer does actually hold water, if you'll allow me to explain, properly. What's the difference between a teaching assistant leaving some printed material in an unoccupied room without notifying those directly responsible for the room and what is allowed in and out, to a group of students, who, through their financial comittment to their educational course, are allowed to enter an unoccupied room and leave some printed material in an unoccupied room. Yes, I concede that the employment relationship between a teaching assistant and the governors is hierachically superiour to that of a group of students and the governors. But they're both still allowed, within teaching hours, to enter an unlocked classroom (not lab), as long as what they do in that room doesn't breach campus policy - note: the ban on the distribution of 'literature' didn't outline what the literature had to contain in order for it to be defined as unwelcome/banned. So, seeing as clear definition has yet to be presented, the distribution of all literature (educationally relevant or not), should, according to hazy campus policy, be banned.

Instead of dismissing what I've written in one, sweeping sentence, could you prove to us all that you aren't "pretty darn" ignorant by replying in detail. If that's not too much to ask, that is.

Last edited:
"It's one thing to have a class disrupted because people have to remove flyers from the seats before they can sit down."

Disrupt:

1. To throw into confusion or disorder: Protesters disrupted the candidate's speech.
2. To interrupt or impede the progress, movement, or procedure of: Our efforts in the garden were disrupted by an early frost.
3. To break or burst; rupture.
disruption - definition of disruption by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

No, really....do you write for Seinfeld??

He asked if doormen should really go on strike, as it would point out how folks really don't need them....
"How do we get out of here? What is that brass round thing? What do we do with it??"

I see your fingerprints all over that bit!

OMG- a flyer on the seat?? How should we handle this disruption????

Oh, that's good.

Can you get me tickets?

Having to trash the flier or even going through the time consuming and energy draining effort of tossing it is a red herring.

It was the supposed inability for one student to bitch face to face with her for leaving the flier on a desk since she found it to be offensive that was the complaint. Thats the ruse of the free speech here. Some pro lifer was angry they felt they were denied the chance to tell her off right there and then.

It's time to restart the recruitment drive for P.O.O.P.

People Offended by Offended People.

The fact that idiots take offense to everything offends me so it is my right to have government force them to stop being offended.

Wrong again according the the FIRE letter I linked earlier:

You said that a student (whose name you kept anonymous) had come to you to complain that I had given the brochures to her and that she told you she had had an abortion and was offended by the material in the brochures. [...] You told me that the student had told you that I had left the brochure on her desk and so she was not able to tell me in person that she did not want the brochure

Not "pretty darn stupid", just didn't make my point clearly, I concede.

The comparison I failed to make clearer does actually hold water, if you'll allow me to explain, properly. What's the difference between a teaching assistant leaving some printed material in an unoccupied room without notifying those directly responsible for the room and what is allowed in and out, to a group of students, who, through their financial comittment to their educational course, are allowed to enter an unoccupied room and leave some printed material in an unoccupied room. Yes, I concede that the employment relationship between a teaching assistant and the governors is hierachically superiour to that of a group of students and the governors. But they're both still allowed, within teaching hours, to enter an unlocked classroom (not lab), as long as what they do in that room doesn't breach campus policy - note: the ban on the distribution of 'literature' didn't outline what the literature had to contain in order for it to be defined as unwelcome/banned. So, seeing as clear definition has yet to be presented, the distribution of all literature (educationally relevant or not), should, according to hazy campus policy, be banned.

Instead of dismissing what I've written in one, sweeping sentence, could you prove to us all that you aren't "pretty darn" ignorant by replying in detail. If that's not too much to ask, that is.
:confused: A teaching assistant will be putting out literature that pertains to the lesson at hand. If he or she is putting out literature that doesn't pertain to the class I imagine he or she will soon be looking for another job.

Your comparison is still ridiculous.

Forum List

Back