The Republicans Continue to Wage War Against Government Workers

That tired old saying? I've driven past thousands of road work sites over the past 35 years and have yet to witness the situation you described.

Are you blind? I have been in the trade almost thirty years. I see it all the time.

The funniest thing I ever witnessed were two girls trying to set a stop sign. A one man job, yet these two could barley lift the post to set it.

I really doubt that but even if I give you the benefit of the doubt just remember that nearly all major road repairs are carried out by contractors.

I really dont care if you are a believer or not. I have experience in the field and so does my wife who is 13 years vested with the laborers local. Those contractors you speak of are union. Prevailing wage and all of that.

I laugh at you because just last week I once again witnessed what was just described.

So you've been in the trade 30 years and your wife for 13. So I'm guessing that you do the same thing or you're a notable exception to the rule?

I'll never blame a government employee for taking a job, a job is a job and everyone has bills to pay. But what they need to understand is that as taxpayers paying their salaries, US taxpayers are essentially the employers of government employees and so therefore should have the final say in who they hire and what for as well as how much payroll expense they can subsidize. The left would like to have those decisions made by government while ignoring the glaring conflict of interest there.

Wow.

1) What makes you think that the average government worker doesn't understand that? And exactly how would YOU set up the hiring process? How would YOU determine what their pay should be? And would you think it fair to tell them, "Well, our tax base has shrunk and the cost of gasoline has gone up so you have to take a pay cut"?

2) You're not subsidizing them, pal. You're paying them to perform a service. Stop mmaking it sound like they're getting a handout.

3) The hiring process is already set up with Merit Commisions to help take the politics out of it. Are you against that? It is also set up to give preferential treatment to military veterans. Are you against that?

The right would like to make everyone believe that all government workers are lazy morons who do nothing but suck the public tit. They think that roads fix themselves, police and firefighters should work for free, that public water supplies treat themselves and garbage will just magically disappear if we get rid of sanitation workers.

Bullshit. WE hire them to perform a service and WE should pay them a fair wage to do it and stop demonizing them.

Touchy touchy. You answered your 1st question for me with the rest of your post. I don't know how my post translated into a personal attack on government employees for you but then again, you and I seem to be speaking two different languages. If you're deliberatly trying to strawman that's fine, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume I didn't make my point clearly enough. So I'll try again.

My problem is not with the individual gov worker but rather the general concept that they work for government. If you reread my post you'll see that I said taxpayers pay workers' salaries and subsidize payroll, which is true. How is taxpayers giving money to the federal government so that the federal government can employ a workforce not the very definition of a labor subsidy to government? And why is it wrong to identify that?

I want to make clear that I'm not attacking the individual worker who performs a public service. I'm questioning the inefficient bureaucracy taxpayers subsidize to mismanage them and asserting that taxpayers should have a discretionary voice in what and how many services they can afford to pay for.

Republicans that are in the middle class are the most sheep like among us. They are too lazy to think for themselves and whats best for their own class, that they allow Fox News and Day time Talk Radio think for them. We have seen the enemy and it is ourselves. WAKE UP AMERICA!

See what I eamn? I won, get over it. Moving on, why do you support Republicans who want to fire government workers?

How did you win.?
Government workers are the spending problem. You confuse real service to hand holding

How are government workers the spending problem? Link and proof? If the Repugs had their way every job would be privatized with the rich companies owners getting richer and the workers less well paid with less generous benefits, almost like slavery.

Can someone from the left show me a government program or business that is run more efficiently than in the private sector? Anyone? Last I checked, the United States Post Office is about to surpass $15 Billion in years of accumulated debt, Social Security is is always receiving simply a "BAND-AID" fix to keep it just above water for a few more years, and Obamacare's cost savings projections by the CBO are not found to be true and accurate. Yet the left would like to create the "illusion" that Government Jobs are cost effective, and can run better than in the private sector, and they are saying this with a straight face. Anyone who has only served a few years in the military knows the government LOVES to waste money. So how about it? Can the left provide "proof" that the Federal Government can run things more efficiently than corporations found in the private sector?

Congress gives Postal Service reprieve on debt
Carolyn Lochhead, Chronicle Washington Bureau
October 1, 2011 04:00 AM San Francisco Chronicle

Washington -- On Friday, the U.S. Postal Service faced default on its debt obligations and breach of its $15 billion debt limit. Congress granted a reprieve until Nov. 18.

Read more: Congress gives Postal Service reprieve on debt

CBO ups health care cost projections
By JENNIFER HABERKORN | 5/11/10 3:34 PM EST

Congressional Budget Office estimates released Tuesday predict the health care overhaul will likely cost about $115 billion more in discretionary spending over ten years than the original cost projections.

The additional spending — if approved over the years by Congress — would bring the total estimated cost of the overhaul to over $1 trillion.

CBO: Obamacare Would Increase National Debt, Spend Medicare ‘Savings’
7:00 AM, Jan 19, 2011 • By JEFFREY H. ANDERSON

The CBO writes that, by the end of 2019 alone, Obamacare "would amount to a net increase in federal deficits of $226 billion. "Elsewhere, in a conclusion that only the truly credulous could accept, the CBO says that Obamacare would decrease deficits. But, as the CBO notes, that's before "factoring in that the [Medicare Hospital Insurance] trust fund would hold more than $358 billion of additional government debt by the end of 2019 compared with its holdings under current law."

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/cbo-obamacare-would-increase-national-debt-spend-medicare-savings_536716.html

Last edited:
I'll never blame a government employee for taking a job, a job is a job and everyone has bills to pay. But what they need to understand is that as taxpayers paying their salaries, US taxpayers are essentially the employers of government employees and so therefore should have the final say in who they hire and what for as well as how much payroll expense they can subsidize. The left would like to have those decisions made by government while ignoring the glaring conflict of interest there.

who are you going to appoint to determine this?....and will you abide by what that person agrees too?......

Republicans that are in the middle class are the most sheep like among us. They are too lazy to think for themselves and whats best for their own class, that they allow Fox News and Day time Talk Radio think for them. We have seen the enemy and it is ourselves. WAKE UP AMERICA!
are you serious?......talk about sheep.....:lol:......i think you better wake with those sheep.....i bet you hear Baaaaa all day long.....

Forum List

Back