The Republican Party is Now the Party of Working Class Americans

Why should I get any benefit from that beyond my original pay at the time[?]

I really don't understand your argument here. Were veterans' benefits part of your employment contract? If so, these are just part of your remuneration, and thus "earned".

Your own chart shows that Red Districts tend to be poorer and less affluent.

The idea of being for the working class is to make working people MORE affluent, not less.
Do you realize how stupid your comment is?

Do you realize how bigoted and ignorant your comment is?

You attack the poster and don't have the balls to provide a reasoned response.

Typical Libturd.

I really don't understand your argument here. Were veterans' benefits part of your employment contract? If so, these are just part of your remuneration, and thus "earned".

Um, when I signed up, it was to shoot guns and kill commies... going to a VA Hospital in my 60's was the last thing on my mind.

But you have a point, you really don't understand the argument.

How do you reason with dumb-ass white trash who let the rich take everything they have, and then hate on the Darkies who have less than them?

Um, when I signed up, it was to shoot guns and kill commies... going to a VA Hospital in my 60's was the last thing on my mind.

But you have a point, you really don't understand the argument.

What you had in mind when signing up isn't relevant - the provisions of your employment contract are.

But hey, since you can't really explain your argument, maybe you don't understand it either.

What you had in mind when signing up isn't relevant - the provisions of your employment contract are.

But hey, since you can't really explain your argument, maybe you don't understand it either.

I understand it perfectly well.

The government is under no obligation to provide me with benefits because I wore the Tree Suit back in the 1980's.

That they choose to do so is a kindness, and I'm glad i have that to fall back on in a worst case scenario... but frankly, they could abolish the VA tomorrow, and don't think there aren't Republicans who would do exactly that.

Point is, you shouldn't get a benefit on the basis of what MIGHT happen. Most veterans never see a shot fired in anger. I was in for 11 years, never got anywhere near a testy foreigner trying to kill me because I was invading his country.

Why should I get any benefit from that beyond my original pay at the time. The guys who were in the line of fire got combat pay.

Now, I'm all for veterans benefits, don't get me wrong. But I don't pretend that they are "earned".
You're not thinking, you're emoting.

Military servicemen spend every second of every day knowing they can be ordered into harm's way. And their base pay is pitifully small.

Veterans earned their benefits. I get that as a Leftist you're not allowed to give full respect to military service.

I guess it's difficult for you, in that awkward position, to know how much to disparage them, so calling veterans welfare moochers must be your personal compromise.

The VA has changing priority groups for treatment, headed by those with service-connected disabilities, followed by more-recent campaigns and those who have served in combat zones. VA Healthcare is means-tested, with the majority of patients being older persons who have signed over their Medicare and other insurance benefits, if any, to the VA. Patients are responsible for any costs exceeding insurance if they have the means to pay. That's not to argue there isn't a huge number of veterans lacking the means to pay.

There's no specific employment contract that says the government is going to take care of every veteran for life.

Point is, you shouldn't get a benefit on the basis of what MIGHT happen. Most veterans never see a shot fired in anger. I was in for 11 years, never got anywhere near a testy foreigner trying to kill me because I was invading his country.

Why should I get any benefit from that beyond my original pay at the time. The guys who were in the line of fire got combat pay.

Now, I'm all for veterans benefits, don't get me wrong. But I don't pretend that they are "earned".

Military servicemen spend every second of every day knowing they can be ordered into harm's way. And their base pay is pitifully small.

Veterans earned their benefits. I get that as a Leftist you're not allowed to give full respect to military service.

I guess it's difficult for you, in that awkward position, to know how much to disparage them, so calling veterans welfare moochers must be your personal compromise.
I never was since we never went to war while I was a soldier...

The VA has changing priority groups for treatment, headed by those with service-connected disabilities, followed by more-recent campaigns and those who have served in combat zones. VA Healthcare is means-tested, with the majority of patients being older persons who have signed over their Medicare and other insurance benefits, if any, to the VA. Patients are responsible for any costs exceeding insurance if they have the means to pay. That's not to argue there isn't a huge number of veterans lacking the means to pay.

There's no specific employment contract that says the government is going to take care of every veteran for life.
I never pay because I don't have to..Yet I have had at least three operation over 40k, one was 180k. Yet when I left the service we were not allowed to visit a VA until Bush jr was president. I was discharged in 1988.

If benefits were "earned", then I would get far more benefit for my 11 years than the kid who was out in a 2 year enlistment...

The fact is, they aren't. They're an entitlement, and a lot of them were voted in after my ETS in 1992.

I'm not calling them welfare moochers. I am pointing out that a guy getting free medical treatment from the VA is just as much getting government largess as a poor woman getting food stamps. The government doesn't have to do these things. The difference is that you guys think a veteran is more worthy of largess than a woman who had sex with the wrong guy.

Me. Only benefit I've collected was I got a VA loan to pay for my current house. And that's even a bit of a stretch, since that really didn't cost the government anything. It just means I got the loan with no money down.

Which is kind of my point. It's a government welfare program to help a certain constituency.

The thing is, everyone is good with "Entitlements", but no one likes "Welfare".

I have long been thinking this is the case. The unions have abandoned most working class Americans interests and are just another special interest group now. I guess it started when they began hiring college management majors instead of solely promoting from within in the AFL-CIO.

Quotes Breitbart - still thinks he ought to be taken seriously. Hilarity.

Let's look at that one, again:

Screen-Shot-2019-10-16-at-5.57.29-PM.png

Let's realize, it doesn't tell us anything about the inhabitants, their income, wealth or poverty. For that, we'd need GDP per capita. It may well be that (mostly urban) blue Congressional districts are bigger, and have grown since 2008, while (mostly rural) red districts are smaller by population size, have lost population, and thus economic activity (GDP).

To build on that a ... "theory" that the GOP - the most devoted servant of the plutocracy - is the party of the working class is ludicrous. Breitbart, of course, knows better. But they also know that their audience isn't just too dumb to detect the lies, they are also most eager to hear them. And so the clickbait is being brought into circulation, and the Trumpletons diligently spread it. Good doggies...

As if 2018 never happened.

If benefits were "earned", then I would get far more benefit for my 11 years than the kid who was out in a 2 year enlistment...

The fact is, they aren't. They're an entitlement, and a lot of them were voted in after my ETS in 1992.

I'm not calling them welfare moochers. I am pointing out that a guy getting free medical treatment from the VA is just as much getting government largess as a poor woman getting food stamps. The government doesn't have to do these things. The difference is that you guys think a veteran is more worthy of largess than a woman who had sex with the wrong guy.

Me. Only benefit I've collected was I got a VA loan to pay for my current house. And that's even a bit of a stretch, since that really didn't cost the government anything. It just means I got the loan with no money down.

Which is kind of my point. It's a government welfare program to help a certain constituency.

Your last line explains Leftist salesmanship. Call welfare 'entitlements' and keep the sheep happy about being on welfare.

As for VA benefits it's not manageable for every single veterans benefits be calculated to the number of days served, the exact location each day was served, and the relative risk taken on each of those days.

The Lefts hatred of the military has been seen many times.

You did suggest veterans are welfare moochers, and you're not the first.

I have long been thinking this is the case. The unions have abandoned most working class Americans interests and are just another special interest group now. I guess it started when they began hiring college management majors instead of solely promoting from within in the AFL-CIO.

But the Democrats represent the wealthiest congressional districts and the GOP represents the working class districts today, a complete switch from the 1950s.

Analysis: Democrats Represent the Rich, Working Class Flocks to GOP

Meanwhile, Republican voters — the majority of whose jobs are threatened by free trade, as the research notes — have become the most supportive demographic group of tariffs on foreign imports and an economic nationalist agenda that reduces foreign competition in the labor market and American economy.

Of course, regionally, the Democrat base consists nearly exclusively on top income earners and rich executives who live in metropolitan areas and major cities along the coasts.

In the 2016 election, failed Democrat presidential candidate Hillary Clinton won the vast majority of high-income coastal congressional districts in the West Coast and the Northeast.

Trump, who decisively won the election, took home electoral college votes from the heartland of the U.S., winning states like Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Ohio, and West Virginia, the very communities that had been devastated by the Washington, DC, free trade apparatus of the last three decades.​

Screen-Shot-2019-10-16-at-6.06.46-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-10-16-at-5.57.29-PM.png

"Of course, regionally, the Democrat base consists nearly exclusively on top income earners and rich executives who live in metropolitan areas and major cities along the coasts."

That's a quote from your link. It ought to indicate enough slant to make clear it's a piece of propaganda.

Your last line explains Leftist salesmanship. Call welfare 'entitlements' and keep the sheep happy about being on welfare.

As for VA benefits it's not manageable for every single veterans benefits be calculated to the number of days served, the exact location each day was served, and the relative risk taken on each of those days.

The Lefts hatred of the military has been seen many times.

You did suggest veterans are welfare moochers, and you're not the first.

Even allowing for hyperbole, "the Lefts hatred" is bullshit. Given the fact 91% of veterans are male, it wouldn't be surprising to see a higher number identifying as Republicans, but they don't. Claiming the left hates the military is a way righties try to wrap themselves in the flag. If we stipulate your claim about the left is true, what's the corollary for the Right?

e4cizu5dik2f7tehmug5gw.gif

Even allowing for hyperbole, "the Lefts hatred" is bullshit. Given the fact 91% of veterans are male, it wouldn't be surprising to see a higher number identifying as Republicans, but they don't. Claiming the left hates the military is a way righties try to wrap themselves in the flag. If we stipulate your claim about the left is true, what's the corollary for the Right?
I see you're still butthurt over Trump's overwhelming support by Veterans.
Stipulate or ignore anything you want.

Trump isn't giving out free birth control and tampons, but that's not the reason Veterans support Trump. Veterans support Trump because they know better than most what it takes to keep a nation free.

It's true some Righties wrap themselves in the flag for posturing effect, but 20 times as many Leftists burn and spit on the flag for the same effect.

I see you're still butthurt over Trump's overwhelming support by Veterans.
Stipulate or ignore anything you want.

Trump isn't giving out free birth control and tampons, but that's not the reason Veterans support Trump. Veterans support Trump because they know better than most what it takes to keep a nation free.

It's true some Righties wrap themselves in the flag for posturing effect, but 20 times as many Leftists burn and spit on the flag for the same effect.

I'm a veteran. I've never been butthurt about politics. Calling people 'butthurt' is how a Trumpkin engages in chest-thumping. What reason do you have for chest-thumping?

I'm a veteran. I've never been butthurt about politics. Calling people 'butthurt' is how a Trumpkin engages in chest-thumping. What reason do you have for chest-thumping?
Your logic is flawed, because it's based on being butthurt by TDS. I wasn't chest-thumping.

You mean I have to be butthurt because you say I'm butthurt. That's some flawed logic, right there.

TDS? Is to laugh, comrade.

The idea of being for the working class is to make working people MORE affluent, not less.

Do you realize how stupid your comment is?

Typical Libturd.

Lol, JoeBitch claims that working class Congressional districts can only be represented effectively by wealthy Democrats, and you accuse me of bigotry.

You Democrats have lost your fucking minds.

As if 2018 never happened.
And what do you think happened in 2018 that is relevant here?

I think Ryan did nothing to hold his Republican majority in the House while Pelosi targeted Republicans in purple districts that were marginally won by GOP, and she took whole slew of them. They sold their campaigns as the reasonable alternative to Trumpster madness.

But after two years of Russia! Russia! Russia! and Impeach! Impeach! Impeach! I think the Dems are going to become the minority Party in the House again. The Louisiana results seem to support that impression.

Forum List

Back