The Real Story of Thanksgiving

Given under my hand at the City of New York the third day of October in the year of our Lord 1789.

Go: Washington
Almost a century later, Abraham Lincoln offered his Thanksgiving proclamations:

November 24, 2021

"President Lincoln set Thursday, August 6, 1863, for the national day of Thanksgiving.

"On that day, ministers across the country listed the signal victories of the U.S. Army and Navy in the past year and reassured their congregations that it was only a matter of time until the United States government put down the southern rebellion.

"Their predictions acknowledged the dead and reinforced the idea that their sacrifice had not been in vain.

"In October 1863, President Lincoln declared a second national day of Thanksgiving.

"In the past year, he declared, the nation had been blessed.

"In the midst of a civil war of unequaled magnitude and severity, he wrote, Americans had maintained their laws and their institutions and had kept foreign countries from meddling with their nation.

"They had paid for the war as they went, refusing to permit the destruction to cripple the economy.

"Instead, as they funded the war, they had also advanced farming, industry, mining, and shipping. Immigrants had poured into the country to replace men lost on the battlefield, and the economy was booming.

"And Lincoln had recently promised that the government would end slavery once and for all."

The settlers who established themselves on the shores of New England all belonged to the more independent classes of their native country. Their union on the soil of America at once presented the singular phenomenon of a society containing neither lords nor common people, and we may almost say neither rich nor poor. These men possessed, in proportion to their number, a greater mass of intelligence than is to be found in any European nation of our own time All, perhaps without a single exception, had received a good education, and many of them were known in Europe for their talents and their acquirements. The other colonies had been founded by adventurers without families; the immigrants of New England brought with them the best elements of order and morality; they landed on the desert coast accompanied by their wives and children. But what especially distinguished them from all others was the aim of their undertaking. They had not been obliged by necessity to leave their country; the social position they abandoned was one to be regretted, and their means of subsistence were certain. Nor did they cross the Atlantic to improve their situation or to increase their wealth; it was a purely intellectual craving that called them from the comforts of their former homes; and in facing the inevitable . sufferings of exile their object was the triumph of an idea.

The immigrants, or, as they deservedly styled themselves, the Pilgrims, belonged to that English sect the austerity of whose principles had acquired for them the name of Puritans. Puritanism was not merely a religious doctrine, but corresponded in many points with the most absolute democratic and republican theories. It was this tendency that had aroused its most dangerous adversaries. Persecuted by the government of the mother country, and disgusted by the habits of a society which the rigor of their own principles condemned, the Puritans went forth to seek some rude and unfrequented part of the world where they could live according to their own opinions and worship God in freedom.

Tocqueville: Book I Chapter 2

The people who settled in the South, however, were of a different and much uglier breed...

"Rush was the greatest"
Well, RedRising can lead the Rush parade if he so wishes.

Me?
I'll sit it out.

Why.....you ask?
Glad you asked.

Because.....because Rush Limbaugh was dick and a bully.

I would occasionally listen to the moke. He was an entertainer.
One afternoon I was driving back to Chicago from St.Louis. That's a long trip by car. So I had Limbaugh on the radio.

And I listened to him do a rant on how homely 8yr old Chelsea Clinton was.

!!!!!

So......here I am, listening to this fat faced loudmouth with an audience of millions bullying a little girl whose parents he did not like.
On a friggin' national radio program listened to by millions.
!!!!!!!

I never listened to that dick again.

Accordingly, I wasn't part of the audience when he described....to his millions ..... that Sandra Fluke, a Georgetown student, was a "slut" and a "prostitute" because she spoke before Congress in support of a measure under consideration for government support of contraception. In addition to the "slut" epithet on the public airwaves, he went on:
"Limbaugh said of Fluke that in her news media appearances she's signaled that "she's having so much sex she can't pay for it, and we should."

To Georgetown's good credit, they responded:

"In recent days, a law student of Georgetown, Sandra Fluke, offered her testimony regarding the proposed regulations by the Department of Health and Human Services before a group of members of Congress. She was respectful, sincere, and spoke with conviction. She provided a model of civil discourse. This expression of conscience was in the tradition of the deepest values we share as a people. One need not agree with her substantive position to support her right to respectful free expression. And yet, some of those who disagreed with her position — including Rush Limbaugh — responded with behavior that can only be described as misogynistic, vitriolic, and a misrepresentation of the position of our student."

Rush Limbaugh, the greatest? He catered to and accelerated the worst instincts in people. And marketed his wares to that demographic.

He was a dick.
May he rest in peace.

ps....Was I being too subtle in that commentary?

In true Marxist hate fashion, the message of this thread was drown out by the Lefts character assassination of the messenger. Your hate and evil is why you will lose in the end.

Topic:

Rush Limbaugh delivers one of the most accurate and compelling accounts of the true Thanksgiving story that you've ever heard:

The Real Story of Thanksgiving

Accurate in that he's making sure his listeners like it. But ignoring lots of reality in there.

Saying it's a just a religious thing, these people thanking God. Well, they thanked God and then set about MURDERING people.

Let's all pause and remember what Geaorge Washington stead instead of reading your snotty crappy post:

Thanksgiving Proclamation of 1789

By the President of the United States of America, a Proclamation.

Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor-- and whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee requested me to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness.

Now therefore I do recommend and assign Thursday the 26th day of November next to be devoted by the People of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be-- That we may then all unite in rendering unto him our sincere and humble thanks--for his kind care and protection of the People of this Country previous to their becoming a Nation--for the signal and manifold mercies, and the favorable interpositions of his Providence which we experienced in the course and conclusion of the late war--for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty, which we have since enjoyed--for the peaceable and rational manner, in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national One now lately instituted--for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed; and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and in general for all the great and various favors which he hath been pleased to confer upon us.

and also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech him to pardon our national and other transgressions-- to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually--to render our national government a blessing to all the people, by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed--to protect and guide all Sovereigns and Nations (especially such as have shewn kindness unto us) and to bless them with good government, peace, and concord--To promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the encrease of science among them and us--and generally to grant unto all Mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as he alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand at the City of New York the third day of October in the year of our Lord 1789.

Go: Washington
Wait, um, you're not claiming to be a Christian, are you?

Last edited:
The settlers who established themselves on the shores of New England all belonged to the more independent classes of their native country. Their union on the soil of America at once presented the singular phenomenon of a society containing neither lords nor common people, and we may almost say neither rich nor poor.

These men possessed, in proportion to their number, a greater mass of intelligence than is to be found in any European nation of our own time All, perhaps without a single exception, had received a good education, and many of them were known in Europe for their talents and their acquirements.

The other colonies had been founded by adventurers without families; the immigrants of New England brought with them the best elements of order and morality; they landed on the desert coast accompanied by their wives and children. But what especially distinguished them from all others was the aim of their undertaking. They had not been obliged by necessity to leave their country; the social position they abandoned was one to be regretted, and their means of subsistence were certain. Nor did they cross the Atlantic to improve their situation or to increase their wealth; it was a purely intellectual craving that called them from the comforts of their former homes; and in facing the inevitable . sufferings of exile their object was the triumph of an idea.

The immigrants, or, as they deservedly styled themselves, the Pilgrims, belonged to that English sect the austerity of whose principles had acquired for them the name of Puritans. Puritanism was not merely a religious doctrine, but corresponded in many points with the most absolute democratic and republican theories. It was this tendency that had aroused its most dangerous adversaries. Persecuted by the government of the mother country, and disgusted by the habits of a society which the rigor of their own principles condemned, the Puritans went forth to seek some rude and unfrequented part of the world where they could live according to their own opinions and worship God in freedom.

Tocqueville: Book I Chapter 2

The people who settled in the South, however, were of a different and much uglier breed...

This is BS.. Read the Passenger lists of who came to America, when and on what ship.

Forum List

Back