The real issue in Floyd’s death is the concept of “qualified immunity” police officers benefit from

Police have tough job. It's good we can investigate corrupt cops or just inept or incompetent police officers. But this constant scrutiny on ALL cops, and that they should act in a superhuman prescient manor and be held to such a high standard we can't realistically expect from ANY HUMAN BEING...has a really negative side effect. Lets apply this same standard across the board, to social activist, politicians or the media.

You know, I spent over 20 years of my life in the military, and I can tell you that everyone was held accountable, and we were held to high standards. Interestingly enough, everyone knew that if you screwed up, you could be kicked out and never be allowed to join any branch of the military ever again.

Apparently, cops don't have to meet the same standards as the military, and nobody is really held accountable. But, that is because the police have something that the military doesn't..................police unions and organizations that will defend the police at all costs.

Here's an idea....................why not make becoming a police officer a bit more difficult than just passing the academy? In the military, we have to meet certain physical and mental standards, as well as make it through boot camp. And, we are constantly having our performance evaluated.

Why can't we hold the police to the same standards as the military? Or at least make them as accountable as we make the military. I know that when I was on Security Force, and if I did half the crap that some of these police officers did, I would have been courts martialed, sent to do brig time, and then kicked out, never to return.

What happens when a cop kills someone by "accident"? Nothing. There is a grand jury hearing, usually letting the cop off. If the officer is fired, they are able to go to another town and apply to be a police officer again, even if what they did was bad enough to get them fired from their last post. In the military, if they kick you out, you get what is called an RE-4 code (RE standing for reenlistment, and 4 meaning you can never join any branch of the military ever again). Why is it that a police officer can be fired for abuse of authority and then go get another police job a couple of towns over? Personally, if they get fired from the force, that should kill their chance of ever being in law enforcement again.

If an oversight committee concludes that a police officer made a snap judgment based on years long experience and was mistaken, then they give the officer leeway, that's perfectly understandable. But if the officer acted with obvious and malfeasance and deliberately harmed someone, its got to be be proven. With all the shit flying around here, I feel like I'm in the monkey house. But I guess it's SOO much better to get hyper emotional and burn down businesses and harm innocent people and take jobs away, that's ever so much better.

My only question is why can't the former cop getting charged, tried, convicted, and sentenced be enough for the rest of the planet?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

If an oversight committee concludes that a police officer made a snap judgment based on years long experience and was mistaken, then they give the office leeway, that's perfectly understandable. But if the officer acted with malfeasance and deliberately harmed this fellow out of negligence or worse, its got to be be proven. With all the shit flying around here, I feel like I'm in the monkey house. But i guess it'sSOO much better to get hyper emotional and burn down businesses and harm innocent people and take jobs away, that's ever so much better.

The man was hand cuffed on the ground, and not able to move because 3 cops were on top of him for more than 8 minutes. He repeatedly said he couldn't breath. That doesn't sound like a snap judgement to me.

The real issue with Floyd's death is, the cop didn't kill him. At best the cop's actions was a contributing factor. It's the degree. From the last few of officer involved deaths perhaps when a suspect says he can't breathe the go to reason should be an immediate suspected heart attack. With Eric Garner it was an asthma attack.

Black men are sickly and fragile. Training needs to take this reality into consideration.

Police are rarely prosecuted for their misconduct because of a 1982 Supreme Court decision. The SC maintained at the time this wouldn’t be misappropriated, but clearly that isn’t the case.

“Four decades on, qualified immunity routinely shields both the incompetent and those who knowingly violate the law. In the past year alone — along with the two cases above — courts have granted qualified immunity to:

►Officers who stole $225,000.

►A cop who shot a 10-year-old while trying to shoot a nonthreatening family dog.

►Prison officials who locked an inmate in a sewage-flooded cell for days.

►SWAT team members who fired gas grenades into an innocent woman’s empty home.

►Medical board officials who rifled through a doctor’s client files without a warrant.

►County officials who held a 14-year-old in pretrial solitary confinement for over a month.

►A cop who body-slammed a 5-foot-tall woman for walking away from him.

►Police who picked up a mentally infirmed man, drove him to the county line and dropped him off at dusk along the highway, where he was later struck and killed by a motorist.”
You are correct
It is not as much a black and white issue as cops given broad latitude to use lethal force

Lack of judgement and indifference to safety that would lead to manslaughter charges against a common citizen
It’s rather shocking and makes you wonder when this law would be addressed by the current SC.

A large portion of the right side of the SC has issues with qualified immunity as currently used. The issue is it's not just cops that use it, but many government actors.
It’s true this applies to other government officials, but the level of abuse of this is mainly done by law enforcement.

My concern is the left side of the SC would favor government power protection in general, and thus let QI survive in its current guise.
My concern is that the right side of the SC supports the boys in blue as usual.

Thomas has always had doubts over QI, especially as used currently. I don't think Kavenaugh or Gorsch like it too much either.
Or perhaps they all like it because it benefits them.

It has nothing to do with the judiciary.
Well is that’s true, I don’t expect the RW judges to be more noble. No way.

They have more pause about government power than left wing judges do.

Police have tough job. It's good we can investigate corrupt cops or just inept or incompetent police officers. But this constant scrutiny on ALL cops, and that they should act in a superhuman prescient manor and be held to such a high standard we can't realistically expect from ANY HUMAN BEING...has a really negative side effect. Lets apply this same standard across the board, to social activist, politicians or the media.

Requiring cops to follow the law is not a superhuman requirement.
That's not what this is about, but nice way to miss-characterize this. Nobody is perfect, and I know of instances where police where extorting or even working with organized crime groups, so we all want justice...Police have oversight committees. Meanwhile back at the ranch: The ginormous black on black murder rate/ high black crime rate, lets conveniently ignore that. THEY have no oversight groups. So instead, lets focus on a few bad or inept cops as if it fixes everything.

Requiring cops to follow the law is not a superhuman requirement.
That's not what this is about, but nice way to miss-characterize this. Nobody is perfect, and I know of instances where police where extorting or even working with organized crime groups, so we all want justice...Police have oversight committees. Meanwhile back at the ranch: The ginormous black on black murder rate/ high black crime rate, lets conveniently ignore that. THEY have no oversight groups. So instead, lets focus on a few bad or inept cops as if it fixes everything.

I'm sorry. I thought that was your post talking about snap judgments. Is somebody putting words in your posts that you didn't intend?

If an oversight committee concludes that a police officer made a snap judgment based on years long experience and was mistaken, then they give the office leeway, that's perfectly understandable. But if the officer acted with malfeasance and deliberately harmed this fellow out of negligence or worse, its got to be be proven. With all the shit flying around here, I feel like I'm in the monkey house. But i guess it'sSOO much better to get hyper emotional and burn down businesses and harm innocent people and take jobs away, that's ever so much better.

The man was hand cuffed on the ground, and not able to move because 3 cops were on top of him for more than 8 minutes. He repeatedly said he couldn't breath. That doesn't sound like a snap judgement to me.
You have legit point...accept that certain racial perpetrators use any ruse under the sun to escape custody, it happens a lot. Cops are akin to people in combat, they see things in situational awareness, life-or-death thing. Not like mail carriers or bus drivers. Cops are like our military, thrust into situations they rather no be in, doing things they'd rather not be doing.

Last edited:

You have legit point...accept that certain racial perpetrators use any ruse under the sun to escape custody, it happens a lot. Cops are akin to people in combat, they see things in situational awareness, life-or-death thing. Not like mail carriers or bus drivers. Cops are like our military, thrust into situations they rather no be in, doing things they'd rather not be doing.

Wrong. Cops are NOTHING like our military. In the military we are held accountable for all our actions, and there is regular training that must be passed. Additionally, if a person is kicked out of the military for disciplinary reasons, they are never allowed to rejoin any branch of the military. Cops can be fired for disciplinary reasons, and go get another police job in another town.

Not only that, but when I was on Security Force, we were taught ammo control, not to empty the whole gun into a suspect. We were trained to shoot once or twice, reassess the situation, and fire more rounds as required. The Gunny that trained us would have gone ballistic if someone would have emptied their whole clip into a suspect, even if shooting them was a reasonable response.

Cops have a police union and police associations to defend them. The military has nothing like that.

Wrong. Cops are NOTHING like our military. In the military we are held accountable for all our actions, and there is regular training that must be passed. Additionally, if a person is kicked out of the military for disciplinary reasons, they are never allowed to rejoin any branch of the military. Cops can be fired for disciplinary reasons, and go get another police job in another town.

Not only that, but when I was on Security Force, we were taught ammo control, not to empty the whole gun into a suspect. We were trained to shoot once or twice, reassess the situation, and fire more rounds as required. The Gunny that trained us would have gone ballistic if someone would have emptied their whole clip into a suspect, even if shooting them was a reasonable response.

Cops have a police union and police associations to defend them. The military has nothing like that.
Lets see here, the atrocities the military has committed, No gun ri, or Mi lai. Or the numerous atrocities committed by US service men in Iraq I won't bother to touch on...Really? It's like that, but the same. People under stress make mistakes, police or military. Stress does that. Unless you can prove they did it on purpose, there within, is the rub...

Last edited:

Thank you! Jesus.

It’s sad that a sweet friend of ours is at this time sitting on his couch with a loaded AR 15 in South Carolina because there are riots 5 minutes from his home, he has a wife and 2 small daughters. He is a former Marine and knows how to use his weapon, but he should not have to worry about protecting his family in his own home.

They are well aware of what the job is before they take it. If they would rather not be there, they should quit and find a new job.

My only question is why can't the former cop getting charged, tried, convicted, and sentenced be enough for the rest of the planet?

God bless you always!!!

Holly
He's likely not to be convicted.
Which is why perhaps the rioting may have happened too early if it had to happen at all. If that monster gets away with what he is guilty of, what has taken place so far will only be just the beginning..........

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Indeed.

The left are simply pro-criminal, they want to destroy police force and render Americans defenseless as well.

Forum List

Back