The Queen's Gambit

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I have never had this reaction about any TV series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Queen's_Gambit_(miniseries)

The Queen's Gambit is a seven-episode Netflix series, focusing on a child chess prodigy and her rise through the ranks in international chess competition. It also explores her drug dependency, which was started when she was "medicated" in a girls' boarding school and became addicted.

The series is pretty much OK. The lead actress deserves recognition (Anya Taylor-Joy). But the whole series is justified and completed in the LAST FIVE SECONDS. Nobody is killed or anything like that, but it makes sense of the whole thing. That quick scene just puts a bow on the entire series and makes it whole.

The Queen's Gambit is a seven-episode Netflix series, focusing on a child chess prodigy and her rise through the ranks in international chess competition. It also explores her drug dependency, which was started when she was "medicated" in a girls' boarding school and became addicted.

The series is pretty much OK. The lead actress deserves recognition (Anya Taylor-Joy). But the whole series is justified and completed in the LAST FIVE SECONDS. Nobody is killed or anything like that, but it makes sense of the whole thing. That quick scene just puts a bow on the entire series and makes it whole.

I read the story back in the mid 80s. They did a decent job. Didn't fuck up the chess, for once.
The author also wrote The Hustler and The Color of Money

We enjoyed the series. My sons both played competitive ches when they were in school. Good stuff.

The series had nothing to do with chess, unless you learn to become a grand master by doing drugs and having sex

:auiqs.jpg:

A complete fabrication, but then, people like the drugs and sex. And they may take interest in chess as a result, for about a second or two, and then carry on as if they had never seen the movie.

Great Netflix series showing the rise and struggles of a female chess prodigy

Watched it twice
Well acted and makes a boring, nerdy game like chess compelling
It is true that many / most of the circuit are boring and nerdy off the board but only a non or poor chess player could make your comment -- not knowing the other universes that lie within the game . I played to top regional standard until the age of 18 and only gave up because I needed the time for other interests and continuing further education demands.

It is true that many / most of the circuit are boring and nerdy off the board but only a non or poor chess player could make your comment -- not knowing the other universes that lie within the game . I played to top regional standard until the age of 18 and only gave up because I needed the time for other interests and continuing further education demands.
Bobby Fisher would take a stack of chess magazines into his room and disappear for about 2 weeks to study

Try making a film on that.

:auiqs.jpg:

Forum List

Back