CDZ The Psychology of Trolling

So, gang, what is your opinion of the reason behind the specific troll behavior I mention in the OP?

One theory is that it is a display of a level of sadism, of Machiavellian, psychopathic behavior.

Another is that it is a negative impulse that is essentially lubricated by the anonymity of the internet.

Or some combination therein, which seems likeliest to me.

Thoughts?

THe studies showing it to be sadism works for me.

So, gang, what is your opinion of the reason behind the specific troll behavior I mention in the OP?

One theory is that it is a display of a level of sadism, of Machiavellian, psychopathic behavior.

Another is that it is a negative impulse that is essentially lubricated by the anonymity of the internet.

Thoughts?
Why do you do it?

I'd say because you feel powerless in real life.

That said calling those that disagree with you trolls makes you look partisan.

Yep. Ignoring serious discussion to make a personal attack.

AND in an attempt to shut down discussion that reveals that much of his partisan allies (his?) behavior is trolling and thus sadism.

Thoughts?
Why do you do it?

AND in an attempt to shut down discussion that reveals that much of his partisan allies (his?) behavior is trolling and thus sadism.
I was being completely serious. And I was not trying to shut down conversation. I am sorry you were offended.

Thoughts?
Why do you do it?

I was being completely serious. And I was not trying to shut down conversation. I am sorry you were offended.

Another standard lib personal smear.

Personally attack people, then pretend that their taking offense at being insulted is a flaw on their part.

And you still have not really addressed the OP or the topic.

Thoughts?
Why do you do it?

Personally attack people, then pretend that their taking offense at being insulted is a flaw on their part.

I am genuinely sorry that I offended you.

I've already addressed the topic.

Sadism? My goodness.

USe of ridicule as a troll tactic, very common.

The idea that trolling is sadism has been supported by multiple academic studies.

Your pretense of surprise is not a serious response. You are trying to falsely create the illusion that your enemies point is ridiculous, so that you can avoid serious discussion of a legitimate point.

Thoughts?
Why do you do it?

No, you didn't.

You twisted Mac's words and implied that HE was a troll, and insulted him, and marginalized the topic, but in no way seriously addressed the issue.

Why do you do it?

No, you didn't.

You twisted Mac's words and implied that HE was a troll, and insulted him, and marginalized the topic, but in no way seriously addressed the issue.
Most likely another goal is to derail conversations that they don't like.

She's certainly trying that here.

Another goal would be to get the thread shut down.

While I appreciate the examples of my point that they provide, I don't want the thread shut down.

No, you didn't.

Most likely another goal is to derail conversations that they don't like.

She's certainly trying that here.

Another goal would be to get the thread shut down.

While I appreciate the examples of my point that they provide, I don't want the thread shut down.

I will cease responding to the troll.

He is a troll. All his threads are meant to bait. It doesn't get more trollish than that.

Maybe they are meant to "bait;" maybe they are not. If they are meant as "baiting" threads, one need not "take the bait." Whether one opts to take the bait and march on down the road of depravity is at one's own discretion. One can take any of several high roads, including not responding, or addressing the topic from a mature vantage point and leaving the "bait" aspects out of one's remarks.

It's more fun to laugh at troll threads.

Wow. You and I clearly have differing ideas of what is "fun to laugh at." Be that as it may, one still need not reply to "baiting" remarks if laughing at them is the thing one seeks to enjoy.

Serious discussions can be found all over the forum.

Tell me where the hell they are. I've looked for them and have not succeeded in finding many, so many, that is, as is implied by "all over the forum."

Btw, he invariably "admits" in his threads that he posted them to get a negative reaction. IMO that is always after his threads backfire on him.

Okay. I'll take your word for that. I'm not sure how that affects whether anyone "takes the bait."

Right off hand I'd say:

1 -- the lack of direct contact removes a barrier that otherwise inhibits a person. This is like road rage in a way.

2 -- discussion groups such as this tends to attract hardened partisans who view politics as warfare.

3 -- people who never received attention from their parents for anything positive learned at an early age that the only thing that resulted in any attention at all was acting out, so they repeat that pattern on line.

4 -- People with low I.Q.s tend to repeat talking points rather than offering any sort of logic or reason, and so attract that wrath of those who do not suffer fools gladly.
There has to be a need that is being addressed with this behavior, so I can see #3. And I don't assign this particular behavior with intelligence -- some of the people who behave that way are clearly intelligent. I think it has to do largely with the satisfying of some kind of need instead.

The need is the need to feel important. It's quite obvious reading this board that most of the people who post here are average Americans, that is to say stupid and partisan.

Not going to name names of course, but one can pick out any one of a hundred different posters and read posts where their ideology is in the right about a certain topic and they seem rational and intelligent. Then you follow that same poster to a thread where their ideology is wrong about the topic and suddenly they are morons who lie, misconstrue what others have said, ignore facts, and just generally behave like assholes, IE trolls.

I do not write for those who agree with me, nor do not I write for those who will always disagree with me, I write for those who can still reason whether I am right or wrong..
Or, in my own personal terminology, I just belch out whatever happens to be rattling around in my little brain, and I don't really care whether someone agrees with it or not.

:rock:

It's the reactions I find so interesting. Thinking this through a bit, I suspect that the troll behavior (making everything nasty & personal) could be both based on satisfying some kind of emotional need AND self-exacerbating - the darker forces within our culture are essentially feeding on themselves, spreading.

On another board I post at we had a similar situation where the nastiness just got completely out of hand. It was decided that the board would be made private (still allowing anyone to join but not view able unless a member) and no one could post unless they were willing to have their real names in their avatar. It really cleaned the rancor up, but admittedly made the place a little less fun.

Mods, I'm hoping you won't close the thread now that people are trying to derail it.

No names or ideologies were mentioned in the OP; this could have been an interesting discussion regarding forums, articles, columns, etc. Trolls exist all over the political spectrum. All over the ideological spectrum. All over the social spectrum. All over the cultural spectrum.

This is the CDZ. Is there anywhere we can post without having this happen?

Mods, I'm hoping you won't close the thread now that people are trying to derail it.

No names were mentioned in the OP; this could have been an interesting discussion regarding forums, articles, columns, etc. Trolls exist all over the political spectrum. All over the ideological spectrum. All over the social spectrum. All over the cultural spectrum.

That's the way it goes. A thread about what Hillary did, how long does it take before the first "oh yeah but Trump " post appears? Or vice versa? Sad.

No names were mentioned in the OP; this could have been an interesting discussion regarding forums, articles, columns, etc. Trolls exist all over the political spectrum. All over the ideological spectrum. All over the social spectrum. All over the cultural spectrum.

That's the way it goes. A thread about what Hillary did, how long does it take before the first "oh yeah but Trump " post appears? Or vice versa? Sad.
Yep.

I'm gonna try, yet again, to drag this back to the point of the thread.

What do you suppose is the motivation behind internet trolling? This thread has yielded a few interesting ideas so far.

Last edited:

Yep.

I'm gonna try, yet again, to drag this back to the point of the thread.

What do you suppose is the motivation behind internet trolling? This thread has provided a few interesting ideas so far.

Honestly, it's a combination of things. Some people troll just trying to be funny. Others troll b/c they are just at base dishonest and or stupid people who have nothing intelligent to add to a conversation but feel compelled to comment on topics.

The majority of trolls are the latter group. There are just a lot of stupid people in this country Mac, people who in their real lives no one gives a shit what they have to say. I mean in real life if you walk up to a bunch of people who are having a discussion and you start telling all manner of lies, and exhibiting all manner of stupid behavior, at best you'll soon be told to fuck off, at worst you'll be knocked on your ass. In the virtual world though, you can do anything, say anything, be anyone and who's going to stop you? Oh sure break the very bare minimum rules and you get in trouble, but that's about it.

On the board I was talking about earlier, they have a subforum that is clearly marked no trolling. And the rules frankly make the CDZ look like a free for all. In that sub forum , for example. In a discussion about Clinton and her servers earlier today a poster made the statement that she never claimed she hadn't sent classified emails from her private server. A mod came into the thread and posted a quote from Hillary saying exactly that and then posted a quote from Comey where he says the FBI found that she HAD done so and banned said poster for lying for one week (from that subforum, not from the forum as a whole, not all subforums are that strict) Since those rules were imposed, that subforum is nearly dead, most posters simply do not want to be held to those standards.

People troll for a variety of reasons and I wonder if a thesis has ever been written on it?

One guy I knew, who was a terrible troll, did it because he loved riling people up and he was good at it because most of them never recognized how they were being manipulated. But if you just played with him - it was kind of fun and he wasn't serious.

It's more fun to laugh at troll threads.

Wow. You and I clearly have differing ideas of what is "fun to laugh at." Be that as it may, one still need not reply to "baiting" remarks if laughing at them is the thing one seeks to enjoy.

Serious discussions can be found all over the forum.

Tell me where the hell they are. I've looked for them and have not succeeded in finding many, so many, that is, as is implied by "all over the forum."

Btw, he invariably "admits" in his threads that he posted them to get a negative reaction. IMO that is always after his threads backfire on him.

Okay. I'll take your word for that. I'm not sure how that affects whether anyone "takes the bait."
In the Flame Zone mostly. I know there is a lot of flaming going on there but we also have serious discussions. I would say in comparison to the insults flung in the main forums the ones in the FZ are mild. Plus we police our own.

Forum List

Back