The power to propel us to the stars

may take us 100 years to get to that point and we'll have made much progress in the fields of nano-tech and AI. Imagine a self-replicating AI the size of a molecule. It could be accelerated almost to light-speed and make the trip to the nearest stars in just years (stopping is another issue). Once there it would have the ability to populate it in a variety of ways. We would spread our humanity, just not our humans.
"At a recent talk at Harvard University, Philip Lubin of the University of California, Santa Barbara, presented a plan to launch small probes deep into space. Using an array of laser thrusters, a probe weighing one gram (just 0.035 ounces) would travel 4.4 light years the nearest star, Alpha Centauri, in just two decades. That’s only twice as long as it took the New Horizons spacecraft to fly by Pluto."​
A non reality, please try again.

All the clown has to do is shrink the laser by 5,000,000 percent, and stop licking Gerry Garcia stamps

Prof-Philip-Lubin.jpg
I'm embarrassed to have to point this out but the laser would remain in our solar system, it would never travel anywhere so the size of it wouldn't matter.
LOL you should be embarrassed to point out a laser that would be effective at billions or trillions of miles away

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Dude a Sun is not effective at that range, so is this laser more powerful than the Sun at trillions of miles
Here ya go kid,

Voyager's transmitter:

As you said, the radio strength of Voyager 1 is about 23 watts. This signal is directed toward Earth, but since Voyager 1 is about 15 billion kilometers from Earth, by the time Voyager 1's signal reaches us its power is less than an attowatt, or a billionth of a billionth of a watt
You are not understanding the problem here which is that the new transmitter has to weigh less than about a 20th of a gram because the new science fiction probe has to weigh a gram or less. The Voyager probe weighs 1800 lbs. But you keep on babbling about your scify probe. You have no clue

Last edited:
Ah, you are brimming with hatred. Let it all come out of your tortured soul.

Ah, you are brimming with hatred. Let it all come out of your tortured soul.
Then why am I laughing so hard?

Yo you were right, I found an image of the Harvard probe to Alpha Centauri, naturally since is smaller than a dime it is magnified thousands of times. The design is brilliant as cost were kept down by using a lego frame. It's a miracle

1707396-o_198r0n30d19343uv16a81s5quto7-thumbnail-full.png

may take us 100 years to get to that point and we'll have made much progress in the fields of nano-tech and AI. Imagine a self-replicating AI the size of a molecule. It could be accelerated almost to light-speed and make the trip to the nearest stars in just years (stopping is another issue). Once there it would have the ability to populate it in a variety of ways. We would spread our humanity, just not our humans.
"At a recent talk at Harvard University, Philip Lubin of the University of California, Santa Barbara, presented a plan to launch small probes deep into space. Using an array of laser thrusters, a probe weighing one gram (just 0.035 ounces) would travel 4.4 light years the nearest star, Alpha Centauri, in just two decades. That’s only twice as long as it took the New Horizons spacecraft to fly by Pluto."​

All the clown has to do is shrink the laser by 5,000,000 percent, and stop licking Gerry Garcia stamps

Prof-Philip-Lubin.jpg
I'm embarrassed to have to point this out but the laser would remain in our solar system, it would never travel anywhere so the size of it wouldn't matter.
LOL you should be embarrassed to point out a laser that would be effective at billions or trillions of miles away

Dude a Sun is not effective at that range, so is this laser more powerful than the Sun at trillions of miles
Here ya go kid,

Voyager's transmitter:

As you said, the radio strength of Voyager 1 is about 23 watts. This signal is directed toward Earth, but since Voyager 1 is about 15 billion kilometers from Earth, by the time Voyager 1's signal reaches us its power is less than an attowatt, or a billionth of a billionth of a watt
You are not understanding the problem here which is that the new transmitter has to weigh less than about a 20th of a gram because the new science fiction probe has to weigh a gram or less. The Voyager probe weighs 1800 lbs. But you keep on babbling about your scify probe. You have no clue
How much does the transmitter in your cell phone weigh?

Prof-Philip-Lubin.jpg

Here ya go kid,

Voyager's transmitter:

Does not matter kid because when I go offshore in my boat it stops working when it loses touch with a cell tower. You clearly have no idea how anything works

Yo you were right, I found an image of the Harvard probe to Alpha Centauri, naturally since is smaller than a dime it is magnified thousands of times. The design is brilliant as cost were kept down by using a lego frame. It's a miracle
I see you are still carrying that woman across the river.

The really funny thing is that you actually have a degree or two in being completely inept and ineffective

b5859e_5407850eb0e14535a8072a747806f2c6~mv2_d_2063_1603_s_2.jpg

The really funny thing is that you actually have a degree or two in being completely inept and ineffective

Stop carrying the woman grasshopper. Your soul is broken.

Prof-Philip-Lubin.jpg

Here ya go kid,

Voyager's transmitter:

Does not matter kid because when I go offshore in my boat it stops working when it loses touch with a cell tower. You clearly have no idea how anything works
A typical cellphone has enough power to reach a cell tower up to 45 miles away. Depending on the technology of the cellphone network, the maximum distance may be as low as 22 miles because the signal otherwise takes too long for the highly accurate timing of the cellphone protocol to work reliably. Now you know how things work.

Pioneer 10 is 12,000,000,000 km from Earth and still keeps in touch via small, land-base antennas.

A typical cellphone has enough power to reach a cell tower up to 45 miles away. Depending on the technology of the cellphone network, the maximum distance may be as low as 22 miles because the signal otherwise takes too long for the highly accurate timing of the cellphone protocol to work reliably. Now you know how things work.

Pioneer 10 is 12,000,000,000 km from Earth and still keeps in touch via small, land-base antennas.
As I understand it, Lubin's proposal has a whole caravan of probes. The trailing probes are simply repeaters that would receive the signal from an earlier probe and pass it down to the next. That totally defeats the inverse square law of the huge distance. I would guess that the probes "solar" sails would be parabolic to serve a double purpose and also act as efficient antennas. The battery power of the caravan of probes would not be needed until the leading probe was in the vicinity of the target star.

Stop carrying the woman grasshopper. Your soul is broken.
I do not know what is more satisfying, first not knowing what the hey you are babbling about, or not caring to know because I know that the babbles of boobs like you are irrelevant.

Again you wasted an education just to entertain me

Prof-Philip-Lubin.jpg

Here ya go kid,

Voyager's transmitter:

Not true, as I can verify that often a cell phone loses signal after perhaps 5 miles offshore, and the new 5G will work even less as the signal is actually weaker in many respects. As for Pioneer 10 it weighs 600 lbs not one gram. Pioneer 10 also has a small nuclear reactor producing 155 watts of electricity. Your science fiction probe weighs as much as one quarter of one marble which coincidentally is about the size of your brain. Do tell us what is the power source for the one gram probe and how big is the antenna.

Answer there is no antenna or power source because it is fiction, but you have no clue

Last edited:

As I understand it, Lubin's proposal has a whole caravan of probes. The trailing probes are simply repeaters that would receive the signal from an earlier probe and pass it down to the next. That totally defeats the inverse square law of the huge distance. I would guess that the probes "solar" sails would be parabolic to serve a double purpose and also act as efficient antennas. The battery power of the caravan of probes would not be needed until the leading probe was in the vicinity of the target star.

Not mathematically feasible because of

1, the short telemetry range of a gram sized probe
2. the sheer number of probes needed would be in the billions
3. the inevitable fact that with billions or millions as the case may be of probes that one would fail or be knocked out disabling the chain with no hope of repair.

It's fiction kid, if you understood engineering you would know that the simplest solution with the fewest parts is always preferable to a complicated one such as this billion link chain that is failed before beginning

I do not know what is more satisfying, first not knowing what the hey you are babbling about, or not caring to know because I know that the babbles of boobs like you are irrelevant.

Yes you do.

Yes you do.

Not mathematically feasible because of

1, the short telemetry range of a gram sized probe
2. the sheer number of probes needed would be in the billions
3. the inevitable fact that with billions or millions as the case may be of probes that one would fail or be knocked out disabling the chain with no hope of repair.

It's fiction kid, if you understood engineering you would know that the simplest solution with the fewest parts is always preferable to a complicated one such as this billion link chain that is failed before beginning
Smarter ones than you are doing the feasibility study.

Yes you do.
My little grasshopper is very entertaining.

Forum List

Back