The Only Successful Coup in the US

Interesting read..thanks. Absent the idiots who will immediately show up to claim that this was done by the Democratic Party of today--a cogent relation of the times. it was the last hurrah of Reconstruction and the final winning battle for Jim Crow. I'd not read about Wilmington..but there are so many stories of Blacks doing well..and being crushed for it--they all kinda blur.

The dirty side of Conservatism...and not partaken of by every Conservative. Some things never change..the rich in the South used the poor white farmer to do their dirty work..and the poor whites went for it every time!

Interesting read..thanks. Absent the idiots who will immediately show up to claim that this was done by the Democratic Party of today--a cogent relation of the times. it was the last hurrah of Reconstruction and the final winning battle for Jim Crow. I'd not read about Wilmington..but there are so many stories of Blacks doing well..and being crushed for it--they all kinda blur.

The dirty side of Conservatism...and not partaken of by every Conservative. Some things never change..the rich in the South used the poor white farmer to do their dirty work..and the poor whites went for it every time!

LOL southern democrats were for individual rights and Liberties....sureee

You can call it a "coup" (not even a political coup) but the 19th century political turmoil in Wilmington North Carolina hardly rises to the level of the term "political coup" that we understand in the post 20th century.

Good article. A reminder of how open Jim Crow terror was ... or at least could become. Racism and race riots against blacks were of course not just limited to the South. Until WWI the vast majority of African Americans still lived in southern states, mostly disenfranchised, with little opportunity or education, segregated and despised. During the Great Depression and as late as WWII this situation for African-Americans changed little. I hope NOBODY is talking about returning to anything like this when they talk about making America “great again.”

Forum List

Back