The new burger chef makes $3 an hour and never goes home

Good. That will teach those uppity humans to demand more than the 25 cents an hour Wall Street pays it's Red Chinese slave labor.

Any news on how much this bot spends on goods from other businesses? I bet it's a lot!!!
Greed is a terrible thing, but we see it coming on stronger and stronger. Then we see people complaining about not having laborers to come help them in their yards and homes after they get off work from McDonald's ext. Rotflmbo

Again... it's not a matter of "greed". Would you work a job that sent you into bankruptcy? No you would not. Even if doing that job, created jobs for other people. So you must be greedy for not destroying yourself and your family for the good of other people?

Of course not. Well, companies are no different. If you are faced with closing stores, or having robots, they'll have robots. That's not greed. That is economic reality.

And honestly, if they refused to use robots, and those stores all closed... all those people would still lose their jobs either way, and now you won't have any stores to go to.

Which is worse? Stores with robots, or no stores? Greed has nothing to do with it. That's an excuse by people who have never run a business.
I don't know Andy, people aren't as dumb as people think. They do their homework. The thing is that we are seeing very bad labor practices that doesn't warrant raises and perks, but rather should be drawing seperation papers instead. So when labor and the Democrat unionize against businesses it creates huge problems, and it forces buisneses to declare war if they can't off-load the bad employee's before giving raises and perks in the process. You know good and well that if a company has great employee's, service, quality, standards, and etc, then you like me are going to frequent the place, and the company is going to reep the benefits of it all.

All true... but there's a limit. Namely price. The Chipotle here is fantastic. But I won't go there anymore, because the price is too high for some rice, and a few chicken chunks. It's just too high. Doesn't matter how polite they are, if the cost of the service is too much. I'm not paying $7 for a cheap rice and chicken burrito.

Back when it was $4.25 for a burrito, it made sense, and I went there constantly. But now the exact same burrito, is over $7? No. Too much.

Now if they replace people with a burrito robot, and it works as effectively for $5 a burrito... I'll go back.

In the end, everything has a price point, and that price point to the consumer, doesn't change because the government says that the "do you white or brown rice?" guy needs a middle class income.

If the guy who changes the oil in your car, said he deserves more money, and now wants $100 an oil change, are you going to pay it? No, you'll change the oil yourself, or find some back-yard mechanic to change your oil.

This is how the world works.

lol minimum wage here has been the same for a very long time, and yet the prices have tripled anyway. But ideologies need lots of bullshit and lying to justify their fantasies of where cost increases come from. I remember when all the right wingers danced in the streets when Saint Ronald Of Reagan imported a bunch of wetbacks to bust the meat packers' union strikes, and succeeded. Did the wholesale prices of meat drop, even by 1 red cent? Nah, they in fact increased at a higher rate than they did before the strikes. lol right wingers can't do math any better than Bernie's Gurlz can.

When I was reading this article I was thinking that these things, unlike humans, might even get your order right. Imagine that. When I used to eat this kind of stuff they hardly ever got my order right. I always said, hey, no pickles, because I hate pickles, but they always put pickles on it anyway. It was like talking to the wall.

Anyway...

Miso can offer Flippys to fast-food restaurant owners for an estimated $2,000 per month on a subscription basis, breaking down to about $3 per hour. (The actual cost will depend on customers’ specific needs). A human doing the same job costs $4,000 to $10,000 or more a month, depending on a restaurant’s hours and the local minimum wage. And robots never call in sick.

So far, early versions of Flippy have put in time on the line at Dodger Stadium and at locations of CaliBurger, a small quick-serve chain that Jordan says also functions as “a restaurant tech incubator masquerading as a burger joint” (Cali Group, CaliBurger’s parent company, is the parent company of Miso Robotics as well as two other restaurant industry start-ups.) The next version of the robot will use the new, cheaper arms and be mounted on an overhead rail to conserve floor space in tight kitchens...

...Flippy is poised to become a regular part of fast-food kitchens across the country in the next year, especially in markets with higher labor and real estate costs like California.

Continued - The new burger chef makes $3 an hour and never goes home
It's bad for Californians in that it will take some short order cook jobs, but it's good for Californians in that it will help bring down the ridiculous cost of eating there.

The world is becoming more and more like the Jetsons, I swear.
Evaluating Smart Home Technology from The Jetsons

When I was reading this article I was thinking that these things, unlike humans, might even get your order right. Imagine that. When I used to eat this kind of stuff they hardly ever got my order right. I always said, hey, no pickles, because I hate pickles, but they always put pickles on it anyway. It was like talking to the wall.

Anyway...

Miso can offer Flippys to fast-food restaurant owners for an estimated $2,000 per month on a subscription basis, breaking down to about $3 per hour. (The actual cost will depend on customers’ specific needs). A human doing the same job costs $4,000 to $10,000 or more a month, depending on a restaurant’s hours and the local minimum wage. And robots never call in sick.

So far, early versions of Flippy have put in time on the line at Dodger Stadium and at locations of CaliBurger, a small quick-serve chain that Jordan says also functions as “a restaurant tech incubator masquerading as a burger joint” (Cali Group, CaliBurger’s parent company, is the parent company of Miso Robotics as well as two other restaurant industry start-ups.) The next version of the robot will use the new, cheaper arms and be mounted on an overhead rail to conserve floor space in tight kitchens...

...Flippy is poised to become a regular part of fast-food kitchens across the country in the next year, especially in markets with higher labor and real estate costs like California.

It's bad for Californians in that it will take some short order cook jobs, but it's good for Californians in that it will help bring down the ridiculous cost of eating there.

Wrong. They will still charge whatever the people will pay, regardless of labor costs; it's a myth costs will drop if labor gets cheap. Have many millions of wetbacks flooding the country dropped the cost of buying houses in bubbles? lol of course not.

These puff pieces seem to have no idea what the up front costs of these gadgets are, their maintenance costs are, their working lifespans, etc. In fact they seem to do little more than the rotisseries we had in the 1970's did, which cooked the patties and toasted the buns at the same time.

Anyway...

Wrong. They will still charge whatever the people will pay, regardless of labor costs; it's a myth costs will drop if labor gets cheap. Have many millions of wetbacks flooding the country dropped the cost of buying houses in bubbles? lol of course not.

These puff pieces seem to have no idea what the up front costs of these gadgets are, their maintenance costs are, their working lifespans, etc. In fact they seem to do little more than the rotisseries we had in the 1970's did, which cooked the patties and toasted the buns at the same time.
Some smarty will charge a buck less for his burgers and steal most of the business in town. So the others will drop their burgers a buck. It's how things work.

Anyway...

Some smarty will charge a buck less for his burgers and steal most of the business in town. So the others will drop their burgers a buck. It's how things work.

Nah, that's not how it works; what works is convenience and location. And, big chains will also be able to run the little Moms N Pops off any corner and also charge less for a long periods of time until they close up, then they can raise their prices. Then there is the fact that few of these chain franchises are one joint Joes; they're major companies these days themselves, owning multiple stores in several different franchises, i.e. the same company likely owns that Arby's across the street from that KFC or McDonald's.

Anyway...

I see the inspiration for a new horror flick here. Flippy Krueger perhaps...... serving humans.

When brick and mortar businesses have all but gone extinct, not really how it works.

Having once peddled capital equipment for a living, I'm a long time fan of automation. I talked myself blue in the face trying to get the semiconductor industry from shipping their operations offshore and chasing cheap labor to no avail. Now it seems they're realizing their mistakes but it may be too late. It didn't help that the idiotic governments with their environmental nonsense and stupid tax laws doing everything they could to force it offshore must less the idiotic run amok labor unions shooting themselves in the foot at every turn.

When brick and mortar businesses have all but gone extinct, not really how it works.

I don't think brick and mortar businesses will ever go completely extinct.

Even just last week, had a guy tell me that he greatly preferred buying from MicroCenter (a computer store local to here), over ordering computer parts on the internet, because if he had a problem, he could return it, or replace it the next day, and he could try on all the headphones and such, to see how they fit before buying.

And there are surprising to me, a number of people who like that experience.

Now I do think that the number of, or perhaps the size of brick and mortar stores will decrease. That I think is a given, and what we've seen. But I don't think there is much danger of them going "extinct" or something. Just not a likely outcome.

lol minimum wage here has been the same for a very long time, and yet the prices have tripled anyway. But ideologies need lots of bullshit and lying to justify their fantasies of where cost increases come from. I remember when all the right wingers danced in the streets when Saint Ronald Of Reagan imported a bunch of wetbacks to bust the meat packers' union strikes, and succeeded. Did the wholesale prices of meat drop, even by 1 red cent? Nah, they in fact increased at a higher rate than they did before the strikes. lol right wingers can't do math any better than Bernie's Gurlz can.

Well having worked at several restaurants, and talked directly with managers, I can say without any doubt, that the minimum wage most certainly did directly increase prices to consumers.

As with any price, supply and demand are factors for sure. With beef specifically, the demand for beef was increasing faster than the supply of beef. Thus prices go up.

As for busting the meat packers unions, that should have happened regardless of price outcome. You don't own your job. You don't own the plant. You don't own the meat. You don't own anything, but what you yourself pay for.

So if the company wants to lay you off, and replace you, they should be able to do that for any reason at all. It's their company, not yours.

Having once peddled capital equipment for a living, I'm a long time fan of automation. I talked myself blue in the face trying to get the semiconductor industry from shipping their operations offshore and chasing cheap labor to no avail. Now it seems they're realizing their mistakes but it may be too late. It didn't help that the idiotic governments with their environmental nonsense and stupid tax laws doing everything they could to force it offshore must less the idiotic run amok labor unions shooting themselves in the foot at every turn.

Actually constant petty patent lawsuits by Apple, Intel, and Microsoft chased most of the electronics out of the U.S., as they bullied their way into monopolies, or tried to. Our loss was Red China's and Taiwan's gain. Startups and niche firms can't afford to stay in courts forever against deep pocket pirates, no matter whether they're in the right.

Last edited:

Actually petty patent lawsuits by Apple, Intel, and Microsoft chased most of the electronics out of the U.S., as they bullied their way into monopolies, or tried to. Our loss was Red China's and Taiwan's gain. Startups and niche firms can't afford to stay in courts forever against deep pocket pirates, no matter whether they're in the right.

Actually as most patents are international, that isn't exactly the case. The patent attorney for the company I worked for applied for patents simultaneously in the US and other countries in order to get international coverage while most countries today also recognize patents granted in other nations such as between Europe and the USA. Therefore if you have a US patent you're automatically covered in France, Germany the UK etc. As I worked for a company with a strong presence in China you can best believe ours were all covered there.
In actual fact the best defence for trade secrets and such related to process etc, was just to keep your mouth shut and say nothing because as soon as you filed a patent the competition was looking for work arounds.

Last edited:

Actually petty patent lawsuits by Apple, Intel, and Microsoft chased most of the electronics out of the U.S., as they bullied their way into monopolies, or tried to. Our loss was Red China's and Taiwan's gain. Startups and niche firms can't afford to stay in courts forever against deep pocket pirates, no matter whether they're in the right.

Actually as most patents are international, that isn't exactly the case. The patent attorney for the company I worked for applied for patents simultaneously in the US and other countries in order to get international coverage while most countries today also recognize patents granted in other nations such as between Europe and the USA. Therefore if you have a US patent you're automatically covered in France, Germany the UK etc. As I worked for a company with a strong presence in China you can best believe ours were all covered there.

Most Asian governments don't give a rat's ass about patents, and certainly not Asian companies. That's why Microsoft was the main lobbyist spending millions to get the U.S. into Red China, to cover his own ass and money and try and get some leverage with the Chinese govt. to crack down on the pirating of MS software, and the same with Intel. Even today tech companies merely have to sell via a Hong Kong front company to sell to the Red Chinese military the latest U.S. tech.

I've worked for several comm companies myself as a contractor, most recently in Singapore. Stolen tech is everywhere, they thrive on it. What happens is the companies just start letting the pirate companies build their own boards and electronics, so they at least get some of their money back rather than spend millions in Asian courts on suits they're never going to win.

Last edited:
What if this is the calm before the storm? Having robots do the jobs cheaper for now to keep prices down and affordable. Any of you remember the first ATM machines. The one I first used was caused George. I believe it was from Girard Bank. Anyway this was to be cheap and helpful to us all. Today we have a lot of computerized banking and a lot of fees all over the place with very little interest. It seems like we pay to keep money in the bank. They used to give out toasters for gosh sakes!

What if this is the calm before the storm? Having robots do the jobs cheaper for now to keep prices down and affordable. Any of you remember the first ATM machines. The one I first used was caused George. I believe it was from Girard Bank. Anyway this was to be cheap and helpful to us all. Today we have a lot of computerized banking and a lot of fees all over the place with very little interest. It seems like we pay to keep money in the bank. They used to give out toasters for gosh sakes!

Hell they used to pump gas for you then give you trading stamps and dishes, check under your hood and sweep out your car for filling up with cheap gas too.

I'm not against innovation. It could make the cost less for labor, but these robots will still need regular maintenance and repair. How would overall cost vs. benefits be?

Furthermore, if these end up being smart robots, i.e. software or AI controlled, then they can be hacked. Right now, it still takes a human employee to put out the meat and stuff. I'm afraid some smarty will hack these smart robots and cause some major mischief and damage.

Forum List

Back