The Myth of the Unpaid College Athlete

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Extracted from a NYT Opinion piece today: "...For many college competitors, but for football [players] in particular, the demands of practice and travel can exceed those of a full-time job. The players do it all, however, for no pay..."

This is ABSOLUTE RUBBISH, and the purveyors of such rubbish should be slapped about their ignorant heads and shoulders mercilessly, until they drop.

Let's have a look: The non-resident tuition at Ohio STATE University is $32,601 per year, and the room & board charge is $12,708. That is $45,309 AFTER TAX dollars. I have not chosen a private institution - where the tuition is generally much higher - but a huge state college, which, cost wise, is approximately middle-of-the-road.

Being as generous as I can be, I would estimate that being a football player (the most time consuming sport, I would suppose) is the equivalent of a FULL TIME JOB for the approximately 20 weeks from the beginning of August until the end of football season...then a half-time job (conditioning and what-not) for the months of January, February, and March. As hinted above, this is a ludicrous over-estimation of the time commitment, as these "students" must somehow make time for the inconvenience of going to fucking classes and studying (hold the laughter).

But adding that all up, it conveniently works out to almost exactly one half of a 12-month full time job - 1,040 hours per year. And using my trusty hand-held gazintifier, that works out to MORE THAN FORTY-FIVE DOLLARS PER HOUR.

But that's not the whole picture. If the student-athlete is not just fucking around academically, the effort of being a student will increase his lifetime earnings (presuming he does NOT play professional football - which is statistically valid), by at least a half a million dollars over his working life. It has also been argued by many proponents that the fact of being a college football player ITSELF is an added benefit, as the discipline (etc.) makes him a more valuable employee and person, for the rest of his days.

Playing NCAA Division I football is a Sweet Deal Indeed for everyone who takes the "student" in student-athlete seriously, and gets a degree. For those who don't...what can you say? They are still much better off with 3-4 years of college exposure, for which they have paid not a dime.

Most schools don't make a "profit" on sports. They take in more for football and BB than they spend, and the excess funds most of the cost of the lesser-valued sports, particular since the advent of the preposterous Title IX.

Fuck 'em. They are already over-paid. If they want to go get a job, let them try that. If there is "injustice" in all this, it is the fact that the NFL refuses to fund a "minor league" like MLB does, and relies on the colleges to nurture their future players, at no cost. But compelling college sports programs, most of which lose money anyway, to pay cash to players is too much of a perversion to countenance. Colleges and Universities exist for EDUCATION. We are about the only country in the world with the insanity of college sports and if they went away entirely it would be a net positive for the world of Academe. Again I say, Fuck 'em.

Good financial analysis.

But it leaves off the financial end of the equation. These players fill a 100,000 seat stadium ($120 a ticket) and make Ohio State and the Big 10 massive TV revenue. They also contribute to the “Brand” of OSU in alumni contributions, OSU merchandise and student enrollment.

Last edited:
This is analogous to an employee who works making a patented or proprietary product (very profitable), but is still well paid. So what?

NCAA athletes are extremely well paid. Make the same analysis for one of the other sports where the time commitment is only half of what it is for football. The hourly rate doubles (scholarship has the same value).

This is analogous to an employee who works making a patented or proprietary product (very profitable), but is still well paid. So what?

NCAA athletes are extremely well paid. Make the same analysis for one of the other sports where the time commitment is only half of what it is for football. The hourly rate doubles (scholarship has the same value).
When 100,000 people pay $120 a ticket to watch that employee do his job, $45,000 a year does not seem that generous

The kid on a swimming scholarship is getting a bargain

The vast majority of college football players are standing around playing grab-ass during the games. Eleven on the field and 60 on full-scholarship playing grab ass. Nobody is paying to see that.

And anyone paying $120 for a college football ticket is certifiable (if you get my drift).

Good financial analysis.

But it leaves off the financial end of the equation. These players fill a 100,000 seat stadium ($120 a ticket) and make Ohio State and the Big 10 massive TV revenue. They also contribute to the “Brand” of OSU in alumni contributions, OSU merchandise and student enrollment.

I can see both sides of the argument, however the ones that entirely dismiss the value of the education are not being honest.

Also the opinion of anyone who leaves early to go the NFL is not worth much as they are by CHOICE leaving early to make the NFL level money.

This is mostly about football, as football has the highest time commitment. Basketball players have more time to at least try to focus on academics and make use of the scholarships they are getting.

When 100,000 people pay $120 a ticket to watch that employee do his job, $45,000 a year does not seem that generous

Without the surplus some football programs generate the swimming kid wouldn't get a scholarship to begin with.

Extracted from a NYT Opinion piece today: "...For many college competitors, but for football [players] in particular, the demands of practice and travel can exceed those of a full-time job. The players do it all, however, for no pay..."

This is ABSOLUTE RUBBISH, and the purveyors of such rubbish should be slapped about their ignorant heads and shoulders mercilessly, until they drop.

Let's have a look: The non-resident tuition at Ohio STATE University is $32,601 per year, and the room & board charge is $12,708. That is $45,309 AFTER TAX dollars. I have not chosen a private institution - where the tuition is generally much higher - but a huge state college, which, cost wise, is approximately middle-of-the-road.

Being as generous as I can be, I would estimate that being a football player (the most time consuming sport, I would suppose) is the equivalent of a FULL TIME JOB for the approximately 20 weeks from the beginning of August until the end of football season...then a half-time job (conditioning and what-not) for the months of January, February, and March. As hinted above, this is a ludicrous over-estimation of the time commitment, as these "students" must somehow make time for the inconvenience of going to fucking classes and studying (hold the laughter).

But adding that all up, it conveniently works out to almost exactly one half of a 12-month full time job - 1,040 hours per year. And using my trusty hand-held gazintifier, that works out to MORE THAN FORTY-FIVE DOLLARS PER HOUR.

But that's not the whole picture. If the student-athlete is not just fucking around academically, the effort of being a student will increase his lifetime earnings (presuming he does NOT play professional football - which is statistically valid), by at least a half a million dollars over his working life. It has also been argued by many proponents that the fact of being a college football player ITSELF is an added benefit, as the discipline (etc.) makes him a more valuable employee and person, for the rest of his days.

Playing NCAA Division I football is a Sweet Deal Indeed for everyone who takes the "student" in student-athlete seriously, and gets a degree. For those who don't...what can you say? They are still much better off with 3-4 years of college exposure, for which they have paid not a dime.

Most schools don't make a "profit" on sports. They take in more for football and BB than they spend, and the excess funds most of the cost of the lesser-valued sports, particular since the advent of the preposterous Title IX.

Fuck 'em. They are already over-paid. If they want to go get a job, let them try that. If there is "injustice" in all this, it is the fact that the NFL refuses to fund a "minor league" like MLB does, and relies on the colleges to nurture their future players, at no cost. But compelling college sports programs, most of which lose money anyway, to pay cash to players is too much of a perversion to countenance. Colleges and Universities exist for EDUCATION. We are about the only country in the world with the insanity of college sports and if they went away entirely it would be a net positive for the world of Academe. Again I say, Fuck 'em.

Exactly how many times do you intend to post some variation of the same bitter envious diatribe against sports that you have posted hundreds and hundreds of times here already? Everyone gets it, you are weak and clumsy and have always resented those who are not. We get it. MoveOn.

Good financial analysis.

I can see both sides of the argument, however the ones that entirely dismiss the value of the education are not being honest.

Also the opinion of anyone who leaves early to go the NFL is not worth much as they are by CHOICE leaving early to make the NFL level money.

This is mostly about football, as football has the highest time commitment. Basketball players have more time to at least try to focus on academics and make use of the scholarships they are getting.

Why do you think football has the greatest time commitment?

Good financial analysis.

It's the most complicated sport with the largest roster.

Good financial analysis.

"Most complicated" is a subjective view.

Good financial analysis.

From a logistics point it really isn't. Just the offense has 4 parts, quarterback, backfield, line blocking, line offense.

Good financial analysis.

From a logistics point it really isn't. Just the offense has 4 parts, quarterback, backfield, line blocking, line offense.

Any sport, at a high enough level, is more complicated than a mere observer is likely to appreciate.

Good financial analysis.

Any sport, at a high enough level, is more complicated than a mere observer is likely to appreciate.

But football requires the highest time commitment from both players and coaches. The sheer number of variables in the plays done, the interactions between the players for each play, and the number of players involved makes it a bigger time sink than basketball or baseball from a preparation standpoint.

Good financial analysis.

But football requires the highest time commitment from both players and coaches. ....
See my previous comment.

I frankly don't know how much time is occupied by being a Division I football player, or any other sport. I have acquaintances who played college baseball, and the coaches did their best to occupy as much time as possible, in order to make themselves seem more important.

The sport is irrelevant to the discussion. Even assuming the absolute maximum time commitment by a scholarship athlete, and a middle-of-the road tuition level, the compensation of a full-ride scholarship is more than sufficient to compensate the players. The perceived need to pay them a salary on top of the scholarship is absurd.

Take any individual player on the football team and replace them with somebody else. How many fewer butts are in the stands? I'd venture to say "zero". So while yes Johnny or whomever plays on the team-are the fans really there to see Johnny or is it to really see the team as a whole?

Also Johnny gets tuition, per diem, room+board, etc.

Good financial analysis.

Very true and we're off on a tangent here but that doesn't mean it's the hardest to play. Ice hockey is much more difficult.

Even SLAVES got room, board, and all the cotton they could pick. Yep, college athletes aren't paid and they should be, because their schools are making berjillions. A tiny TINY percentage of them will cash in with the NFL, MLB or NBA.

Fewer than 2 percent of NCAA student-athletes go on to be professional athletes. In reality, most student-athletes depend on academics to prepare them for life after college.

If you don't like college sports, then for the love of God DON'T WATCH THEM!!

Forum List

Back