The Militia

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
Some of us were talking about the militia, and I was curious so I googled this info. I learned some things about the movement here in the USA:

The militia movement is heir to the right-wing paramilitary tradition, but it is heir, too, to another tradition, the anti-government ideology of groups like the Posse Comitatus. The Posse developed an elaborate conspiratorial view of American history and government, one that claimed the legitimate government had been subverted by conspirators and replaced with an illegitimate, tyrannical government. Posse members believed that the people had the power and responsibility to "take back" the government, through force of arms if necessary. As a result, many Posse figures engaged in paramilitary training. Most notable among these was William Potter Gale, a Christian Identity minister who was one of the founders of the Posse. In the 1980s, he appointed himself "chief of staff" to the "Unorganized Militia" of a group known as the Committee of the States. Gale's appropriation of the term "unorganized militia" is significant; it is a statutory term in federal and state law that refers to the nominal manpower pool created a century ago when federal law formally abandoned compulsory militia service. In using the term, Gale implied that his organization was not only legal but that it was, in fact, a constitutional arm of the government. This argument would be amplified by later militia proponents (Gale himself died in the late 1980s) who claimed that militia groups were: (a) equivalent to the statutory militia; (b) not, however, controlled by the government; and (c) in fact, designed to oppose the government should it become tyrannical.

The Militia Movement -- Extremism in America

I'm saying that they take some elements of truth and pad them copiously with lies, to frame virtually anyone and everyone as antisemitic.

I looked at their sections on tax protesters and the sovereign citizen movement, and they've grabbed a few of the people involved (believe me I've met a ton of those people) and very lamely tried to smear everyone involved in those kinds of obscure fringe associations as Jew haters by association.

Like I said....Pond scum.

I'm saying that they take some elements of truth and pad them copiously with lies, to frame virtually anyone and everyone as antisemitic.

I looked at their sections on tax protesters and the sovereign citizen movement, and they've grabbed a few of the people involved (believe me I've met a ton of those people) and very lamely tried to smear everyone involved in those kinds of obscure fringe associations as Jew haters by association.

Like I said....Pond scum.

OK, well it's what came up when I googled "militia" -Let me see what else I can find on them from another source.

Here is one from ABC:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=8307935

Militia groups with gripes against the government are regrouping across the country and could grow rapidly, according to an organization that tracks such trends.

The stress of a poor economy and a liberal administration led by a black president are among the causes for the recent rise, the report from the Southern Poverty Law Center says. Conspiracy theories about a secret Mexican plan to reclaim the Southwest are also growing amid the public debate about illegal immigration.

The SPLC...That's the other bunch of pond scum looyahs I was trying to think of...Thanks. :)

Sorry...I find the credibility of people who see racists and antisemites behind every bush incredibly strained, at best.

Gotcha.

OK, can you direct me to a link about that militia that you don't think is biased then?

Not really...They're not exactly the kinds of people who keep websites.

Most of them (and I've met my share in several states) are very low profile low key people, who don't have a bigoted bone in their bodies....Although not as low profile, the same thing goes for the sovereign citizen and tax protester movements.

Insofar as the latter are concerned, here are a few sources:

Free Enterprise Society
Freedom Law School | Live Free Now | Freedom Conferences - Home
The GLOBAL SOVEREIGN'S HANDBOOK by Johnny Liberty - freeman non-fiction - Wattpad

10-part video:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK4cEoE7mCM&feature=related]YouTube - John David Van Hove aka Johnny Liberty part 1 of 10[/ame]

Forum List

Back