"The middle class is getting crushed."

"Democrats Peddle Doom, but the Middle Class Never Had It So Good
Former Vice President Joe Biden recently declared, "The middle class is getting crushed. And the working class has no way up."

Sen. Bernie Sanders stews that President Donald Trump's policies have brought "handouts for billionaires and hunger for the poor."

Mayor Pete Buttigieg claims that many working families are struggling so much financially they don't have enough income to be able to "afford a two-bedroom apartment."

The Washington Post says that Americans are awash in debt they can't repay.

4. "...well over half of all Americans own stock through 401(k) plans and other retirement savings. When the Dow Jones rises by 10,000 points in three years, it isn't just Warren Buffett who feels the wealth effect.

This past year, median family income adjusted for inflation rose to $66,000 for the first time ever. Think about that. In 90% of the world, an income of $66,000 is rich, rich, rich. The average household income in China -- which is our major challenger for global supremacy -- is less than $15,000. That's less than one-fourth of the level in America. There is an old saying that is true now more than ever: If you have to be poor, America is a good place to be poor."
Democrats Peddle Doom, but the Middle Class Never Had It So Good

Actually, the middle class IS getting crushed, and have been progressively so since the late 70s. When I was a kid, both parents didn't work, in fact, it was an embarrassment if a guy's wife had to work to help support the family. And now we are getting crushed by healthcare which used to be fully paid for by employers now paid for by employees---- with no pay raise! Instead of a small copayment, you now buy into a plan where you must pay hundreds of dollars out of every pay, then pay a huge deductible.

To just make the equivalent of the "minimum wage" of the late 70s, today you need to earn about $13/hour.

That's not an economic problem
That's a social problem
Bunch of women that wanted to be men.

Former Vice President Joe Biden recently declared, "The middle class is getting crushed. And the working class has no way up."

Sen. Bernie Sanders stews that President Donald Trump's policies have brought "handouts for billionaires and hunger for the poor."

Mayor Pete Buttigieg claims that many working families are struggling so much financially they don't have enough income to be able to "afford a two-bedroom apartment."

4. "...well over half of all Americans own stock through 401(k) plans and other retirement savings. When the Dow Jones rises by 10,000 points in three years, it isn't just Warren Buffett who feels the wealth effect.

This past year, median family income adjusted for inflation rose to $66,000 for the first time ever. Think about that. In 90% of the world, an income of $66,000 is rich, rich, rich. The average household income in China -- which is our major challenger for global supremacy -- is less than $15,000. That's less than one-fourth of the level in America. There is an old saying that is true now more than ever: If you have to be poor, America is a good place to be poor."

Actually, the middle class IS getting crushed, and have been progressively so since the late 70s. When I was a kid, both parents didn't work, in fact, it was an embarrassment if a guy's wife had to work to help support the family. And now we are getting crushed by healthcare which used to be fully paid for by employers now paid for by employees---- with no pay raise! Instead of a small copayment, you now buy into a plan where you must pay hundreds of dollars out of every pay, then pay a huge deductible.

To just make the equivalent of the "minimum wage" of the late 70s, today you need to earn about $13/hour.

And how many cars did those families have? How many television sets? How big of a house?

You're pining for something that never existed. Families could EASILY make it on one income if they accepted the lifestyle of the 1950's instead of our lives of opulence.

I'm sorry, how did we get on the 1950s? Were you working back then? I know I wasn't. But I was cognizant of the early 60s, and that car was mighty expensive then, as was the TV and house, compared to the income folks made. TVs are much cheaper now, and if folks are living more "opulent" now (I sure ain't), it is largely because of the rise of credit. Everyone is deep in debt. When I was a kid, folks didn't have credit cards, you bought what you could afford or perhaps rarely in the case of needing an appliance, bought it on a time share and made payments to the company. Folks didn't go into debt spending money they didn't have back then because they either didn't have it to spend, or because banks weren't handing out credit left and right.

And how many cars did those families have? How many television sets? How big of a house?

You're pining for something that never existed. Families could EASILY make it on one income if they accepted the lifestyle of the 1950's instead of our lives of opulence.

I'm sorry, how did we get on the 1950s? Were you working back then? I know I wasn't. But I was cognizant of the early 60s, and that car was mighty expensive then, as was the TV and house, compared to the income folks made. TVs are much cheaper now, and if folks are living more "opulent" now (I sure ain't), it is largely because of the rise of credit. Everyone is deep in debt. When I was a kid, folks didn't have credit cards, you bought what you could afford or perhaps rarely in the case of needing an appliance, bought it on a time share and made payments to the company. Folks didn't go into debt spending money they didn't have back then because they either didn't have it to spend, or because banks weren't handing out credit left and right.

"For all of the constant talk about stagnant wages for the middle class since the 1970s, the average middle-income household today has access to technology, entertainment, household appliances and health care that even rich people couldn't buy in the 1960s. The folks at The Heritage Foundation have found that even poor families today are more likely to have access to things like air conditioning, dishwashers, televisions and laptop computers than middle class families did 50 years ago. These are the dividends from our free market capitalist economy."

Everybody!!!

Check this out:

The following are facts about persons defined as "poor" by the Census Bureau, taken from various government reports:
Forty-three percent of all poor households actually own their own homes. The average home owned by persons classified as poor by the Census Bureau is a three-bedroom house with one-and-a-half baths, a garage, and a porch or patio.
  • Eighty percent of poor households have air conditioning. By contrast, in 1970, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning.
  • Only 6 percent of poor households are overcrowded. More than two-thirds have more than two rooms per person.
  • The average poor American has more living space than the average individual living in Paris, London, Vienna, Athens, and other cities throughout Europe. (These comparisons are to the average citizens in foreign countries, not to those classified as poor.)
  • Nearly three-quarters of poor households own a car; 31 percent own two or more cars.
  • Ninety-seven percent of poor households have a color television; over half own two or more color televisions.
  • Seventy-eight percent have a VCR or DVD player; 62 percent have cable or satellite TV reception.
  • Eighty-nine percent own microwave ovens, more than half have a stereo, and more than a third have an automatic dishwasher.
As a group, America's poor are far from being chronically undernourished. The average consumption of protein, vitamins, and minerals is virtually the same for poor and middle-class children and, in most cases, is well above recommended norms. Poor children actually consume more meat than do higher-income children and have average protein intakes 100 percent above recommended levels. Most poor children today are, in fact, supernourished and grow up to be, on average, one inch taller and 10 pounds heavier than the GIs who stormed the beaches of Normandy in World War II. How Poor Are America's Poor? Examining the "Plague" of Poverty in America

So the standard of living for the middle class is stratospherically higher now than it was then. In fact, even on one average income the standard of living would be substantially better.

For all of the constant talk about stagnant wages for the middle class since the 1970s, the average middle-income household today has access to technology, entertainment, household appliances and health care that even rich people couldn't buy in the 1960s.
Gee, there's an insight: you couldn't buy a smartphone or flatscreen LED TV in the 1960s. o_O
If people have more AC, dishwashers and computers today, it is only because not only does the cost of technology come down over time making it more widely available, but that is the normal trend of everything. Even a pickup today comes loaded like a luxury vehicle instead of the utility vehicle it once was, whether you want it or not. None of that changes the fact that workers are getting crushed today by spiraling debt and social expectations. There are plenty of poor today, just that the definition has CHANGED, evolved over time. It's no longer normal for folks to go out back to the outhouse or have to go down to the creek to wash their clothes.

For all of the constant talk about stagnant wages for the middle class since the 1970s, the average middle-income household today has access to technology, entertainment, household appliances and health care that even rich people couldn't buy in the 1960s.
Gee, there's an insight: you couldn't buy a smartphone or flatscreen LED TV in the 1960s. o_O
If people have more AC, dishwashers and computers today, it is only because not only does the cost of technology come down over time making it more widely available, but that is the normal trend of everything. Even a pickup today comes loaded like a luxury vehicle instead of the utility vehicle it once was, whether you want it or not. None of that changes the fact that workers are getting crushed today by spiraling debt and social expectations. There are plenty of poor today, just that the definition has CHANGED, evolved over time. It's no longer normal for folks to go out back to the outhouse or have to go down to the creek to wash their clothes.

"There are plenty of poor today, just that the definition has CHANGED, evolved over time. "

It has been changed from the Dickensian understanding....real poverty: no home, no heat, no food....to the version Democrats need the simple-minded to imagine so they can continue with their vote-buying scheme, welfare.

BTW...do you know what the government claims is the determination for 'poverty'?

"There are plenty of poor today, just that the definition has CHANGED, evolved over time. "

It has been changed from the Dickensian understanding....real poverty: no home, no heat, no food....to the version Democrats need the simple-minded to imagine so they can continue with their vote-buying scheme, welfare.

BTW...do you know what the government claims is the determination for 'poverty'?

Nope. No poverty in America.

san_francisco_homeless_tents.jpg

homeless-615x461.jpg

donald-trump-blasts-california-governor-gavin-newsom-for-states-homelessness-crisis-daily-mail-9.jpg

You know, I'm a hard core conservative, but I really often wonder why many on the right refuse to see what is plainly evident right under their nose!

View attachment 297584
View attachment 297585
View attachment 297586

You know, I'm a hard core conservative, but I really often wonder why many on the right refuse to see what is plainly evident right under their nose!

Conservative???

Sometimes you appear more a dunce, as you don't read very well.

If you read my post #11, you would have seen this:

1. As proven by the stats of the Trump economy, the middle class is not getting crushed.
In fact.....there are no...that's zero....poor folks in this country.
Any number that fits the definition...no home, no heat, no food....is nothing more than a rounding error and due to mental illness and/or addiction.

That isn't what is generally meant when accounting for 'poverty.'

And it sure isn't what the $22 trillion we've spent on 'poverty' was aimed at.

Welfare...that $22 trillion is Democrats buying votes.

Other than the result of addiction and mental illness....there is no poverty.

Oh....and this: the Democrats closed the mental hospitals.....there's the cause of most of what you pictured.

Conservative???
I read wonderfully when there is anything of substance there to read. Funny how when pressed many of you so alleged rightwingers end up going for the ad hominem just as the left. I'm not right wing, I'm a conservative. But I'm not blind to the world, neither.

Conservative???
I read wonderfully when there is anything of substance there to read. Funny how when pressed many of you so alleged rightwingers end up going for the ad hominem just as the left. I'm not right wing, I'm a conservative. But I'm not blind to the world, neither.

"Funny how when pressed many of you so alleged rightwingers end up going for the ad hominem ..."

I'm never pressed,....and I like doing it, perhaps because I'm so good at it.

You may consider me as Karma.....and this is the Karma Cafe....

Welcome to the karma cafe....there are no menus but you will get what you deserve

One more time for the dunces who don't read well....outside of the mentally ill and the addicts......

.....there is no real poverty in America.

Sure you are pressed. When you come down to the Left's level, that makes you no better than them!

As to being good, your opinion of yourself. I find you one of the least engaging people here to read. Too wordy, poorly organized, highly predictable and never open to self-examination.

Sure you are pressed. When you come down to the Left's level, that makes you no better than them!

As to being good, your opinion of yourself. I find you one of the least engaging people here to read. Too wordy, poorly organized, highly predictable and never open to self-examination.

Wow.....you're doing your best to avoid the fact that you ignored what I wrote in post #11.

Good to see I've wounded you deeply....more were that came from.....and you've mounted this flaccid attack: "...I find you one of the least engaging people here to read. Too wordy, poorly organized, highly predictable and never open to self-examination."

You're simply too dumb to realize that you posting about a dozen times in this thread alone, obviates that 'attack.'

You couldn't dispute what I wrote here:
Any number that fits the definition...no home, no heat, no food....is nothing more than a rounding error and due to mental illness and/or addiction.

Nor this....
the Democrats closed the mental hospitals.....there's the cause of most of what you pictured.

Nor do you know the answer to this:

In short.....you bring nothing to the table, and when you leave, you'll be the only one who knows it.

What’s that you’re muttering? “Must-defend-self…”

Wow.....you're doing your best to avoid the fact that you ignored what I wrote in post #11.

Good to see I've wounded you deeply....more were that came from.....and you've mounted this flaccid attack: "...
You're simply too dumb to realize that you posting about a dozen times in this thread alone, obviates that 'attack.'
Huh? I'm not ignoring anything, it simply is WRONG. I won't waste my breath having an argument with you I've always had. I don't play your games.
I was going to tell you that your heart is in the right place, but I see now in your continued schoolyard rants that I overestimated you. Idiots like you are why many on the left think what they do of the right. You're a polarizer, much like many of them are, no better, you think everything is black and white. All or nothing. You err just as much to the one extreme as they do to the other rather than seek the actual truth. Your entire identity of self-worth is based on values no better in the end. "Wounded me?" :21: You FLATTER yourself. When it comes down to it, you are just as quick to resort to the same kind of cheap lowbrow bullshit talk as them. You have no light in you, no illumination, nothing worth reading here. Your entire life is wrapped up in writing your hate-filled social media rants that some handful of people feed on. So off with you into the dust bin you go with a handful of other "conservative" derelicts I've put on ignore.

You could attempt to be....but you wouldn't succeed.

I think you had too much to dream last night, PC. Wake up. You're talking to the champ now. You're not talking to one of these other wingnuts who can't reason beyond the distortion they're fed.

The only question is whether I feel like it or not. What I feel is to be had by it. At the moment I'm merely humored by your commentary here.

You misspelled chump.....you're welcome.

Good to see I've wounded you deeply....more were that came from.....and you've mounted this flaccid attack: "...
Huh? I'm not ignoring anything, it simply is WRONG. I won't waste my breath having an argument with you I've always had. I don't play your games.
I was going to tell you that your heart is in the right place, but I see now in your continued schoolyard rants that I overestimated you. Idiots like you are why many on the left think what they do of the right. You're a polarizer, much like many of them are, no better, you think everything is black and white. All or nothing. You err just as much to the one extreme as they do to the other rather than seek the actual truth. Your entire identity of self-worth is based on values no better in the end. "Wounded me?" :21: You FLATTER yourself. When it comes down to it, you are just as quick to resort to the same kind of cheap lowbrow bullshit talk as them. You have no light in you, no illumination, nothing worth reading here. Your entire life is wrapped up in writing your hate-filled social media rants that some handful of people feed on. So off with you into the dust bin you go with a handful of other "conservative" derelicts I've put on ignore.

"Huh? I'm not ignoring anything, it simply is WRONG."

I'm never wrong.

b2575_chart2600px.jpg

Air Conditioning, Cable TV, and an Xbox: What is Poverty in the United States Today?

View attachment 297584
View attachment 297585
View attachment 297586

Funny how the poor seem to congregate in dem cities.

Being poor in America means something totally different than being poor in the rest of the world.
Mid class Jamaicans would kill to live the life of the poor in America.

Forum List

Back