The Longest Day

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
There is a certain cemetery where some of my closest friends in the division lie. I saw it grow -- shattered bodies lying there waiting for graves to be dug. Now it is filled. The graves are neat and trim, each with its cross. Occasionally I visit it when passing by. Always there are flowers on the graves: Sometimes a potted geranium has been newly brought in; sometimes there is a handful of daisies. The French people, especially the children, seem to have charged themselves with this little attention. Our bombers are roaring overhead just now, in the hazy afterglow of sunset. In a few seconds I'll hear the crunch of bombs -- a good-night kiss for the Nazis. There they go!

The war news is good; but we're fighting over optimism. I suppose people at home are elated; the boys up front are still in their fox-holes.

I'll try to write at least a note every day or so. Take care of yourself. I'm fine.

Love,
John
American Experience | D-Day | Letters from the Front

Executive Mansion,
Washington, Nov. 21, 1864.

Dear Madam,--

I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle.

I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save.

I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,

A. Lincoln

On this day June 6th 1944 thousands of Americans gave up their lives for their nation in defense of liberty. All those who came before us on whos shoulders we all stand and still serve this great nation and still those who pay with the greatest gifr please take a moment if you will to say thank you. While I frequently am at odds with President Obama I have great respect for his honoring those heros today and he has my admiration for doing do.

Forum List

Back