The Life Of An Alcoholic

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
.... from one perspective....

- when you are an alcoholic, it's the only thing you look forward to - having your drink(s).....

When you don't have that to look forward to, life is just getting through the day, and unless you have a "substitute" or something to replace that one thing you look forward to, there is not much meaning to life.

Maybe it's possible that for some people, alcohol is the answer for them. Instead of trying to make everyone fit in and be normal.

This can be said of other addictions as well.......

Alcoholics go to meetings, so I'm just a functional drunk.

When you can't function without alcohol, you have a problem that you need help with.

I once worked with a dude who would tremble in the morning until he had a beer.

His coffee cup never had coffee in it.

- when you are an alcoholic, it's the only thing you look forward to - having your drink(s).....

When you don't have that to look forward to, life is just getting through the day, and unless you have a "substitute" or something to replace that one thing you look forward to, there is not much meaning to life.

Maybe it's possible that for some people, alcohol is the answer for them. Instead of trying to make everyone fit in and be normal.

I think that's totally normal, Bonzi. I've talked to people trying to quit smoking before who have said the same or similar things. I've heard people say that they usually smoke during coffee breaks at work and looked forward to it, and now they don't know what to do with themselves. I think after some time, that boredom and feeling as if something is missing from your day will subside. Keep your chin up. Stick with it! :)

If one is an alcoholic,more is never the correct route ever.It will only lead to more problems and death at some point.

When you can't function without alcohol, you have a problem that you need help with.

I think that is a very important thing for some people to have support when they are trying to give up a habit like that. It helps you feel less "alone in the world" and know that other people know what you're going through, are also going through it or have been through it. That helps in a lot of cases, I think.

Making some connections with others who have the same issues that would probably be very helpful to get over the rough spots.

Vanilla I use for cookies is 41% alcohol. Just saying. If ever hard up it's basically strong vanilla schnapps.

I'm an alcoholic and look forward to going to the bar every day. I just don't drink. I haven't wanted to for 27 years

Congratulations, Ernie. That's great. Alcoholism killed my dad. He was 54 when he passed away from cirrhosis of the liver. He was a very heavy drinker. I don't think I've ever known anyone that drank as much or as often as my dad. He had no will to quit at all either.

I am an addiction counselor

This is where addiction doesn't care who you are, what party that you belong to,or how rich you are.

Whatever the addiction, it starts in the reward center of the brain, releasing feel good hormones into the body.
Meth releases the most feel good hormones so it brings the person down the fastest.

Food,shopping , drugs alcohol, gambling, sports, smoking ect. all reward us .

A fat person judging a drunk or a smoker do not realize that they have an addiction too, visa versa.

A rehap, or a support group like AA, feeds the brain with tools to help, because the brain has changed, relapse can happen anytime for the rest of their life's.

I think that is a very important thing for some people to have support when they are trying to give up a habit like that. It helps you feel less "alone in the world" and know that other people know what you're going through, are also going through it or have been through it. That helps in a lot of cases, I think.

Making some connections with others who have the same issues that would probably be very helpful to get over the rough spots.
Support is essential,Alcohol is very addictive and destructive,both mentally and physically,there are many places to get help,but when the rubber meets the road,the drinker has to walk the walk,nobody can do that for them.

This is where addiction doesn't care who you are, what party that you belong to,or how rich you are.

Whatever the addiction, it starts in the reward center of the brain, releasing feel good hormones into the body.
Meth releases the most feel good hormones so it brings the person down the fastest.

A fat person judging a drunk or a smoker do not realize that they have an addiction too, visa versa.

A rehap, or a support group like AA, feeds the brain with tools to help, because the brain has changed, relapse can happen anytime for the rest of their life's.

We need to start treating drug addicts instead of just punishing them.

About alcohol, I was married to an abusive alcohol who had not drunk in almost 30 years. Its very very possible to be a dry drunk - have all the behaviors of a wet drunk while supposedly sober.

I don't find meetings helpful. People can't solve your problems, and I don't need a shoulder to cry on.
Drinking is fun and makes you feel good -
Counseling also is no good unless you are willing to put in the work.....

You can have a PHYSICAL addiction to alcohol -
You can also have a PSYCHOLOGICAL addiction - very different things.

I view my addiction more like a divorce from someone you really love......

I think that's totally normal, Bonzi. I've talked to people trying to quit smoking before who have said the same or similar things. I've heard people say that they usually smoke during coffee breaks at work and looked forward to it, and now they don't know what to do with themselves. I think after some time, that boredom and feeling as if something is missing from your day will subside. Keep your chin up. Stick with it! :)

I was like that with smoking also, but, seemed different some how.....
I think with age, as the things you enjoy in life get taken away, depression sets in.
It's a state of mind, I understand, but, you have to have the fight and the will......

I appreciate your kind and encouraging words however, very sweet....

If one is an alcoholic,more is never the correct route ever.It will only lead to more problems and death at some point.

Understood. But a boring mundane life fighting off temptation is better?

About alcohol, I was married to an abusive alcohol who had not drunk in almost 30 years. Its very very possible to be a dry drunk - have all the behaviors of a wet drunk while supposedly sober.
They must be help accountable for any stupid shit they my have done,but yes treatment,no one sets out to become an addict.

I'm an alcoholic and look forward to going to the bar every day. I just don't drink. I haven't wanted to for 27 years

I feel that way about cigarettes. I don't mind being around people that smoke, smell doesn't bother me and I'm never tempted......

I was not even an alcoholic for long, but I resent that I became one and now can't have any at all.... especially this late in life.....

You lived it and would know what a dry drunk is, unwilling to change can be just as destructive as an active alcoholic.

Vanilla I use for cookies is 41% alcohol. Just saying. If ever hard up it's basically strong vanilla schnapps.

you're such a good influence! dang Delta!

I feel that way about cigarettes. I don't mind being around people that smoke, smell doesn't bother me and I'm never tempted......

I was not even an alcoholic for long, but I resent that I became one and now can't have any at all.... especially this late in life.....

:bye1: Good for you Bonzi, people find recovery in many ways, if it works for you keep doing it!

Forum List

Back