Zone1 The "Lake of Fire" (Hell) is temporary, punitive, purifying, & restorative

sigh...

2 Timothy 3:16-17

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God[a] may be complete, equipped for every good work.
There's no reason to sigh. It's a fact that the authors of the books of the bible were men. That is the starting point for the discussion. The importance of that cannot be overstated.

My interpretation is that we are supposed to live Godly lives and to do his will so that when it is our time, he will welcome us into his heavenly kingdom. The man that was thrown out of the party was not worthy and so he was cast out.
Mine is that it is a parable highlighting the difference between redemption and salvation. Everyone was invited (redeemed) but not everyone meets the criteria for staying (salvation).

That is your go to move hen you are shown your error.
Godly people can have different interpretations regarding scripture. I don't get angry with them if they don't share mine. I think it's a really bad thing when believers argue with one another over "legalize" and then become unpleasant with one another. I try to avoid that. Sometimes that means turning the cheek.

2 Timothy 2:23-24 ESV​

Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil,

My interpretation is that we are supposed to live Godly lives and to do his will so that when it is our time, he will welcome us into his heavenly kingdom. The man that was thrown out of the party was not worthy and so he was cast out.
So not everyone achieves salvation? Because that seems to go against what you have been saying.

So not everyone achieves salvation? Because that seems to go against what you have been saying.
My understanding, based on the scriptures, is that ungodly people don't get to go to Heaven and instead go to the other place. However, in the end, they will have been purified and will join us in God's kingdom on Earth.

By the way, every Christian should remain cognizant of Matthew 7:21-23 because even some believers WILL be going to Hell. We certainly see many Christians in this forum who exude hatred and hostility toward their brothers and sisters. Undoubtedly many believers will be in need of correction through fire (so to speak) as they have not faithfully followed Jesus's commandments. As Jesus once asked, "If you love me, why don't you obey me"?

Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.

Mine is that it is a parable highlighting the difference between redemption and salvation. Everyone was invited (redeemed) but not everyone meets the criteria for staying (salvation).
I think you are also correct. Thanks for sharing.

I would say written by men, inspired by the Holy Spirit.
I went with "God" because that's why 2 Timothy said but I presume God inspired the authors as the Holy Spirit.

My understanding, based on the scriptures, is that ungodly people don't get to go to Heaven and instead go to the other place. However, in the end, they will have been purified and will join us in God's kingdom on Earth.

By the way, every Christian should remain cognizant of Matthew 7:21-23 because even some believers WILL be going to Hell. We certainly see many Christians in this forum who exude hatred and hostility toward their brothers and sisters. Undoubtedly many believers will be in need of correction through fire (so to speak) as they have not faithfully followed Jesus's commandments. As Jesus once asked, "If you love me, why don't you obey me"?

Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.
That sounds similar to purgatory.

Not everyone is saved from Hell but ALL are saved from eternal death.

That sounds similar to purgatory.
It does. However, unlike the RCC, scripture doesn't tell us that one can buy their way out of Hell by giving money to a church.

It does. However, unlike the RCC, scripture doesn't tell us that one can buy their way out of Hell by giving money to a church.
I'm not sure that's what they say nor would I believe it would necessarily work if they did. But who knows? With God anything is possible.

Oh, so you do believe that ALL people will, in the end, be with God?
No. I don't. If I did, I wouldn't need to worry for my soul. Christ redeemed us. Which offers us the chance at salvation. Whether we justify salvation or not, we have still been redeemed.

I'd be lying if I told you I understood the Trinity. It's a mystery.
I don't claim to understand it either.

I have an analogy but I don't know if it's accurate. Imagine that you create a video game with various characters in the game. And then you create a character to represent you and which you control that will be IN the game. I think that's how God works through his "alter-egos" of Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

I'm not sure that's what they say nor would I believe it would necessarily work if they did. But who knows? With God anything is possible.
Many protestants claim that praying for the dead is fruitless but they can't know that to be true. I have prayed for passed loved ones in order to ask God to forgive, heal, and accept them. God is love. I'm convinced that God listens to our prayers and intercedes.

I don't claim to understand it either.

I have an analogy but I don't know if it's accurate. Imagine that you create a video game with various characters in the game. And then you create a character to represent you and which you control that will be IN the game. I think that's how God works through his "alter-egos" of Jesus and the Holy Spirit.
I think it's a mystery that can't be solved. Here's a cute video on it.

Forum List

Back