The Labyrinth House

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
A geometric pattern of square-shaped rooms connected by rhombus-shaped circulation areas forms House in Hokusetsu, Osaka, by Japanese firm Tato Architects.

Tato Archiects, led by architect Yo Shimada, designed the house for a family who wanted an interesting and dynamic home that makes it easier to spend time together.
House in Hokusetsu by Tato Architects is designed as a labyrinth

Doorways disguised as mirrors, secret corners, moving walls and yurt-shaped rooms feature in these four elaborate London townhouses that architect Peter Salter has been crafting for the last 13 years.
Peter Salter creates labyrinthine London townhouses

I like the concept of Labyrinth houses but I have a hard time liking the one by Tato Architects. I like the Peter Salter's townhouses slightly more but I really don't like the materials used.

A geometric pattern of square-shaped rooms connected by rhombus-shaped circulation areas forms House in Hokusetsu, Osaka, by Japanese firm Tato Architects.

Tato Archiects, led by architect Yo Shimada, designed the house for a family who wanted an interesting and dynamic home that makes it easier to spend time together.

Doorways disguised as mirrors, secret corners, moving walls and yurt-shaped rooms feature in these four elaborate London townhouses that architect Peter Salter has been crafting for the last 13 years.

I like the concept of Labyrinth houses but I have a hard time liking the one by Tato Architects. I like the Peter Salter's townhouses slightly more but I really don't like the materials used.

It's an eyesore of useless wasted space.

I've always liked the idea of this kind of thing. I would want a little less modern looking home, but still cool stuff. I would want a castle type house but not too castle looking, lots of stone.

In fact, I was just telling the better half a while back that if we build instead of buy after I sell this house I have now that I wanna have some secret rooms. True story.

Cool stuff, though. Good thread, Disir, I always say you have the best threads. They're always interesting reads.

I've always liked the idea of this kind of thing. I would want a little less modern looking home, but still cool stuff. I would want a castle type house but not too castle looking, lots of stone.

In fact, I was just telling the better half a while back that if we build instead of buy after I sell this house I have now that I wanna have some secret rooms. True story.

Cool stuff, though. Good thread, Disir, I always say you have the best threads. They're always interesting reads.

It's a foolish design the model of inefficiency that maximizes exterior wall area thereby increasing heat loss in the winter and additional cooling costs in the summer. It might look novel, but living there, you'd soon tire of all the work you had to do just to get around the house for every little simple thing, especially if you were over 50, the most likely kind of person able to afford it.

I agree with the stone. Secret sliding doors, secret rooms.

Thanks!

It's an eyesore of useless wasted space.
The House in Hokusetsu is definitely an eyesore.

th

A repairmans nightmare.

*****SCARY CHUCKLE*****

:eek-52:

However at $200-$500 an hour plus materials it could be the opposite.

Forum List

Back