The kids know more than we think

You guys bitch about everything.

They don't teach "The Dewey Decimal System." or "Latin."
And, NO More Dodgeball.

We are raising a bunch of pussies who can't even dodge a ball.
Let alone throw or catch a ball.
We had a Dewey Decimal System organized home library and Dodgeball was to die for. Chicken Fights! All well studied. Could've taken Latin, but alas.. no. Some day I may grow up and get a smart phone so I can start catching up with my kids.. nah.

I guess I should have better clarified my question. Do they actually use it, I mean? I know the Greek and Cyrillic alphabets have a cursive form, but is it actually widely used or just for signatures like ours?
As inessential there as it is here.

A high percentage.

When did they stop teaching Latin?​

In the first half of the 20th century, Latin was taught in approximately 25% of schools. However, from the 1960s, universities gradually began to abandon Latin as an entry requirement for Medicine and Law degrees.

So you consider that a 'high percentage'?
Or is the number incorrect?

When did they stop teaching Latin?​

In the first half of the 20th century, Latin was taught in approximately 25% of schools. However, from the 1960s, universities gradually began to abandon Latin as an entry requirement for Medicine and Law degrees.

So you consider that a 'high percentage'?
Or is the number incorrect?
Those percentages were of schools that required Latin. Today, it is an option as a foreign language.

1637446927510.png

So what?

Stenographers do not have to retain the subject matter.

guess the point went right over yer head.

point being: the fact remains one should still learn & know cursive because it will never be completely outdated.

guess the point went right over yer head.

point being: the fact remains one should still learn & know cursive because it will never be completely outdated.
Which is what I have been saying all along because taking notes by hand in cursive is the best method for retention.

Kids today don't have sense enough to pound sand in a G-- D--- rathole!

This was my mothers favorite saying 50+ years ago when I was in school, and I hear a lot of this same garbage from the (so called) adults of today. Don't bet on it folks. Kids today know more than we think. They're very aware of the deep divisions in our country, the problems we face, and obstacles that make problem solving so difficult. They do their best to tune it out though, and retreat into their little worlds of their friends and fun, knowing full well that in a few short years they'll be inserted on to the treadmill of adult life. Don't deceive yourselves, the vast majority of them will be able to handle it; they're not as weak or dumb as you might think, and when you're in the twilight of your life, wondering what lies beyond the grave you'll soon occupy, they'll be running the world....
Terrific summary I can sing right along t&at the kids that have taught us a thing or two about covid...

Patience... positivity endless grace..

Then they become teenagers.... arggvhhh..

Actually kids today are generally fat and lazy and spend their time pushing electronic figures around in useless video games. They ain't got a clue about what's going on until they get mugged while they are focused on their electronic gizmo.

These kids are easily the dumbest generation in American history. Little do they know, they will suffer because of their stupidity.
A few years ago, I offered to show a kid around here how to read a slide rule. She was around 15 years old I think. I showed her the C/D scales for multiplication/division explaining that a 2 could equal .2, 2, 20, 200, etc., and you would have thought it was calculus. She didn't get it at all and said thank god for calculators that just GIVE her the answer.

Forum List

Back