The Justice Act: Democrats slammed the door in a black man's face, and ultimately betrayed one of their key constituencies

YOU HAVE TO HAVE A VIABLE PIECE OF LEGISLATION TO DEBATE. THIS PIECE OF GARBAGE IS NOT DEBATABLE.

That wasn't for you, or for Democrats to decide. They wanted policing legislation and flatly rejected any attempts at negotiating a compromise with the other side. None of them sought input from Republicans in their bill to begin with. What's to say it's just as garbage as you claim the Republican bill is?

It is a viable piece of legislation. As Scott said, it wasn't so much Democrats disagreed with the contents of the bill, it was who was introducing it.

THROW IT OUT, START OVER IN COMMITTEE, AND BRING A BI-PARTISAN BILL TO THE FLOOR.

Burning question:

Why do Democrats expect their bill to pass without bipartisan support, but on the other hand never consider bipartisanship in order to pass the Republican bill?

In what universe is this not a double standard?

You can't expect bipartisanship when you refuse to communicate with the other side. And I have observed that Republicans were kind enough to put a great majority of the things they (the Democrats) wanted in the legislation. Democrats? They ignored the Republicans completely when it came to crafting theirs.

Last edited:
YOU HAVE TO HAVE A VIABLE PIECE OF LEGISLATION TO DEBATE. THIS PIECE OF GARBAGE IS NOT DEBATABLE.

That wasn't for you, or for Democrats to decide. They wanted policing legislation and flatly rejected any attempts at negotiating a compromise with the other side. None of them sought input from Republicans in their bill to begin with. What's to say it's just as garbage as you claim the Republican bill is?

It is a viable piece of legislation. As Scott said, it wasn't so much Democrats disagreed with the contents of the bill, it was who was introducing it.

A BAD BILL WAS TO GO TO THE FLOOR, WHICH COULD NOT BE DEBATED, AMENDED OR PASSED.

If they intended to create a viable bill, they would have invited Democrats to help write it. Democrats have offered to participate, and Republicans have refused their requests.

Democrats have offered to participate, and Republicans have refused their requests.

Democrats came up with legislation before the Republicans did. Oh, yes they did. They never once consulted Republicans.

So, how can you ever expect bipartisanship from one party when the other is unwilling to accept their input?

THROW IT OUT, START OVER IN COMMITTEE, AND BRING A BI-PARTISAN BILL TO THE FLOOR.

Burning question:

Why do Democrats expect their bill to pass without bipartisan support, but on the other hand never consider bipartisanship in order to pass the Republican bill?

In what universe is this not a double standard?

You can't expect bipartisanship when you refuse to communicate with the other side. And I have observed that Republicans were kind enough to put a great majority of the things they (the Democrats) wanted in the legislation. Democrats? They ignored the Republicans completely when it came to crafting theirs.

The Democrats are offering Republicans opportunities at every level to give their input, and give consideration to their amendments. Democrats in both the House and the Senate are reaching out to Republicans to work with them, unlike McConnell who rebuffed every attempt by Democrats to participate in the process.

Democrats learned their lessons on McConnell's games, when he pulled a similar tactic on the Senate Corona Virus funding bill. Telling Democrats to vote the bill to the floor for debate. Then voting down every single one of their proposed amendments. Pelosi basically re-negotiated the entire bill to get money in it for the people, for the states, and for testing. Fool me once, shame on you, Democrats were not about to be fooled twice with this tactic.

When are YOU going to stop believing the Republican lies?

Let me give you a lesson... Democrats control the house... Best way to pass a bill is for the Democrats to write the bill consult with the GOP (especially Senate), amend, and pass it... OR GOP do same visa versa but they are more interested in the Democratic Congress...

The problem, professor, is that the Democrats didn't bother to consult Republicans on the construction of their bill. Republicans offered to work with Democrats to reach a compromise on the Justice Act, and Democrats refused to allow debate. Debate allows for amendments and changes, on a bipartisan level. Still Democrats refused.
Why would we work with those racist, tRump supporting, criminals? They haven't even attempted to work with us.

See, that's why we never get anything productive done. Ever. Such a childish approach to solving our country's greatest problems.
Many of them will be gone soon, then things will happen.

E
It doesn't do anything to address the problems. It's just an attempt to be able to say they "did something" when they didn't.

Have you even read the bill? Or were you convinced it would do nothing before it was drafted?
Both, actually.

Why do I get the feeling you're lying?
Because it goes against your bias. It would, after all, mean I'm better informed than you and you just can't handle that no matter how true it is.

Any more silly questions?

Any more silly questions?

I'd prefer it if you didn't lecture me about my biases. If at all possible. Your words below.

Let me give you a lesson... Democrats control the house... Best way to pass a bill is for the Democrats to write the bill consult with the GOP (especially Senate), amend, and pass it... OR GOP do same visa versa but they are more interested in the Democratic Congress...

The problem, professor, is that the Democrats didn't bother to consult Republicans on the construction of their bill. Republicans offered to work with Democrats to reach a compromise on the Justice Act, and Democrats refused to allow debate. Debate allows for amendments and changes, on a bipartisan level. Still Democrats refused.
Why would we work with those racist, tRump supporting, criminals? They haven't even attempted to work with us.
Your point being I have biases too?

Never said I didn't, captain obvious.

The bill is a stunt. Instead of taking it to the committee where both parties could have worked out the details and presented a bipartisin bill, he took it directly to the floor where he knew it would fail. He didn't present a bill. He presented what would become talking points. A political stunt.

How is it a stunt when it has 80% of what Democrats want in it? Are you really that butthurt about qualified immunity?

Why don't you want the cops to be obligated to follow the law?

Oh, I do, but it seems to me your concerns have nothing to do with police "following the law" and more with lessening their influence in our society.

Ironic you would demand cops obey the law, if people would simply obey the law, we wouldn't be having this discussion, would we?

What a silly thing to write. That is so goofy till I'm at a loss as to how to respond. You should reread your posts before you click that "Post reply" button. It can save you from sounding like such an idiot.

What a silly thing to write. That is so goofy till I'm at a loss as to how to respond. You should reread your posts before you click that "Post reply" button. It can save you from sounding like such an idiot.

Checking posts before hitting the "post" button is good advice for all of us, of course. If you look at Kormac's postings closely, you will find a near complete absence of grammar and orthography bloopers otherwise prevalent on these pages, which to me indicates he's checking his postings carefully. It still doesn't seem to slow down the production of idiocy in any discernible way.

The bill is a stunt. Instead of taking it to the committee where both parties could have worked out the details and presented a bipartisin bill, he took it directly to the floor where he knew it would fail. He didn't present a bill. He presented what would become talking points. A political stunt.

How is it a stunt when it has 80% of what Democrats want in it? Are you really that butthurt about qualified immunity?

Why don't you want the cops to be obligated to follow the law?

Oh, I do, but it seems to me your concerns have nothing to do with police "following the law" and more with lessening their influence in our society.

Ironic you would demand cops obey the law, if people would simply obey the law, we wouldn't be having this discussion, would we?

Police should have NO influence on society. Their role is to "serve and protect". Instead we have entire segments of society which live in fear of the police. As a child, I was taught to ask a policeman if I was lost or separated from my parents. They're here to help.

Black people fear the police. Middle class blacks will leave packages on their front porch if Amazon drops them off there by mistake, because if a black man or teenager takes that package to his neighbour's house one block away to correct the delivery, they could be shot, if the neighbour doesn't know them, or the police could be called, and there is no way of knowing how that will turn out.

Black communities are living with PTSD because of police brutality. When a black motorist on the highway had a breakdown, and flagged down a cop, he was shot and killed. When a black orderly goes to the aid of a patient, is shot, laying on the ground with his hands up, begging the police "don't shoot". The police should not be "influencing" black people to feel like this.

Police are there to keep the peace, not to brutalize the public into fear and compliance.

Forum List

Back