The Jazz World Loses Another Iconic Bassist

toobfreak

Tungsten/Glass Member
Apr 29, 2017
On The Way Home To Earth
Most people outside of the Jazz Rock Fusion era wouldn't know the name of Rick Laird. Born in Ireland, 1941, he began playing music at the age of five and eventually moved to England in the 1960s and became a session bassist for the likes of Brian Auger, Ronnie Scott, Sonny Rollins, Buddy Rich, Stan Getz, Chick Corea, and of course, John McLaughlin. He even played with Judy Garland.

I never thought Rick was the greatest bassist ever, just a very lucky one. In 1971, he was picked to play his frettless S. D. Curlee bass guitar for the iconic fusion band, Mahavishnu Orchestra. And the rest is history. After leaving the band, a few years later, he decided to leave guitar playing altogether after twenty-some years to follow his other passion, photography; Laird was an accomplished photographer.

Rick Laird passed away yesterday, July 4 at the age of 80. Here he is to the far right with the MO band with legends Billy Cobham and Jan Hammer:

laird-mahas-1.jpeg

I've included below a few of his many fine photos he took of other musicians including:

KeithJarrettRichardLairdAG340.jpg
Keith Jarrett

JohnMcLaughinBillyCobhamRichardLairdAG540_medium.jpg
John McLaughlin and Billy Cobham

Wayne_ShorterRchrd_LairdAG540_medium.jpg
Wayne Shorter

ChickCoreaRichard_LairdAG469_medium.jpg
Chick Corea (who himself just passed away and whose wife Gale Moran later also played keyboard with the MO band)

MilesDavisRichardLairdAG540_medium.jpg
and Miles Davis.

RIP, Rick. Hopefully you are flying high now with your birds of fire somewhere far, far away between nothingness and eternity.

All the old jazz grades will eventually pass. But there are still some good new cats out there.

What a great set. What is that based off of high harmonic minor with a flat 6 raise 7? It reminds me of that return to forever type vibe. Or maybe chick corea's album. The one with the knights on the front of it with a sword. I forgot the album name. They use some of those modes in it. But that was a great set. Thanks for sharing it.

Forum List

Back