The Honeymooners original series

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
To my surprise, the whole series is available on YouTube. And for some reason - no ads while you watch them.
If you search "Honeymooners" - the first one that pops up is the "channel" that shows them.

Of course I have seen the Honeymooners before, I mean who hasn't?
Jackie Gleason is a master of facial expressions. There would be no show without it.
Art Carney in an interview said "Gleason is 90% of the entertainment, we just follow along"
Anyhow... for those who loke the show - thought I would let you know you can watch the whole series, commercial free on Youtube.

I've read recently that Gleason refused to rehearse for the shows. He felt it took away some spontaneity that he wanted. Or maybe he was just lazy. The other cast members rehearsed with a stand-in for Jackie. Looking back, the writers did a great job. It had a similar vibe to Amos 'n Andy.

I've read recently that Gleason refused to rehearse for the shows. He felt it took away some spontaneity that he wanted. Or maybe he was just lazy. The other cast members rehearsed with a stand-in for Jackie. Looking back, the writers did a great job. It had a similar vibe to Amos 'n Andy.
That is true, much to the chagrin of the other actors as Gleason was said to regularly forget his lines and improvise making it difficult for Carney and Audrey Meadows to follow up.
You can see this in the show, when Gleason will say something, and the other actor hesitates and is forced to improvise an answer.
Despite that, they did very well as Gleason abhorred retakes, expecting others to keep the act going even if someone screws up.

I know that it was one of the hit shows back in the day but it is excruciating for me to watch it now. To me none of the slapstick yelling and stupidity was ever very funny. Kinda like I love Lucy and other shows from back then.

I know, I have to turn in my Boomer card, don't I?

To my surprise, the whole series is available on YouTube. And for some reason - no ads while you watch them.
If you search "Honeymooners" - the first one that pops up is the "channel" that shows them.

Jackie Gleason is a master of facial expressions. There would be no show without it.
Art Carney in an interview said "Gleason is 90% of the entertainment, we just follow along"
Anyhow... for those who loke the show - thought I would let you know you can watch the whole series, commercial free on Youtube.
last week the ol lady sent me for a pizza. the girl asked how big? and i answered "the biggest you got.

by the time mrs rampart was done with me for wasting food and money all i could say was

"NORTON, I'VE GOT A BIG MOUTH?"

art carney was a master of physical comedy. much better than when they replaced him with barney rubble.

I know that it was one of the hit shows back in the day but it is excruciating for me to watch it now. To me none of the slapstick yelling and stupidity was ever very funny. Kinda like I love Lucy and other shows from back then.

I know, I have to turn in my Boomer card, don't I?
I never liked I Love Lucy, and always thought Desi Arnes was a terrible actor. Comically bad actor.
I always liked Honeymooners, the marriage between Gleason/Carney is akin to Knotts and Andy Griffith.
And although "Alice" was way-way-way too beautiful to ever be Ralph's wife - it couldn't have been anyone else.

Side factoid - the network wanted to do another year, but Gleason stunned everyone when he refused stating the show has run it's course, there isn't anything else we can show that wouldn't cheapen what we made.

I never liked I Love Lucy, and always thought Desi Arnes was a terrible actor. Comically bad actor.
I always liked Honeymooners, the marriage between Gleason/Carney is akin to Knotts and Andy Griffith.
And although "Alice" was way-way-way too beautiful to ever be Ralph's wife - it couldn't have been anyone else.

Side factoid - the network wanted to do another year, but Gleason stunned everyone when he refused stating the show has run it's course, there isn't anything else we can show that wouldn't cheapen what we made.
gleason had a variety show that would occasionally do a honeymooners skit. i thought he was hilarious.

gleason had a variety show that would occasionally do a honeymooners skit. i thought he was hilarious.
Gleason sadly typified the 1950s-60s male actors of the day.
Living the "mad men" lifestyle of heavy drinking, heavy smoking, heavy eating and "I'll sleep when I'm dead" mentality. Despite being a 5 pack a day smoker and famous eating habits - he lived to be 71. Probably would have lived to be 90 if not for his lifestyle

I never heard of the show.

Was it any good?

Gleason sadly typified the 1950s-60s male actors of the day.
Living the "mad men" lifestyle of heavy drinking, heavy smoking, heavy eating and "I'll sleep when I'm dead" mentality. Despite being a 5 pack a day smoker and famous eating habits - he lived to be 71. Probably would have lived to be 90 if not for his lifestyle
i call that the "rat pack generation." the playboy philosophy. etc. we boomers get a bad rap sometimes

Forum List

Back