The Guy Was Black

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Bet you didn't know that.

I just loved reading as a kid, but especially these books.

Today would be Dumas' birthday.

"Alexandre Dumas, père, (born July 24, 1802, Villers-Cotterêts, Aisne, France—died December 5, 1870, Puys, near Dieppe), one of the most prolific and most popular French authors of the 19th century. Without ever attaining indisputable literary merit, Dumas succeeded in gaining a great reputation first as a dramatist and then as a historical novelist, especially for such works as The Count of Monte Cristo and The Three Musketeers. His memoirs, which, with a mixture of candour, mendacity, and boastfulness, recount the events of his extraordinary life, also provide a unique insight into French literary life during the Romantic period. He was the father (père) of the dramatist and novelist Alexandre Dumas, called Dumas fils.

Dumas’s father, Thomas-Alexandre Davy de La Pailleterie—born out of wedlock to the marquis de La Pailleterie and Marie Cessette Dumas, a black slave of Santo Domingo—was a common soldier under the ancien régime who assumed the name Dumas in 1786. He later became a general in Napoleon’s army. "
Britannica.com

"Alexandre Dumas, père, (born July 24, 1802, Villers-Cotterêts, Aisne, France—died December 5, 1870, Puys, near Dieppe), one of the most prolific and most popular French authors of the 19th century. Without ever attaining indisputable literary merit, Dumas succeeded in gaining a great reputation first as a dramatist and then as a historical novelist, especially for such works as The Count of Monte Cristo and The Three Musketeers. His memoirs, which, with a mixture of candour, mendacity, and boastfulness, recount the events of his extraordinary life, also provide a unique insight into French literary life during the Romantic period. He was the father (père) of the dramatist and novelist Alexandre Dumas, called Dumas fils.

Dumas’s father, Thomas-Alexandre Davy de La Pailleterie—born out of wedlock to the marquis de La Pailleterie and Marie Cessette Dumas, a black slave of Santo Domingo—was a common soldier under the ancien régime who assumed the name Dumas in 1786. He later became a general in Napoleon’s army. "
Britannica.com

Yeah, I read The Count Of Monte Cristo twice as well. :auiqs.jpg:

At least. It helped form my political stance. :cool:

Britannica.com

i did not know that. interesting. nice to see that he was able to get published, despite, racism.

Britannica.com

That deserves a medal!!!

I had trouble at first passing up books that looked too long.....so I forced myself to go to the library and find the fattest book....and it was The Count Of Monte Cristo!

Britannica.com

That deserves a medal!!!

I had trouble at first passing up books that looked too long.....so I forced myself to go to the library and find the fattest book....and it was The Count Of Monte Cristo!

The first book I bought with my own money was Stoker's DRACULA. It was pretty fat for an eight-year-old.

We should remember that Black people in Europe do not necessarily think and act like African Americans, who have a very unique history (AKA slavery).

I have read, for example, that African immigrants to the United States are astonished by how some African Americans act.

Britannica.com
wtf does race have to do with it?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Britannica.com

I have not read the books although I do know of him and his works. Two things that I recall though, at the prison, believe it or not, we had a convict named Alexander Dumas. One day I had call to take his ID and I saw his name and saw that it was Alexander Dumas, and did a double take, and he looked at me and said, drop it. Don't got there, every joke every pun! I just grinned and said ok. We also had a James Garner, a Little Joe Gomez and Jimmy Stewart.

The other thing I recall is from the Shawshank Redemption where one of the convicts called him Alexander Dumbass! Lol

Last edited:

Britannica.com

I have not read the books although I do know of him and his works. Two things that I recall though, at the prison, believe it or not, we had a convict named Alexander Dumas. One day I had call to take his ID and I saw his name and saw that it was Alexander Dumas, and did a double take, and he looked at me and said, drop it. Don't got there, every joke every pun! I just grinned and said ok. We also had a James Garner, a Little Joe Gomez and Jimmy Stewart.

The other thing I recall is from the Shawshank Redemption where one of the convicts called him Alexander Dumbass! Lol

Did you have a 'Hillary Clinton'?????

We should remember that Black people in Europe do not necessarily think and act like African Americans, who have a very unique history (AKA slavery).

I have read, for example, that African immigrants to the United States are astonished by how some African Americans act.
yep i had some experience with that when i was delivering mail with some Kenyan exchange students...

Britannica.com
How many times have you read "White Fragility" cover to cover???? :th_BlackHelicopter:

Britannica.com
How many times have you read "White Fragility" cover to cover???? :th_BlackHelicopter:

How many times have you read the Constitution?

Please articulate a point.

Britannica.com

Did you have a 'Hillary Clinton'?????
No it was all males.

Forum List

Back