The General Welfare Clause - Correct Your Ignorance Here

For the assistance of the pretend 'constitutionalists', they should look at the words: sharp differences of opinion have persisted as to the true interpretation of the phrase, and they should remember it next time they pretend they KNOW what the Constitution says.

what arrogrance you have. not everyone has a degree in constitutional law, but instead of teaching you demean.. does that make you feel superior? or what?

it's not arrogance to point out that the creeps who claim they KNOW what the constitution says don't know what they're talking about.

I make no claims to knowing all of the answers. I wouldn't presume to claim the expertise or certainty that the pretend constitutionalists do.

so who is it who's arrogant? :eusa_whistle:

This is for all the folks who babble on about James Madison whenever the general welfare clause turns up in conversation.

If you want to discuss actual, practical, real world law, and not what you wish was the law in your fanciful fantasy land, I'd suggest you familiarized yourself with a Supreme Court case called U.S. v Butler (1936). In the majority opinion, Republican appointed Justice Roberts rejects Madison's view on the general welfare clause and adopts Hamilton's view.
Since the foundation of the Nation, sharp differences of opinion have persisted as to the true interpretation of the phrase. Madison asserted it amounted to no more than a reference to the other powers enumerated in the subsequent clauses of the same section; that, as the United States is a government of limited and enumerated powers, the grant of power to tax and spend for the general national welfare must be confined to the enumerated legislative fields committed to the Congress. In this view, the phrase is mere tautology, for taxation and appropriation are, or may be, necessary incidents of the exercise of any of the enumerated legislative powers. Hamilton, on the other hand, maintained the clause confers a power separate and distinct from those later enumerated, is not restricted in meaning by the grant of them, and Congress consequently has a substantive power to tax and to appropriate, [p66] limited only by the requirement that it shall be exercised to provide for the general welfare of the United States. Each contention has had the support of those whose views are entitled to weight. This court has noticed the question, but has never found it necessary to decide which is the true construction. Mr. Justice Story, in his Commentaries, espouses the Hamiltonian position. [n12] We shall not review the writings of public men and commentators or discuss the legislative practice. Study of all these leads us to conclude that the reading advocated by Mr. Justice Story is the correct one. While, therefore, the power to tax is not unlimited, its confines are set in the clause which confers it, and not in those of § 8 which bestow and define the legislative powers of the Congress. It results that the power of Congress to authorize expenditure of public moneys for public purposes is not limited by the direct grants of legislative power found in the Constitution.

United States v. Butler

That is the actual, binding, practical law that is being applied and that is the reality of it. Sorry if you don't like it, but Madison's views on the GW clause are not legally relevant

He spoke to me in a dream and said you were full of shit

In your dreams is about the only place where Madison's interpretation has any relevance at all.

Not to mention the fact that if constitutional scholars can't agree, then how can people who don't even know what constitutional construction is or understand the effect of us being a common law country think THEY have the answers?

i respectfully disagree jillian. constitutional scholars are not always right, nor are they all knowing. i don't believe the constitution was written in such a manner that only those who study it and subsequent case law, are capable of understanding its meaning. i don't believe the founders wanted this country to be ruled, or laws decided by, only scholars of the law.

I agree. Who said that the only person who has a right to interpret the constitution or have any opinion about exist with the federal judiciary? Some people are acting like no one should have an opinion about the document that was created by the people.

Anyone, even a citizen of another country can interpret what the constitution means. But the constitution gives the SCOTUS (and other inferior courts) the sole legal right to interpret it. United States v Butler is that interpretation.

The clause specifies that general welfare of the United States which refers to the federal government itself so all taxes have to be laid to go to that government. They might have referred to the official federal government because they did not want tax revenue to go to the states since the first taxes were tariffs only which the states collected. They might have wanted that revenue to go straight to the federal government and put that clause in there to ensure states collecting it did not keep it for themselves.

No State shall, without the Consent of the Congress, lay any Imposts or Duties on Imports or Exports, except what may be absolutely necessary for executing it's inspection Laws: and the net Produce of all Duties and Imposts, laid by any State on Imports or Exports, shall be for the Use of the Treasury of the United States; and all such Laws shall be subject to the Revision and Controul of the Congress.

i respectfully disagree jillian. constitutional scholars are not always right, nor are they all knowing. i don't believe the constitution was written in such a manner that only those who study it and subsequent case law, are capable of understanding its meaning. i don't believe the founders wanted this country to be ruled, or laws decided by, only scholars of the law.

I agree. Who said that the only person who has a right to interpret the constitution or have any opinion about exist with the federal judiciary? Some people are acting like no one should have an opinion about the document that was created by the people.

Anyone, even a citizen of another country can interpret what the constitution means. But the constitution gives the SCOTUS (and other inferior courts) the sole legal right to interpret it. United States v Butler is that interpretation.

The word interpret means "I have an opinion about what this means" so yes everyone has a right to interpret the constitution. I know I have no power over it since I am not a member of the court system but when other people say that SCOTUS opinion is correct simply because they are SCOTUS is wrong.

The clause specifies that general welfare of the United States which refers to the federal government itself so all taxes have to be laid to go to that government. They might have referred to the official federal government because they did not want tax revenue to go to the states since the first taxes were tariffs only which the states collected. They might have wanted that revenue to go straight to the federal government and put that clause in there to ensure states collecting it did not keep it for themselves.

No State shall, without the Consent of the Congress, lay any Imposts or Duties on Imports or Exports, except what may be absolutely necessary for executing it's inspection Laws: and the net Produce of all Duties and Imposts, laid by any State on Imports or Exports, shall be for the Use of the Treasury of the United States; and all such Laws shall be subject to the Revision and Controul of the Congress.

Its so nice of you to back me up. It says all import duties that one state applies to another are to be sent directly to the federal government which is what the general welfare clause says. All taxes are to collected for the general welfare of the United States which refers to the United States government not the people of the United States.

Its so nice of you to back me up. It says all import duties that one state applies to another are to be sent directly to the federal government which is what the general welfare clause says. All taxes are to collected for the general welfare of the United States which refers to the United States government not the people of the United States.

Its referring to imports. Those come from other countries, not other states.

For the assistance of the pretend 'constitutionalists', they should look at the words: sharp differences of opinion have persisted as to the true interpretation of the phrase, and they should remember it next time they pretend they KNOW what the Constitution says.

what arrogrance you have. not everyone has a degree in constitutional law, but instead of teaching you demean.. does that make you feel superior? or what?

Poor baby.

crybaby.jpg

Its referring to imports. Those come from other countries, not other states.

It does not specify but it doesn't take much to realize it was talking about any imports applied to its borders with other state but even tthen it says 'shall be used for the treasury of the United States'.

. It results that the power of Congress to authorize expenditure of public moneys for public purposes is not limited by the direct grants of legislative power found in the Constitution.

Public money is money collected by the government via taxes and fees.

Forcing me to spend my money on a product such as health insurance is not a use of public moneys.

Now if the government levied a new tax on everyone for the specific intention of funding health care, that would be another thing all together and there would be no discussion of the constitutionality of it because that type of tax falls within the enumerated powers of the federal government.

Forum List

Back