The first step in requiring immigrants to assimilate is….

Learned English "in a matter of months". Probably not. Learned enough to to get by? I believe that. Comprehension? A whole different ballgame. My post had exceptions because people can't be placed in a box. They will not learn the language in your time. They will learn it in their own time because everything needs attention. It is all new. There are all kinds of reasons beyond a head injury that Spanish speaking people (like every other language) don't learn it as quickly.

Don't get it twisted. I am not in favor of illegal aliens or an open border. I strongly believe that you don't need to treat people like shit.
Yes - I was speaking of children. They learn a new language in a matter of months.

If adults decide to come to this country because its culture and laws offer opportunities they could not have back home, then they need to either learn the basics of a English before they come, or have bi-lingual people within their own community here translate for them. That’s how it was always done in the past. They shouldn’t expect Americans to foot the bill to translate material back into their native language.

It is to the detriment of all Americans when systems are set up to allow immigrants to never have to learn the language of their chosen country.

I agree. On the reservation Native American languages should be co-equal with English.
And in the neighborhoods of Sioux Falls, the nearest sizable town to me, ALL of the Lakota dialects, as well as Ethiopian, Somali, Spanish, German, Swedish and Norwegian, must be co-equal :laughing0301: with English, and printed on all public signs. Might as well throw in some Tagalog, Chinese, Vietnamese, Laotian and Hindi.

That's going to make those quick lane changes on the interstate a little confusing, for sure.

Just wondering why someone who’s accumulated 2/3 the posts I have in less than 1.5 years, would have anything to say about my output in ~12.5.
It's not illegal for you to wonder.

konradv If it's illegal for me to post a lot, I guess you'd better call the cops.

I'll unlock the front door and put on a pot of coffee, and let you know when they get here.

In what way?
For the reasons that I listed. English is one of the hardest languages to learn. Things like should have, would have, could have doesn't exist in some languages and doesn't translate. If you say to someone, I need you to learn the laws NOW and the language NOW then they are literally fighting two things at the same time and it's more of a struggle with expected frustration and possible failure. So, I need you to know the laws NOW.

As an aside:

We had a whole lot of people from Afghanistan brought to the US as refugees real recent. This is not something that I support. Now, you have a real problem. People need to start paying attention to the resettlement programs and the churches that like to sponsor them rather than at liberals. Those languages I have never heard of any document translated in. We can't get good services for our own citizens and you have an additional influx from a country that has been at some type of war for as long as I have been alive. But, I get it. It's so much easier to target a vague group identifiable by the Spanish language.

….for the government to stop translating material explaining taxpayer benefits into Spanish. It takes some last nerve to come to this country, take money from Americans, and then expect a description of the free services you get (paid for by others) to be translated for you (with the translation itself paid for by others).

What law requires immigrants to assemilate?

….for the government to stop translating material explaining taxpayer benefits into Spanish. It takes some last nerve to come to this country, take money from Americans, and then expect a description of the free services you get (paid for by others) to be translated for you (with the translation itself paid for by others).

Bigot

Forum List

Back