The first step in requiring immigrants to assimilate is….

Lisa558

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2021
….for the government to stop translating material explaining taxpayer benefits into Spanish. It takes some last nerve to come to this country, take money from Americans, and then expect a description of the free services you get (paid for by others) to be translated for you (with the translation itself paid for by others).

….for the government to stop translating material explaining taxpayer benefits into Spanish. It takes some last nerve to come to this country, take money from Americans, and then expect a description of the free services you get (paid for by others) to be translated for you (with the translation itself paid for by others).

Spanish is an American language. You can’t discriminate against your own citizens.

Spanish is an American language. You can’t discriminate against your own citizens.
No it’s not. The leftists are MAKING It into an American language by not requiring immigrants to learn the common language of their adopted country. Is it any more an American language than Swahili? Or Yiddish?

No it’s not. The leftists are MAKING It into an American language by not requiring immigrants to learn the common language of their adopted country. Is it any more an American language than Swahili? Or Yiddish?
Puerto Ricans are American citizens and Spanish is co-equal with English in Puerto Rico, so Spanish IS an American language.

Puerto Ricans are American citizens and Spanish is co-equal with English in Puerto Rico, so Spanish IS an American language.
So translate for that population only.

You are weakening America by encouraging millions of people not to be able to understand the majority population. But then again, leftists are all for weakening America.

It also hurts native-born Americans.

Then so is Chinese, Vietnamese, Ukrainian and every other language spoken by U.S. citizens - where do you draw the line for an "American language"?

You questioned my logic, that implies you found a flaw, whether you said so or not.
"And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what the left calls "logic".

I implied?

"whether you said so or not."

So now you're reading my mind.

Woo-woo!

Your turn. We know you HAVE TO remain the center of attention.

"And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what the left calls "logic".

I implied?

"whether you said so or not."

So now you're reading my mind.

Woo-woo!
The “whether you said so or not” is the new approach the leftists take in arguing a point. They claim you intended something, and then argue against what they claim you intended.

They are getting worse and worse by the day. I am counting down the weeks.

No.

If you go to another country you are probably not going to speak that language. It will be pretty limited and most people use slang terms in every day conversation that you are not going to get. You have not had access to someone to become proficient in that language. It takes a couple of years. You will need to learn the laws first so that you don't wind up in a jail cell while people hunt for a translator. We need people that understand the laws and policies before they become proficient.

However, we run into problems if the individual is not literate in their own language. We also run into problems when the culture prevents or refuses to allow the women to learn the language. In fact, sex traffickers like to move women, men and children from location to location and keep them in fear so they don't learn the language or the layout.

There are also significant reasons that people can't learn the language like head injuries, right?

I needed translators. It's more than Spanish speaking. I spoke with a woman that worked 7 days a week in a restaurant. Her children spoke perfect English but didn't speak Chinese. Dad was in China and was not coming back. He had been here illegally. She was absolutely terrified. It got worse because not only did I need a translator but I needed to know that what she spoke was Mandarin. There are 7 "Chinese" languages but really there are over 300 languages in China. She was so alone and her kids could not communicate with her and they were so alone. It was absolute sheer luck that I was able to locate someone as far as service providers that spoke Mandarin and English.

Assimilation works like this and it has worked like this for every group that has come here (except English, Irish etc.) The first people "off the boat" often don't know the language and struggle with learning a whole lot of new everything and they hang on to "the old ways" because it brings them comfort. It used to be that these people would open up grocery stores, bakeries and butchers that catered to their country of origin. Their children went to school and learned perfect English but they also took on the role of translators for their parents. They move between worlds. Their children (the grandchildren) speak English and don't speak the language of their grandparents and are fully assimilated in our culture for the good, the bad and the ugly.

This is true for EVERY group that comes to the US.

Spanish should be a secondary language not co-equal to English
Exactly. Never was this made more more ridiculous than when Spielberg had all this Spanish dialogue in West Side Story, and without subtitles. What type of IDIOT puts out a movie with entire sections that the majority of the population can’t understand?

Answer: A leftist.

Spanish should be a secondary language not co-equal to English
No. Make them learn English.

I worked in a clinic and had a lot of contact with a lot of SE Asian refugees. I was having a conversation with a VietNamese kid who looked about nine years old, who spoke perfect unaccented English. I mentioned that he must have studied hard for a lot of years in VietNam to get his English so perfect, and he informed me that he never spoke English until he got here, six months previously.

Children soak up knowledge so quickly. Why can't every "immigrant" (cough) just have a kid with them to interpret English signs?

After all, those kids aren't getting all the free education for no reason.

No.

If you go to another country you are probably not going to speak that language. It will be pretty limited and most people use slang terms in every day conversation that you are not going to get. You have not had access to someone to become proficient in that language. It takes a couple of years. You will need to learn the laws first so that you don't wind up in a jail cell while people hunt for a translator. We need people that understand the laws and policies before they become proficient.

However, we run into problems if the individual is not literate in their own language. We also run into problems when the culture prevents or refuses to allow the women to learn the language. In fact, sex traffickers like to move women, men and children from location to location and keep them in fear so they don't learn the language or the layout.

There are also significant reasons that people can't learn the language like head injuries, right?

I needed translators. I spoke with a woman that worked 7 days a week in a restaurant. Her children spoke perfect English but didn't speak Chinese. Dad was in China and was not coming back. He had been here illegally. She was absolutely terrified. It got worse because not only did I need a translator but I needed to know that what she spoke was Mandarin. There are 7 "Chinese" languages but really there are over 300 languages in China. She was so alone and her kids could not communicate with her and they were so alone. It was absolute sheer luck that I was able to locate someone as far as service providers that spoke Mandarin and English.

Assimilation works like this and it has worked like this for every group that has come here (except English, Irish etc.) The first people "off the boat" often don't know the language and struggle with learning a whole lot of new everything and they hang on to "the old ways" because it brings them comfort. It used to be that these people would open up grocery stores, bakeries and butchers that catered to their country of origin. Their children went to school and learned perfect English but they also took on the role of translators for their parents. They move between worlds. Their children (the grandchildren) speak English and don't speak the language of their grandparents and are fully assimilated in our culture for the good, the bad and the ugly.

This is true for EVERY group that comes to the US.
Yes. That’s how it was for my grandparents when they first arrived. Their children learned the language within months, and they translated for the parents for the couple of years it took the parents to catch up.

They sure didn’t expect American taxpayers to translate everything for them into Yiddish, though.

And your post had exceptions - like can’t learn the language because of head injuries. In those rare instances, where there is a legitimate reason for not being able to learn the language, they get translators under American with Disabilities Act. But we have adults here for more than a decade (!) who never learn English, and we make it so they don’t have to: press 2 for Spanish on the phone, press 2 for Spanish at the ATM, etc.

You come to a country whose culture and opportunities you admire….well, then learn the language. If my grandparents and great grandparents could do it, so can Spanish-speaking people.

Exactly. Never was this made more more ridiculous than when Spielberg had all this Spanish dialogue in West Side Story, and without subtitles. What type of IDIOT puts out a movie with entire sections that the majority of the population can’t understand?

Answer: A leftist.
I guess he expects everyone to learn spanish

But wait, what about the over 400 other major languages spoken in the US?

Yes. That’s how it was for my grandparents when they first arrived. Their children learned the language within months, and they translated for the parents for the couple of years it took the parents to catch up.

They sure didn’t expect American taxpayers to translate everything for them into a Yiddish, though.

And your post had exceptions - like can’t learn the language because I’d head injuries. In those rare instances, where there is a legitimate reason for not being able to learn the language, they get translators under American with Disabilities Act. But we have adults here for more than a decade (!) who never learn English, and we make it so they don’t have to: press 2 for Spanish on the phone, press 2 for Spanish at the ATM, etc.

You come to a country whose culture and opportunities you admire….well, then learn the language. If my grandparents and great grandparents could do it, so can Spanish-speaking people.
I had to study Northern English for two years before I visited there! Especially in Yorkshire, they speak a radically different dialect.

I totally had to give up with one woman in Liverpool. I didn't understand a word and my interpreter wasn't handy.

Forum List

Back