The first GOP debate is in 8 days and....

From the 6 bottom-most candidates, polling-wise, which ones should be in the 08/06 debate?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
...according to RCP, today, July 29th, 2015, circa 9:30 EDT, here are the national nomination polling averages:

RCP GOP nomination 2015-07-029.png

Trump has lead in 5 of the last 6 national polls.

In the upper-tier, we see three candidates whose aggregates are in double digits: Trump, Bush and Walker.

In three of the last four polls, Walker was actually in second place, so when the Monmouth and USAT polls fall from the first 1/3 of July fall out of the statistic, if Walker does very well in the next polls, he may just become the 2nd place candidate.

Also want to note that techinically, statistically, one of those national polls is called an "outlier", and that would be the ABC/WAPO poll that shows Trump at +11, not because it is wrong, but because it is so radically different than all the rest. In the other 5 polls, Trump was at between +2 to +3 (which is within the MoE of any poll), so, the WAPO poll is really bolstering his statistic right now, which is fine. Soon, that poll will also drop out of the statistic and we will see what the future brings.

We see five candidates in the second tier, all between 5.7 (6) and 6.8 (7): Rubio, Huckabee, Carson, Cruz and Paul.

Rubio made it into double digits in one poll out of six, and so did Carson, so there is always a possibility that they could once again become top-tier candidates.

The bottom tier, circa 3% and lower, is comprised of Christie, Kasich, Perry, Santorum, Jindal, Fiorina and Graham.

If these numbers were to hold into next week (and I am not saying that they will hold, just giving a hypothetical), then the other two candidates who would be on the ten man stage would be Christie (3) and Kasich (2.2). Kasich just declared officially on the 21st and has already gone from polling just 1% to 4% in 14 days, so who knows that the next days may bring.

Pataki is not even listed, so I assume he is at less than 0.2. Gilmore announces next month, so obviously, he has no chance.

This means that the guy who won the second highest amount of primary states and delegates in 2012, former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, would not make it into the debate. Not a very fitting thing to do to a guy who racked up 255 Republican delegates, on a shoestring budget to say the least, but rules are rules and sucess in one cycle doesn't guarantee success in the next.

I will remind that even up until January, 1992, then Gov. Bill Clinton (D-AR) was at roughly 3% in DEM nomination polling, where Christie is now, and he went on to become our 42nd president.

I can't blame FOX or any other network for wanting to make a cut-off, for there is no way to have a decent debate for 90 minutes with 15 candidates on the stage. Assuming 4 minutes for question/answer and possible rebuttal (and 6 minutes is probably the more realistic estimate for question / 3 minute response that goes overtime, audience blah-blah and a 30 second rebuttal that also goes overtime), then we are looking at a maximum of 12-13 questions in the first hour, maybe 17 questions total for the entire debate, including introductions and all that jazz. With 15 candidates on the stage, theoretically, each candidate would only get one question and likely, there will be far more than one rebuttal.

So, even with 10, it's going to be a heavy-lift to make sure that each candidate gets fair time.

And I think we all know how much Trump likes to move his mouth.

:D

I suspect that Jim Gilmore will last all of one month and by the time he drops out, just as he did in 2007 going into 2008, people will be asking "Jim who?", so forget him.

And with an aggregate at roughly 0%, I would think that Miss Lindsay will be packing it in soon, too.

Pataki will likely be out by October.

No way for me to get a good read on Fiorina, her poker face is too good.

But Perry and Santorum and Jindal seem very, very dogged to me, I doubt they are going to give up all that easily. So, we could easily still have 13 very dogged candidates all the way until the deep snows of Iowa.

Is there any candidate from the bottom of the pack you think should be in the first debate?

Take the poll. It will be open for 5 days.

...according to RCP, today, July 29th, 2015, circa 9:30 EDT, here are the national nomination polling averages:

View attachment 45965

In the upper-tier, we see three candidates whose aggregates are in double digits: Trump, Bush and Walker.

In three of the last four polls, Walker was actually in second place, so when the Monmouth and USAT polls fall from the first 1/3 of July fall out of the statistic, if Walker does very well in the next polls, he may just become the 2nd place candidate.

Also want to note that techinically, statistically, one of those national polls is called an "outlier", and that would be the ABC/WAPO poll that shows Trump at +11, not because it is wrong, but because it is so radically different than all the rest. In the other 5 polls, Trump was at between +2 to +3 (which is within the MoE of any poll), so, the WAPO poll is really bolstering his statistic right now, which is fine. Soon, that poll will also drop out of the statistic and we will see what the future brings.

We see five candidates in the second tier, all between 5.7 (6) and 6.8 (7): Rubio, Huckabee, Carson, Cruz and Paul.

Rubio made it into double digits in one poll out of six, and so did Carson, so there is always a possibility that they could once again become top-tier candidates.

The bottom tier, circa 3% and lower, is comprised of Christie, Kasich, Perry, Santorum, Jindal, Fiorina and Graham.

If these numbers were to hold into next week (and I am not saying that they will hold, just giving a hypothetical), then the other two candidates who would be on the ten man stage would be Christie (3) and Kasich (2.2). Kasich just declared officially on the 21st and has already gone from polling just 1% to 4% in 14 days, so who knows that the next days may bring.

Pataki is not even listed, so I assume he is at less than 0.2. Gilmore announces next month, so obviously, he has no chance.

This means that the guy who won the second highest amount of primary states and delegates in 2012, former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, would not make it into the debate. Not a very fitting thing to do to a guy who racked up 255 Republican delegates, on a shoestring budget to say the least, but rules are rules and sucess in one cycle doesn't guarantee success in the next.

I will remind that even up until January, 1992, then Gov. Bill Clinton (D-AR) was at roughly 3% in DEM nomination polling, where Christie is now, and he went on to become our 42nd president.

I can't blame FOX or any other network for wanting to make a cut-off, for there is no way to have a decent debate for 90 minutes with 15 candidates on the stage. Assuming 4 minutes for question/answer and possible rebuttal (and 6 minutes is probably the more realistic estimate for question / 3 minute response that goes overtime, audience blah-blah and a 30 second rebuttal that also goes overtime), then we are looking at a maximum of 12-13 questions in the first hour, maybe 17 questions total for the entire debate, including introductions and all that jazz. With 15 candidates on the stage, theoretically, each candidate would only get one question and likely, there will be far more than one rebuttal.

So, even with 10, it's going to be a heavy-lift to make sure that each candidate gets fair time.

I suspect that Jim Gilmore will last all of one month and by the time he drops out, just as he did in 2007 going into 2008, people will be asking "Jim who?", so forget him.

And with an aggregate at roughly 0%, I would think that Miss Lindsay will be packing it in soon, too.

But Perry and Santorum and Jindal seem very, very dogged to me, I doubt they are going to give up all that easily. So, we could easily still have 13 very dogged candidates all the way until the deep snows of Iowa.

Is there any candidate from the bottom of the pack you think should be in the first debate?

There shouldn't be any debates at all.

• Banned

View attachment 45965

Actually, I kind of agree with you about that.

• Banned
Here is a really good object lesson for all of us.

This morning, as is shown in the OP, RCP showed this average for Trump:

rcp-gop-nomination-2015-07-029-png.45965

I also wrote the following this morning:

"In three of the last four polls, Walker was actually in second place, so when the Monmouth and USAT polls fall from the first 1/3 of July fall out of the statistic, if Walker does very well in the next polls, he may just become the 2nd place candidate."

So, this morning, the margin between 2nd place Bush and third place Walker was +2.

RCP just updated their polling page:

RCP GOP nomination 2015-07-029 002.png

Trump's margin has gone UP, to +5.8, but the margin between 2nd place Bush and 3rd place Walker has shrunk down to +0.6.

So, what happened? The top poll is still the same CNN/ORC.

The 6th poll from this morning (Monmouth) fell out of the statistic and that shifted the numbers.

There is no doubt now: among the GOPers, at present, it's a three man race, with everyone else considerably behind. But among those "everybody else"'s are people who could still win a state or two on their own, like Rand Paul, Mike Huckabee, Rick Santorum.

I just want to show how rolling statistics can change the numbers without anything new being added. Deleting an old poll can also make a big difference.

This happened in the great state of Florida in 2012, in late August.

After a slew of polls either showing Romney ever so slightly ahead or the President slightly ahead, a crackpot company named Foster-McCollum/Baydoun released a poll showing Romney almost 15 points ahead of Obama!

See for yourselves:

Google Sheets - create and edit spreadsheets online for free.

Foster-McCollum Baydoun 2012.png

Even Conservatives were shaking their head and saying, uh, no, that is not going to happen. Well, that Romney +15 "skewed" the aggregate for about 3 weeks, and then, when the poll fell out of the statistic, boom, things looked very different.

Just thought to share that about polls and rolling statistics.

Doesn't matter much now anyway, FOX has changed their rules, and the lower tier candidates are going to participate in an earlier debate, with the top 10 being in the prime time debates.

Seems that everyone is going to get some kind of shot at this.

View attachment 45965

I disagree. Debating gives us a better idea than soundbites of prepared speeches. Only problem, it should be fewer than ten. Perhaps two GOP and one for the Democrats. Which reminds me, just when is the debate for the Dems. Waiting for Hillary to come up with talking points?

• Banned

View attachment 45965

I disagree. Debating gives us a better idea than soundbites of prepared speeches. Only problem, it should be fewer than ten. Perhaps two GOP and one for the Democrats. Which reminds me, just when is the debate for the Dems. Waiting for Hillary to come up with talking points?

I believe that 10 refers to the number of people on the stage, not the number of total debates. Not even sure that that number is hard and fast yet...

I chose Senator Graham because he seems to be a moderate with legislative experience. I don't know enough about Governor Pataki to pick him over Mr. Graham. It is really early but I think there are too many candidates for these debates to be effective.
Sorry if I overlooked it in your post but when is the cutoff date for a seat at the first debate? Since one poll can skew the results like that, is the aggregate comprised only of numbers from reputable polling companies and institutions?

View attachment 45965

Out of all the GOP contenders Kasich sounds most rational. Pretty easy among a herd of hyena, but he is actually an adult among 8 year olds.

View attachment 45965

The debates should be between the actual candidates put forth by the parties, not by all the hopefuls who want to be the candidate. This whole primary circus has been nothing but destructive. We need to go back to having the parties select the candidate at the convention.

View attachment 45965

Out of all the GOP contenders Kasich sounds most rational. Pretty easy among a herd of hyena, but he is actually an adult among 8 year olds.
I agree with you about Kasich. He has done a great job in Ohio and has the support of the electorate there. Could deliver an important state for the Republicans as well.

View attachment 45965

The debates should be between the actual candidates put forth by the parties, not by all the hopefuls who want to be the candidate. This whole primary circus has been nothing but destructive. We need to go back to having the parties select the candidate at the convention.

That is so wrong. When you take the voters out of the selection process, the people no longer have a say in who their leaders are.

View attachment 45965

That is so wrong. When you take the voters out of the selection process, the people no longer have a say in who their leaders are.

Of course they have a say. It's called an election. There is nothing in the Constitution which gives them any say in the selection of the candidates. This is nothing but a media fest.

I chose Senator Graham because he seems to be a moderate with legislative experience. I don't know enough about Governor Pataki to pick him over Mr. Graham. It is really early but I think there are too many candidates for these debates to be effective.
Sorry if I overlooked it in your post but when is the cutoff date for a seat at the first debate? Since one poll can skew the results like that, is the aggregate comprised only of numbers from reputable polling companies and institutions?

August 4th, according to FOX.

View attachment 45965

:lol:

There have been a lot of debates in our great Union's history, but televised presidential debates first happened in 1960, with very mixed results:

those who watched the debate thought that Kennedy won.
Those who listened on radio thought that Nixon won.

As far as primary debates go, I don't remember televised primary debates becoming even remotely important until 2007 in the contentious Obama-Clinton battle for the nomination.

Being such a new phenomenon, I think that media outlets are still working out the bugs as to how many, how long and so forth, and above all else, when.

Don't foget, this is also a $$$-making endeavour for the large media outlets.

Hello, and welcome to USMB.

Thanks for your comments.

There have been a lot of debates in our great Union's history, but televised presidential debates first happened in 1960, with very mixed results:

As far as primary debates go, I don't remember televised primary debates becoming even remotely important until 2007 in the contentious Obama-Clinton battle for the nomination.

Being such a new phenomenon, I think that media outlets are still working out the bugs as to how many, how long and so forth, and above all else, when.

Lincoln-Douglas debates
Not a presidential debate, but still a good one if only for the the fact it serves as template for modern debates.

Lincoln-Douglas debates
Not a presidential debate, but still a good one if only for the the fact it serves as template for modern debates.

Indeed.

But how it was reported plays a major role, here.

In 1858, there was no television or radio. Newspapers, which were transported by horse, boat or train, got the news out. And it was a regional event, limited to Illinois, of course.

Forum List

Back