The Fed’s Taper and Market Fealty

Kimura

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2012
Bassano del Grappa
The Fed’s Taper and Market Fealty

The Fed’s announcing the taper was supposed to be an earth-shaking event. But that actually sorta happened last summer when Bernanke first used the “t” word and interest and mortgage rates made an impressive upward march in a short period of time.

From my considerable remove, what was noteworthy about the Fed’s announcement yesterday is how terrified it seems to be of creating an upset. This in and of itself is pretty odd, since other central banks are still engaged in QE and/or aggressive liquidity creation (Japan is going to do even more soon) so as to make the impact of any move by the Fed not that consequential in isolation.

And that’s before you consider the historical evidence that undoing QE did all of…bupkis. As Philip Pilkington writes:

There are two things that are particularly odd about all the tapering talk — two things that are tied up with one another. The first is that there is talk at all. If tapering evidently makes rather little difference to the markets and the economy then why do the press and financial analysts talk about it endlessly? The answer to this is rather simple: it is the nature of the press and wider society to talk about people and institutions that are perceived to wield power…

The second thing that was rather odd about all the tapering talk was the constant reference to the supposed fact that it had never been done before, that we were entering uncharted waters and that it was hard to predict what effect such tapering might have. This was just complete and utter rubbish.

In actual fact, as I noted on FT Alphaville back in April, a far more extreme version of tapering was undertaken by the Japanese central bank (JCB) in early 2006. In this period the central bank didn’t just slow the rate of purchases as the Fed are now doing but instead shrank their balance sheet. And what were the effects? I cannot find any serious effects in the data.

As I noted in that post there was no obvious correlation between QE and inflation or the exchange rate or GDP growth. The shrinking of the JCB’s balance sheet also appears to have had no effect on the stock market which continued to rally until the onset of the financial crisis in late-2007/early-2008.

So, why is no one reporting on this? Surely this should be a worthy news item. Given that barrels upon barrels of ink that are expended daily reflecting on the significance of the taper surely the press should be interested in considering a far more substantial move away from QE. Not really. That would be the equivalent of revealing that the emperor has no clothes.

Now I’ll differ with Pilkington a tad. QE did have some effects, but I doubt NC readers would seem many of them as significant or all that salutary, given where unemployment sits. Unlike Japan, US mortgages are mainly fixed rate but borrowers can refinance freely. The refi boom provided banks with income and some consumers with lower mortgage payments. So this was a prop to bank income and an indirect and not very strong form of stimulus (the banks take a lot out in fees, so the consumer relief was not as great as you might hazard). We also had other behaviors you would not have seen in Japan, such as corporations issuing bonds like crazy and building up large cash hordes, and in many cases buying back their own stock. Oh, and it did encourage private equity firms to rush out and buy a lot of single family homes to rent. We suspect in many cases the results will not be pretty.

But even if the Fed now recognizes that QE wasn’t terribly effective, their desperate signaling to the market that they won’t do anything to rattle it is really unseemly. Income inequality has risen dramatically since the crisis, and using the wealth effect to try to provide some lift to the economy is perverse, an indirect entrenchment of this aspect of a bad status quo. The Fed seems reluctant to recognize that low interest rates no longer provides much stimulus to the economy because the housing model, which was the main transmission channel in past recoveries, is broken (See Matt Stoller’s Fordham Fordham Urban Law Journal article, The Housing Crash and the End of American Citizenship, for a long-from discussion). Low household formation, high debt levels among the young (and student debt as senior debt!), distrust of housing (rational given predatory servicing and undue emphasis on “housing as an investment”) and ironically, the success of the “prop up housing prices” effort limiting affordability all contributed to the limited impact of QE (not that I am certain it would have worked even then; the Bank of Japan was first to experiment in the late 1980s with using the wealth effect to boost consumption, and we know how that movie ended).

The Fed also weirdly never seemed to get that banks aren’t lending primarily because there is little demand for loans among small businesses (they borrow to exploit opportunities, which are few in the new normal, unless you are in a countercyclical enterprise) and because banking has become so concentrated. The central bank has happily allowed banks to become fewer and bigger even before the crisis. But megabank run their branches like stores, and allow manager little discretion. That means they don’t engage in character-based lending and aren’t able to use local market intelligence to inform small business lending decision. The result is that they’ve pretty much ceded that business to community banks and credit unions, but they aren’t as big a channel as in the old days when there was more diversity in banking and the bigger banks had some participation in this sector.

The Fed has undergone a complete reversal since I was a young thing in the finance business. It used to relish the role of taking the punchbowl away. It now seems terrified of even reducing the alcohol level of the brew. This all goes back to Greenspan. My pet theory is he was very much imprinted by the stock market crash of 1987, which was early on his watch, and he got lots of praise for handling it well. He was also obsesses with how stock market prices were formed and apparently set a lot of Fed talent to studying that question. And Bernanke clearly embraced Greenspan’s equity-fixated view. Recall that Bernanke’s famous 2002 speech about deflation, in which he set forth the extreme measures the Fed could use to fight deflation, was triggered by fear that the dot-com bust would trigger deflation. This was an astonishing belief, since the stock market bubble did not involve a significant amount of borrowings and its implosion did not blow back to the financial system.

The final problem is mission creep. The Fed has abandoned its independence (despite its claims to the contrary; an independent Fed would stay silent on matters like Social Security and budget policy) and has also unwisely allowed itself to be seen as the possible savior of the economy, when any heroic efforts should be made thorough government programs, not unaccountable central bank initiatives. But since Greenspan, the Fed enjoys its Oz-like image, even if it had deployed its stage-magical powers to fight chimeras.

The Fed's Taper and Market Fealty | naked capitalism

I'd like to thank Dr. Bernanke for grossly inflating the value of my stock portfolio.

Money printing is awesome!

Next year will be a year of selling.

I certainly hope investors don't take Mr. Smith's comments about the Nikkei to heart. It's a false analogy.

"The Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System and the Federal Open Market Committee shall maintain long run growth of the monetary and credit aggregates commensurate with the economy's long run potential to increase production, so as to promote effectively the goals of maximum employment, stable prices and moderate long-term interest rates."

1. Maximum Employment - Employment rates were higher prior to 1913.
2. Stable Prices - Inflation was nearly flat from 1776-1913, since then it has gone up astronomically.
3. Moderate Long Term Interest Rates - Achievable in the short run but it leads to financial bubbles as the Fed creates artificially low rates (witness the recent housing boom) that drive loan demand way over normal levels.

Economies cannot be regulated by central planners for the very simple reason that no entity possesses the absolute knowledge required for producing the desired results.

Ask any economist what the price of sugar should be. In the absence of market forces they will be reduced to guessing that will lead to two potential outcomes. Set it too low and production will diminish, leading to shortages. Too high and there will be over production, it will rot unused in warehouses. Many countries like the U.S.S.R. experienced these very issues when they attempted to control pricing in the market.

In 2006-7 everyone gave credit to the Fed for the boom. Then in early 2009 everyone blamed the Fed for the bust. Now everyone loves the Fed again....they have always loved the Fed at major market tops. :thup:

"The Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System and the Federal Open Market Committee shall maintain long run growth of the monetary and credit aggregates commensurate with the economy's long run potential to increase production, so as to promote effectively the goals of maximum employment, stable prices and moderate long-term interest rates."

2. Stable Prices - Inflation was nearly flat from 1776-1913, since then it has gone up astronomically.
3. Moderate Long Term Interest Rates - Achievable in the short run but it leads to financial bubbles as the Fed creates artificially low rates (witness the recent housing boom) that drive loan demand way over normal levels.

Economies cannot be regulated by central planners for the very simple reason that no entity possesses the absolute knowledge required for producing the desired results.

Ask any economist what the price of sugar should be. In the absence of market forces they will be reduced to guessing that will lead to two potential outcomes. Set it too low and production will diminish, leading to shortages. Too high and there will be over production, it will rot unused in warehouses. Many countries like the U.S.S.R. experienced these very issues when they attempted to control pricing in the market.

Perfect!

Nailed it!

No they weren't. This country actually achieved full employment for the first time during WW2. It was an actually policy which was abandoned.

http://www.nber.org/chapters/c2644.pdf

Again, not the case

800px-US_Historical_Inflation_Ancient.svg.png

Also, under the gold standard, we had panics and depressions every decade in the 19th century all the way into the early 20th century.

There's no such thing as artificially low rates.

We've done orders of magnitude better with a central bank than previous arrangements. Economically, it's not even open to debate.

Last edited:
I disagree that "there is no such thing as artificially low rates". The Fed is gobbling up $85 billion (now down to $75 billion) of the Treasury issue each month. That is artificial. It hurts insurers, savers, pension plans, retirees et.al.

All I know is cutting a stimulus by 10 billion a month when you were at 85 billion a month means nothing... As that number gets closer to 0 stimulus the markets will indeed reflect the otherwise incredibly shitty economy that we all live in outside of mass stimulusvile.

To pretend that 75 billion dollars is not some gigantic number and to suggest that markets should have crashed because of a 10 billion dollar cuts is pure ignorance of the argument against what the Fed has done.

Interest rates are a function of economic growth. They are not immune to the laws of supply and demand.

The Federal Reserve is indirectly responsible for the Tech Bubble and directly responsible for the Housing Bubble. By keeping rates too low, they created artificial booms and subsequent busts. Artificially low interest rates fuels speculation and forces people to take on more risk than they otherwise would. It is a transfer of wealth from savers to borrowers, and it punishes the prudent and rewards the reckless.

The credibility of the economics profession has been damaged by its general inability to see both the Tech Bubble and the Housing Bubble. Bernanke's Humphrey-Hawkins testimony in 2006 saying that high home prices reflected strong fundamentals was the most stark example of the discipline's inability to understand it's limitations.

Interest rates are a function of economic growth. They are not immune to the laws of supply and demand.

The Federal Reserve is indirectly responsible for the Tech Bubble and directly responsible for the Housing Bubble. By keeping rates too low, they created artificial booms and subsequent busts. Artificially low interest rates fuels speculation and forces people to take on more risk than they otherwise would. It is a transfer of wealth from savers to borrowers, and it punishes the prudent and rewards the reckless.

The credibility of the economics profession has been damaged by its general inability to see both the Tech Bubble and the Housing Bubble. Bernanke's Humphrey-Hawkins testimony in 2006 saying that high home prices reflected strong fundamentals was the most stark example of the discipline's inability to understand it's limitations.

Not many people will admit to trillion dollar errors.. OPS!

All I know is cutting a stimulus by 10 billion a month when you were at 85 billion a month means nothing... As that number gets closer to 0 stimulus the markets will indeed reflect the otherwise incredibly shitty economy that we all live in outside of mass stimulusvile.

To pretend that 75 billion dollars is not some gigantic number and to suggest that markets should have crashed because of a 10 billion dollar cuts is pure ignorance of the argument against what the Fed has done.

It's the non-taper taper or taper light!

Where do people learn this type of shit?

:lmao:

Yes, it is kind of amazing.

Then why are these rates not offered to the public? Why give this money to be lended or spent to the uber rich first, why not let everyone refinance their homes and all debt at .02%?

Why have CC debt at 18%??? You could just have it at .00001% through the fed-r? No such thing as too low or rates?

The reason is because you could make more money borrowing and buying assets that gain value, like *houses*!!!! Creating a housing bubble..... Everyone would be borrowing, everyone would be buying chit, prices would go up out of control on anything that gains worth, land, housing....

Where do people learn this type of shit?

:lmao:

Those of is who realize were on a floating fx/non-convertible currency. I also interned at Treasury as a graduate student before I was hired by Unicredit.

Secondly, the Wiksellian rate of interest is demonstrably false. The Austrians never got the memo.

Last edited:
I disagree that "there is no such thing as artificially low rates". The Fed is gobbling up $85 billion (now down to $75 billion) of the Treasury issue each month. That is artificial. It hurts insurers, savers, pension plans, retirees et.al.

Pop Quiz: How does the FED determine interest rates? I'd like an operational a-z if I may be so bold.

Secondly, the FED expanding its balance sheet is the functional equivalent of the Treasury not having issues these securities in the first place.

Last edited:

The tech bubble wasn't caused by "artificial interest rates". Urban legend. Look at the Goldilocks economy. Our trade deficit skyrocketed and there was a public sector surplus.This was a bad idea as far as stock flow consistency. The private sector naturally went into deficit as the public sector was in surplus. Private debt loads increased and housed savings evaporated. This is what caused the bubble. I'm giving you the non-wonk overview. I can send you my PPTs and FRED I data presented at a few conferences this year. I may be heterodox but I'm not an idiot. :)

Last edited:

The tech bubble wasn't caused by "artificial interest rates". Urban legend. Look at the Goldilocks economy. Our trade deficit skyrocketed and there was a public sector surplus.This was a bad idea as far as stock flow consistency. The private sector naturally went into deficit as the public sector was in surplus. Private debt loads increased and housed savings evaporated. This is what caused the bubble. I'm giving you the non-wonk overview. I can send you my PPTs and FRED I data presented at a few conferences this year. I may be heterodox but I'm not an idiot. :)

You certainly are not an idiot.

The Fed was indirectly responsible but wasn't the primary cause of the Tech Bubble. It's important to note that it wasn't just a Technology Bubble. It was a Stock Market Bubble, or at least a Growth Stock Market Bubble. It wasn't just companies like Cisco, which traded at 117x earnings, that were insane, it was also companies like General Electric and Pfizer, which traded at 30x to 40x earnings.

Bubbles generally don't occur when liquidity is tight. Liquidity was loosened when Greenspan cut rates 75 bps in the Fall of 1998 to bail out LTCM. Stocks soared and the Nasdaq tripled in 18 months.

Bubbles also occur when there is a shock. In this case, the shock was the Internet. The Internet is a disruptive technology which caused perceptions to change about many business models, and, as is often the case, led investors to over-estimate returns on equity when making capital allocation decisions. This lead to gross mis-allocation of resources into Talking Sock Puppet companies which the market often capitalized at $1,000,000,000+ though they may have had $5 million in revenues and pipe dreams. Rational expectations theory is only partly right. People are people, subject to human emotions, not automatons expertly calculating volatilities and correlations.

The Fed's role was continuously acting as a backstop to asset markets. They continue to do it today. QE is an extension of this policy. That's why I worry, though maybe I'm wrong.

I'm sympathetic to the Fed's argument that interest rates are a blunt object that can damage the economy and shouldn't be used to prick a bubble. But Greenspan repeatedly said he doubted bubbles existed. And if they did exist, according to The Maestro, the Fed's role was to clean up afterwards. I think that was a grave mistake.

True bubbles are relatively rare. We've had two in a decade. Both occurred when the government was in deficit and surplus. Bubbles are not a direct function of savings of the private or public sectors, though they can have an effect. Over the past 200 years, across various economies and countries, governments have gone into surplus without bubbles ever being created. In fact, stocks tend to do better when governments are in deficit.

The Fed’s announcing the taper ...
1. Maximum Employment - Employment rates were higher prior to 1913...
No they weren't. This country actually achieved full employment for the first time during WW2. It was an actually policy which was abandoned.
http://www.nber.org/chapters/c2644.pdf
...2. Stable Prices - Inflation was nearly flat from 1776-1913, since then it has gone up astronomically...
Again, not the case
800px-US_Historical_Inflation_Ancient.svg.png
Not that this is going to convert any true worshipers at the feet of the Golden Coin, but if we're talking about gold money and were talking about the FOMC, then we need to forget 1913 and think 1933:
emp1820fed.png

You certainly are not an idiot.

Shit. I watch the Carolina game and take a nap and when I wake up a monetary symposium has broken out!

The Fed was indirectly responsible but wasn't the primary cause of the Tech Bubble. It's important to note that it wasn't just a Technology Bubble. It was a Stock Market Bubble, or at least a Growth Stock Market Bubble. It wasn't just companies like Cisco, which traded at 117x earnings, that were insane, it was also companies like General Electric and Pfizer, which traded at 30x to 40x earnings.

Bubbles generally don't occur when liquidity is tight. Liquidity was loosened when Greenspan cut rates 75 bps in the Fall of 1998 to bail out LTCM. Stocks soared and the Nasdaq tripled in 18 months.

As I've said before, bubbles are an inherent part of markets (Keynes' "animal spirits" to Alan Greenspan's "excessive exuberance"). While bubbles are rarer during tight money, so is economic growth, and for the same reasons. I can't blame bubbles on loose money or recommend tight money as a way of dealing with them. Broad monetary policy should not be about bubbles.

That said, margin requirements and the Fed's regulatory authority would be effective medicine for bubbles if a Fed decided to use them, which no Fed has done since Volker.

Bubbles also occur when there is a shock. In this case, the shock was the Internet. The Internet is a disruptive technology which caused perceptions to change about many business models, and, as is often the case, led investors to over-estimate returns on equity when making capital allocation decisions. This lead to gross mis-allocation of resources into Talking Sock Puppet companies which the market often capitalized at $1,000,000,000+ though they may have had $5 million in revenues and pipe dreams. Rational expectations theory is only partly right. People are people, subject to human emotions, not automatons expertly calculating volatilities and correlations.

Agreed. And why again do "smart" people pay seven and eight figure incomes to bozos to make these kinds of calls?

The Fed's role was continuously acting as a backstop to asset markets. They continue to do it today. QE is an extension of this policy. That's why I worry, though maybe I'm wrong.

Just my HO, but it is economic lunacy for the government to try to support asset prices in financial markets. Especially when they feel no responsibility to protect small investors a la the Madoff debacle, or to promote employment.

I'm sympathetic to the Fed's argument that interest rates are a blunt object that can damage the economy and shouldn't be used to prick a bubble. But Greenspan repeatedly said he doubted bubbles existed. And if they did exist, according to The Maestro, the Fed's role was to clean up afterwards. I think that was a grave mistake.

Amen. See above for my thoughts on fighting bubbles.

True bubbles are relatively rare. We've had two in a decade. Both occurred when the government was in deficit and surplus. Bubbles are not a direct function of savings of the private or public sectors, though they can have an effect. Over the past 200 years, across various economies and countries, governments have gone into surplus without bubbles ever being created. In fact, stocks tend to do better when governments are in deficit.

Surprise, surprise! Deficits provide stimulus, stimulus promotes business formation, economic growth, and employment, and, incidentally bubbles. The trick is to isolate the last from the first three.

The tech bubble wasn't caused by "artificial interest rates". Urban legend. Look at the Goldilocks economy. Our trade deficit skyrocketed and there was a public sector surplus.This was a bad idea as far as stock flow consistency. The private sector naturally went into deficit as the public sector was in surplus. Private debt loads increased and housed savings evaporated. This is what caused the bubble.

The circular flow of income accounting identity you're using (S+T+C+M=C+I+G+X) does not say anything about a causal relationship (hence one really good reason it's insufficient as a model for determining policy). An identity statement necessarily does not indicate causality. In a closed economy, saying the private sector went into deficit is identical to saying that the public sector went into surplus. Saying the private sector deficit CAUSED the public sector surplus is not derived or warranted from the sectoral balances identity statement.

Forum List

Back