The Far Left's Perfect Self-Inflicted Storm: Measles, Anti-Vaccs & HIV Geographically Converge

Silhouette

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2013
Well it seems the counterculture purists have shot themselves in the foot.

Measles, highly contagious and very deadly to HIV patients is now beginning to rage to a threshold level for an epidemic at ground zero for HIV patients.

In San Francisco and ritzy parts of LA where yuppies shirked vaccines from viral rumors on the internet from a reaction or two, now looms a double-cocktail of stupid. Their little young ones with grubby fingers and snotty noses are living vectors of something we once thought was in the bag.

Of course MSNBC's Bay Area anchor and LA anchor were dancing around those at the worst risk yesterday. The keywords to hear were "those with compromised immune systems". Why they just won't come out and say HIV patients and save a few lives is beyond me..?

People with HIV will assume "oh, I can just take antibiotics like always". Well, no you can't. And that's because antibiotics don't kill viruses. Measles is a virus; a terrible one if your immune system isn't functioning. From what I've read, if you have a compromised immune response, your organs sort of melt into pustules and then you die.

There's an article about this issue written a few years back by the CDC: Epidemiologic Notes and Reports Measles in HIV-Infected Children United States

People, immunize your kids. HIV patients, well, I don't know what to tell you. Stay away from schools? Public areas? I just don't know..

Last edited:
Anyone who has HIV and is currently under treatment can be vaccinated against measles:

WHO Measles

Given the severe course of measles in patients with advanced HIV infection, measles vaccination should be routinely administered to potentially susceptible, asymptomatic HIV-positive children and adults. Measles vaccination may be considered even in individuals with symptomatic HIV infection, provided that they are not severely immunosuppressed. Where the risk of contracting measles infection is negligible, physicians who are able to monitor CD4 counts in HIV patients receiving antiretroviral treatment may prefer to delay the use of measles vaccine until CD4 counts are above 200. Following measles vaccination, no increased risk of serious adverse events has been demonstrated in HIV-positive compared with HIV-negative children, although lower antibody levels may be found in the former group.

Anyone who has HIV and is currently under treatment can be vaccinated against measles:

WHO Measles

Given the severe course of measles in patients with advanced HIV infection, measles vaccination should be routinely administered to potentially susceptible, asymptomatic HIV-positive children and adults. Measles vaccination may be considered even in individuals with symptomatic HIV infection, provided that they are not severely immunosuppressed. Where the risk of contracting measles infection is negligible, physicians who are able to monitor CD4 counts in HIV patients receiving antiretroviral treatment may prefer to delay the use of measles vaccine until CD4 counts are above 200. Following measles vaccination, no increased risk of serious adverse events has been demonstrated in HIV-positive compared with HIV-negative children, although lower antibody levels may be found in the former group.

Not entirely sure that is true, but maybe the situation has improved since the CDC article linked in the OP?

Patient 6, a 14-year-old with HIV Group IV infection (thrombocytopenia) (3), had acquired HIV as a result of a blood transfusion. He had been immunized with live, attenuated measles vaccine at 15 months and again at 9 years of age. The patient was admitted to a hospital with fever and later developed rash and pneumonia. Measles was serologically confirmed.

Last edited:

Measles, highly contagious and very deadly to HIV patients is now beginning to rage to a threshold level for an epidemic at ground zero for HIV patients.

In San Francisco and ritzy parts of LA where yuppies shirked vaccines from viral rumors on the internet from a reaction or two, now looms a double-cocktail of stupid. Their little young ones with grubby fingers and snotty noses are living vectors of something we once thought was in the bag.

Of course MSNBC's Bay Area anchor and LA anchor were dancing around those at the worst risk yesterday. The keywords to hear were "those with compromised immune systems". Why they just won't come out and say HIV patients and save a few lives is beyond me..?

People with HIV will assume "oh, I can just take antibiotics like always". Well, no you can't. And that's because antibiotics don't kill viruses. Measles is a virus; a terrible one if your immune system isn't functioning. From what I've read, your organs sort of melt into pustules and then you die.

There's an article about this issue written a few years back by the CDC: Epidemiologic Notes and Reports Measles in HIV-Infected Children United States

People, immunize your kids. HIV patients, well, I don't know what to tell you. Stay away from schools? Public areas? I just don't know..

Gosh, have you checked this with Rand Paul?

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Lunacy when it comes to health issues is not monopolized by the far left. It's just that about 99.999999999% of the people I've met or heard talk about being anti-vaccs are card-carrying hippy/yuppy liberal douchbags.

WHO Measles

Not entirely sure that is true, but maybe the situation has improved since the CDC article linked in the OP?

Patient 6, a 14-year-old with HIV Group IV infection (thrombocytopenia) (3), had acquired HIV as a result of a blood transfusion. He had been immunized with live, attenuated measles vaccine at 15 months and again at 9 years of age. The patient was admitted to a hospital with fever and later developed rash and pneumonia. Measles was serologically confirmed.

That article is archived from 1988.

You should get up to date on HIV treatment.

Lunacy when it comes to health issues is not monopolized by the far left. It's just that about 99.999999999% of the people I've met or heard talk about being anti-vaccs are card-carrying hippy/yuppy liberal douchbags.

I had a poll here on USMB- of the 8 people who responded- the only anti-vaccine person labeled him/herself Conservative.

All liberals who voted were pro-vaccine.

I had a poll here on USMB- of the 8 people who responded- the only anti-vaccine person labeled him/herself Conservative.

All liberals who voted were pro-vaccine.

Yabut, RWs are in favor of AIDS because as ignorant as they are, they actually believe its a "gay disease".

People with HIV will assume "oh, I can just take antibiotics like always". Well, no you can't. And that's because antibiotics don't kill viruses. Measles is a virus; a terrible one if your immune system isn't functioning. From what I've read, if you have a compromised immune response, your organs sort of melt into pustules and then you die.

That article was written almost 27 years ago, not "a few years back" as you claim.

That article was written almost 27 years ago, not "a few years back" as you claim.

Its always a good idea to presume that Silhouette has taken great liberties with the facts.

When the article was written, the AIDs epidemic was a fairly quick death sentence for many people.

Now, with modern HIV meds, people with the disease can manage it as a chronic condition but generally their immune system is not compromised as it was in 1988.

Yuppies are past the age of having little kids....

Anybody, from either political wing, who doesn't believe vaccinations are a good idea is wrong. Of course, there may be a tiny amount of people who , for specific medical reasons, shouldn't take them, but over all, they are a great idea. A few rich liberals in a couple of counties in California might not agree, but they are certainly not representative of all liberals in this particular case.

That article is archived from 1988.

You should get up to date on HIV treatment.

Agreed, would 2011 be more to your liking?

Live vaccines are used for MMR and thus may pose risks in immunocompromised patients. In a study of children with HIV infection, however, no severe reactions were documented in 70 HIV-infected children who received MMR vaccines.(87) Moreover, reports suggest that severe disease with pneumonitis is common with measles in HIV-infected children, with a mortality rate of about 30%. One review suggests that vaccination may reduce the mortality rate of measles in HIV-infected children.(88) On that basis, the CDC recommends measles vaccine for all HIV-infected children who are not severely immunosuppressed (with severe immunosuppression defined as a CD4 percentage of <15%) and who lack evidence of measles immunity.(86) As with other vaccines, serologic response may be poor in HIV infection, and children with severe HIV-related immunosuppression should be considered susceptible to measles even if they have received measles vaccine....(86) Immunizations and HIV

Anybody, from either political wing, who doesn't believe vaccinations are a good idea is wrong. Of course, there may be a tiny amount of people who , for specific medical reasons, shouldn't take them, but over all, they are a great idea. A few rich liberals in a couple of counties in California might not agree, but they are certainly not representative of all liberals in this particular case.
A few rich liberals in a couple of counties in California might not agree
we have a group of them here in OC.....and still they said they will take their chances....

A few ..... try a lot with vaccination rates to match Sudan

A few rich liberals in a couple of counties in California might not agree
we have a group of them here in OC.....and still they said they will take their chances....

That's sad, but certainly not the opinion of the majority of the left. Wrong is wrong no matter who it is.

A few ..... try a lot with vaccination rates to match Sudan
I'm aware of a couple of counties in California and a town or two other than them, but do you have info on this being a widespread left wing belief? A small group doesn't represent the whole.

Forum List

Back