The Famous Puritan Exodus As An Organized Migration Was Nothing Remarkable

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
Quote from An Introduction: The Peopling of British North America - Bernard Bailyn

"In the context of the mobility at the time, the famous Puritan exodus -- which, to judge by the weight of subsequent scholarship, must have been a world-historical event -- as an organized migration was nothing remarkable."

and...

"Amid this continuous circulation of people throughout the greater British world, the relocation of religious groups like the Puritans, seeking relief and self-determination, was by no means 'unique in the annals of migration.'"
- Carl Bridenbaugh, Vexed and Troubled Englishmen, 1590 - 1640 (1968)

I'm always surprised at what I find out about my ancestors back in England (and Great Britain). My people (direct descendant), came over in the 1600s. Through marriages I am related to these Puritans and others who were on the Mayflower, people who signed the compact.

I've long been following up on life in England/Britain and how things there informed and molded the colonists.

And especially all the myths surrounding religion and such. It's amazing how little we know (as a people), about our heritage -- my family history.

Could have out this in Books but there is more to follow up on, and post with the history angle(s). Like the Mayflower Compact:

Legacy​

On November 23, 1920, at a commemoration ceremony for the 300th anniversary of the Mayflower landing, then Massachusetts governor Calvin Coolidge, who became the 30th U.S. President a few years later, said the following about the Mayflower Compact:

The compact which they signed was an event of the greatest importance. It was the foundation of liberty based on law and order, and that tradition has been steadily upheld. They drew up a form of government which has been designated as the first real constitution of modern times. It was democratic, an acknowledgment of liberty under law and order and the giving to each person the right to participate in the government, while they promised to be obedient to the laws.

But the really wonderful thing was that they had the power and strength of character to abide by it and live by it from that day to this. Some governments are better than others. But any form of government is better than anarchy, and any attempt to tear down government is an attempt to wreck civilization.[18]

Cousins of early family in the colonies moved/lived 'down south.'

"Blacks did not outnumber whites in the labor force of the tobacco colonies until the 1680s, and thereafter, as the scale of production continued to rise, the dependence on an almost endless supply of black laborers became permanent."

I find these facts truly fascinating. Perspective changes.

Regardless of myths surrounding so-called Puritans, a hundred years after the Mayflower the Founding Fathers thought that freedom of religion was still so important that they addressed it in the first Amendment to the Constitution.

Regardless of myths surrounding so-called Puritans, a hundred years after the Mayflower the Founding Fathers thought that freedom of religion was still so important that they addressed it in the first Amendment to the Constitution.

And the founding generation had such different views of religion than the good old Puritans.

Then we get to our times where people will fight to the death over what 'freedom of religion' actually means.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"

and in other history news...

Chicago antebellum.png

North America: The Historical Geography of a Changing continent. Edited by Robert D. Mitchell and Paul A. Groves {1987)

And the founding generation had such different views of religion than the good old Puritans.

Then we get to our times where people will fight to the death over what 'freedom of religion' actually means.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"
If the Puritan beliefs were a myth how could the founding Fathers have a different view?

The Massachusetts Puritan colonists fared much better than the Chesapeake and West Indies immigrants, and lived a lot longer than the others, who needed a constant flow of colonists just to keep going. Their religious beliefs were a primary contributor to their survival and success.

If the Puritan beliefs were a myth how could the founding Fathers have a different view?
My family roots (direct line), goes back the the time of the Puritans in NA. My family has roots in the founding ear. DO you know how many generations later that is? How many years apart those events are?

Stop being so ignorant of facts.

The Massachusetts Puritan colonists fared much better than the Chesapeake and West Indies immigrants, and lived a lot longer than the others, who needed a constant flow of colonists just to keep going. Their religious beliefs were a primary contributor to their survival and success.
Myth on steroids. Try looking up some facts. Try sharing them too.

And bullshit opinion posing as facts.

Last edited:
Quote from An Introduction: The Peopling of British North America - Bernard Bailyn

"In the context of the mobility at the time, the famous Puritan exodus -- which, to judge by the weight of subsequent scholarship, must have been a world-historical event -- as an organized migration was nothing remarkable."

and...

"Amid this continuous circulation of people throughout the greater British world, the relocation of religious groups like the Puritans, seeking relief and self-determination, was by no means 'unique in the annals of migration.'"
- Carl Bridenbaugh, Vexed and Troubled Englishmen, 1590 - 1640 (1968)

I'm always surprised at what I find out about my ancestors back in England (and Great Britain). My people (direct descendant), came over in the 1600s. Through marriages I am related to these Puritans and others who were on the Mayflower, people who signed the compact.

I've long been following up on life in England/Britain and how things there informed and molded the colonists.

And especially all the myths surrounding religion and such. It's amazing how little we know (as a people), about our heritage -- my family history.
:th_Back_2_Topic_2:

Forum List

Back