The Equal Rights Amendment- Will it Finally Become a Reality?

The goal of "equity " is the equality of outcome. The goals of the Equal Rights Amendment is also the equality of outcome. The goal of equity is not in conflict with the ERA and not a reason to oppose it. You're just playing with words. Policy is what matters

So someone who wastes their life doing drugs and not producing should have the same outcome as a person like me, who followed the rules, got a profession, and contributed to society?

So someone who wastes their life doing drugs and not producing should have the same outcome as a person like me, who followed the rules, got a profession, and contributed to society?
That is a bullshit red herring logical fallacy and I think that even you are smart enough to know it. You're just not honest enough to admit it.
As you point out, the ERA has nothing to do with equal rights. It's also about equal outcomes. So of course it's not in conflict with equity. But actual equal rights are.
I don’t recall saying that the ERA has nothing to do with equality. Infact, the conservatives objection to it is largely based on their fears about equality. Equality means that women will also have added responsibilities and liabilities, like having to serve in the military if there is a draft, and not enjoying the presumption of child custody in a divorce. But I did say, or tried to say, that equality of opportunity and equality of outcome can be complimentary. Equal opportunities may not always be enough to achieve equity because of societal/ systemic barriers ( As YOU pointed out)so steps to ensure equality of outcome build on equal opportunity

I don’t recall saying that the ERA has nothing to do with equality.
You sure like to equivocate! You keep switching it up, using "equality", "equity" and "equal rights" interchangeably. They're not the same things. Given that, your previous comment makes no sense:
The goal of "equity " is the equality of outcome. The goals of the Equal Rights Amendment is also the equality of outcome. The goal of equity is not in conflict with the ERA and not a reason to oppose it. You're just playing with words. Policy is what matters

So, the goal of the ERA is equity (I agree). The goal of equity of not in conflict with the ERA. Duh. What I said was that the ERA is in conflict with equal rights (despite its orwellian name). SO, who's playing with words? The question is whether equity is compatible with equal rights. It isn't. In order to assure equal outcomes, government must assert un-equal rights. You can't really get around that. But I'm sure you'll try.

Infact, the conservatives objection to it is largely based on their fears about equality.
Are you referring to equal rights, or equity? "Equality" is pretty vague.

But I did say, or tried to say, that equality of opportunity and equality of outcome can be complimentary.
"Equal opportunity" is yet another, different, concept. Equal rights do not guarantee equal opportunity, nor equal outcomes.

Again, tasking government with making sure everyone has equitable outcomes, or equal opportunities, contradicts its responsibility for equal protection. This is the tradeoff progressive are pursuing.

Last edited:
That is a bullshit red herring logical fallacy and I think that even you are smart enough to know it. You're just not honest enough to admit it.

I don’t recall saying that the ERA has nothing to do with equality. Infact, the conservatives objection to it is largely based on their fears about equality. Equality means that women will also have added responsibilities and liabilities, like having to serve in the military if there is a draft, and not enjoying the presumption of child custody in a divorce. But I did say, or tried to say, that equality of opportunity and equality of outcome can be complimentary. Equal opportunities may not always be enough to achieve equity because of societal/ systemic barriers ( As YOU pointed out)so steps to ensure equality of outcome build on equal opportunity

it's what the push towards equity is all about, no matter how much you fuck up your life, those who didn't are the suckers that have to cover for them, without thanks, without benefit, without choice.

Forum List

Back