The End of the Coronavirus is nigh

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
Or so some people think. There's a guy named John Mauldin who sends out a weekly newsletter about the economy and investing. He said this in his latst one:

Several months ago, Dr. Mike Roizen began to tell me about an innovative new technology called far-UVC being developed by a company called Healthe. He is on their scientific advisory board. Essentially, it uses a specific wavelength of ultraviolet light to kill microorganisms without hurting humans. I was skeptical because I have always been taught that exposure to ultraviolet light was bad for humans. And for good reason; the ultraviolet light that reaches the earth’s surface is dangerous. But not all ultraviolet light reaches that far. And therein lies a story of innovation and perseverance.

Dr. David Brenner, an Oxford-educated physicist at Columbia who applies quantum mechanics to radiation therapy, had a friend die from a superbug caught in the hospital. He became (my word) obsessed with preventing future superbugs from killing people. (The link to his name will bring you to an impressive list of his publications, lectures, and information.)

We have long known ultraviolet light kills viruses and bacteria. The subway trains in Manhattan are exposed to UVC light every night. Many hospital surgical rooms are also exposed to UVC light, of course while humans are not in them, making them very clean rooms for surgery.

In a 2017 TED talk, Brenner explained why a particular wavelength in the ultraviolet light spectrum would not harm humans but still kill superbugs. In 2016, 700,000 people died from exposure to bacteriological superbugs. At the current path we are on, by 2050, the death toll will be 10 million.

In this talk, he shows why “far-UVC,” ultraviolet light in the spectrum of 222 nanometers (I am told that it is technically 205-222 nanometers) won’t penetrate human skin or eyes but can still kill bacteria and viruses—both on surfaces and in the air.

As it turns out, the sun also produces these particular wavelengths, but our atmosphere’s ozone layer stops them. But that doesn’t mean we can’t produce them here.

It is a pretty convincing talk. But I’m also told that Columbia University officials didn’t want to fund his research as they did not see much practicality or viability. When he was initially talking about it, it defied common knowledge—you know, what everyone knows to be true but sometimes isn’t.

So what does a man in a modern world do to fund his obsession? He starts crowdfunding. Seriously. But as it turns out, you can’t patent a wavelength of light, so now other companies are beginning to pick up on his research. COVID-19 made the need for new approaches readily apparent.

Healthe Lighting is already manufacturing devices that look like airport metal detectors. They kill any virus or bacteria on your body as you walk through. One of the main investors is Stephen Ross, a venture capital and private equity investor, who also has an ownership in the Miami Dolphins. They have installed a form of the technology that filters the air in their indoor training facilities. This is from a Miami Herald report.

Here is an ABC News video of an installation at the iconic Magnolia Bakery in Manhattan (I highly recommend their cupcakes). The Air Force is beginning to test and install far-UVC equipment. Seattle’s Space Needle is using it to market their reopening plan. The company already has over $100 million in backlog orders.

Like any new innovation, there are problems and solutions. Let’s deal with the problems first. Right now, installations are relatively expensive, and production is backlogged. But there is a solution which doesn’t require more research. Within a few months, the company says it will be able to produce simple LEDs that emit the proper wavelength. They will likely be expensive at first, but like anything involving technology and chips, costs will fall quickly, enabling wider use. (Today it would take $20,000 to equip a 2,000 square foot bar. The LEDs will drop that price dramatically.)

COVID-19 is devastating restaurants and bars because people are in such close proximity. But these LEDs will be easy to put on the walls and ceiling, or even in regular light-emitting lamps on each table. When somebody coughs or shouts and unknowingly spreads a virus, the far-UVC light will kill it. Will it be perfect? No, if you are kissing someone with COVID-19 or another virus, you may still catch the bug. The light doesn’t go past your skin or eyes.

And we are not talking just about COVID-19. We are talking about all viruses, including new ones. David Brenner’s vision of killing superbugs in hospitals (which caused 49,000 people to die last year last year in just the US) is in reach.

This is simply amazing. It will usher in a new area of health, saving lives, and significantly improving economic productivity. I know other companies are exploring the same prospect. That’s great; nothing like competition to spur innovation. It’s wonderful news for mankind.

Vaccines are in the works in multiple countries. We know a lot more about testing and treatment of these viruses than we did when COVID-19 first appeared. One assumes that we will be better prepared if and when the next one hits. Or maybe it won't hit, if we can produce inexpensive ways to kill this virus before it creates a pandemic. And the next one to.

A follow-up to the OP:

Far-UVC light (222nm) efficiently and safely inactivates airborne human coronaviruses
Manuela Buonanno, DavidWelch, Igor Shuryak & David J. Brenner✉

A direct approach to limit airborne viral transmissions is to inactivate them within a short time of their production. Germicidal ultraviolet light, typically at 254nm, is effective in this context but, used directly, can be a health hazard to skin and eyes. By contrast, far-UVC light (207–222nm) efficiently kills pathogens potentially without harm to exposed human tissues. We previously demonstrated that 222-nm far-UVC light efficiently kills airborne influenza virus and we extend those studies to explore far-UVC efficacy against airborne human coronaviruses alpha HCoV-229E and beta HCoV-OC43. Low doses of 1.7 and 1.2 mJ/cm2 inactivated 99.9% of aerosolized coronavirus 229E and OC43, respectively.

As all human coronaviruses have similar genomic sizes, far-UVC light would be expected to show similar inactivation efficiency against other human coronaviruses including SARS-CoV-2. Based on the beta-HCoV-OC43 results, continuous far-UVC exposure in occupied public locations at the current regulatory exposure limit (~3 mJ/cm2/hour) would result in ~90% viral inactivation in ~8minutes, 95% in ~11minutes, 99% in ~16minutes and 99.9% inactivation in ~25minutes. Thus while staying within current regulatory dose limits, low-dose-rate far-UVC exposure can potentially safely provide a major reduction in the ambient level of airborne coronaviruses in occupied public locations.

The above is an abstract of a report that the Nature magazine recently published. We're gonna beat this thing.

Of course the end of the corona virus is nigh: The election is only two months away, and the Democrats are terrified of the potential results if they don't reopen the economy and schools.

This story from C-NET gives a more balance assessment ... "Using UV Light to Kill Coronavirus: The Benefits and Risks" --- July 8th, 2020

Too weak of a dose and it won't kill viruses and bacteria ... too strong of a dose and and it will kill the skin ... the trick will be getting the dose just right ... and getting the radiation to where it needs to go ...

The OP is right, we've been using this technology for decades ... but in uninhabited locations ... water bottles in sealed boxes, vacant operating rooms, closed off compartments along a conveyor belt ... what are the long term risks in a work center? ... skin cancer is a reality and quite deadly ... who pays the hospital bills and wrongful death lawsuits ... will it work through clothing? ...

Solar UVC is absorbed by the atmosphere ... where? ... I believe UVB only makes it as far as the ozone layer, bearly 1% of the total atmosphere or 10 mb ... what's the free path length and how do we attenuate this radiation to be effective at 10 feet away and somehow prevent people from getting within five? ... and what happens to the energy contained in this UVC radiation ... this is well above what is considered ionizing radiation, and UVB disassociated O2 molecules forming ozone in layers, like in the upper atmosphere ... ozone at the Earth's surface is considered a dangerous pollutant ... with all our homes, businesses and factories running UVC, maybe the cure will be worse than the disease ...

What will this do to our symbiotic bacteria? ... basic decomposition? ... brewing beer? ... seriously, I'd rather die of Covid-19 than give up my beer drinking ... and I'd rather the occasional glass shard than drink anything else but Sierra Nevada Pale Ale ...

If this is a workable solution ... we would have been using it for the seasonal flu, ebola, and the Los Angeles Dodgers ...

This story from C-NET gives a more balance assessment ... "Using UV Light to Kill Coronavirus: The Benefits and Risks" --- July 8th, 2020

Too weak of a dose and it won't kill viruses and bacteria ... too strong of a dose and and it will kill the skin ... the trick will be getting the dose just right ... and getting the radiation to where it needs to go ...

The OP is right, we've been using this technology for decades ... but in uninhabited locations ... water bottles in sealed boxes, vacant operating rooms, closed off compartments along a conveyor belt ... what are the long term risks in a work center? ... skin cancer is a reality and quite deadly ... who pays the hospital bills and wrongful death lawsuits ... will it work through clothing? ...

Solar UVC is absorbed by the atmosphere ... where? ... I believe UVB only makes it as far as the ozone layer, bearly 1% of the total atmosphere or 10 mb ... what's the free path length and how do we attenuate this radiation to be effective at 10 feet away and somehow prevent people from getting within five? ... and what happens to the energy contained in this UVC radiation ... this is well above what is considered ionizing radiation, and UVB disassociated O2 molecules forming ozone in layers, like in the upper atmosphere ... ozone at the Earth's surface is considered a dangerous pollutant ... with all our homes, businesses and factories running UVC, maybe the cure will be worse than the disease ...

What will this do to our symbiotic bacteria? ... basic decomposition? ... brewing beer? ... seriously, I'd rather die of Covid-19 than give up my beer drinking ... and I'd rather the occasional glass shard than drink anything else but Sierra Nevada Pale Ale ...

If this is a workable solution ... we would have been using it for the seasonal flu, ebola, and the Los Angeles Dodgers ...

I suspect that in the past, the demand for a workable solution just wasn't there, but we didn't shut down the economy before. There wasn't enough demand to get the funding to do the research and development and then the testing, and THAT costs money. People don't want to be forced to stay home, not working and not sending their kids off to school. Businesses were closed that need to be open, and God knows we need our sports teams playing. So, this time is different.

I suspect that in the past, the demand for a workable solution just wasn't there, but we didn't shut down the economy before. There wasn't enough demand to get the funding to do the research and development and then the testing, and THAT costs money. People don't want to be forced to stay home, not working and not sending their kids off to school. Businesses were closed that need to be open, and God knows we need our sports teams playing. So, this time is different.

This is the common cold gone deadly ... it happens ...

We've had a positive test result here in North Jefferson this past week ... kinda shocking ... locally we've been relatively free of any downturn ... still our chronic labor shortage due to chronic lack of housing ... no one's shut their doors as far as I can see ... this is a more conservative area, WASHING OUR HANDS comes naturally, it appears to be a struggle in more liberal areas ...

The local NPR station ran a story about the social ramifications in Middle School cultures and the bonding these kids do ... it's been tragically upset by these new Covid-19 restrictions in the school setting ... cliques disintegrating and many more fights ... I never realized how important spitting in each other's mouth had become ... our lovely grandchildren setting their own American Dream ... God I love progress ...

According to The New York Times, potentially 90 percent of those who have tested positive for COVID-19 have such insignificant amounts of the virus present in their bodies that such individuals do not need to isolate nor are they candidates for contact tracing. Leading public health experts are now concerned that overtesting is responsible for misdiagnosing a huge number of people with harmless amounts of the virus in their systems.

"Most of these people are not likely to be contagious, and identifying them may contribute to bottlenecks that prevent those who are contagious from being found in time," warns The Times.

It helps to understand The Times' religious devotion to testing if one understands that Democrats have long-since committed to taking the polar opposite position of whatever President Trump believes. It's a symptom of Trump Derangement Syndrome. If Trump is hopeful about the effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine, then Democrats believe the drug will kill you. If Trump believes we should focus less on testing and more on treatments, Democrats and the media will insist we do nothing but testing and forget about treatments altogether.

This is the state of reference through which The Times can publish an article admitting that overtesting is creating deadly delays while continuing their demand for increased testing. The Times has now modified its call for more testing by saying everyone should specifically get a rapid test, which has a higher threshold for the quantity of the virus needed in order to render a positive result.

"In what may be a step in this direction, the Trump administration announced on Thursday that it would purchase 150 million rapid tests," The Times admitted.
If the coronavirus has made one thing clear, it's that so-called "scientists" and "experts" are wrong all the time. They can't accurately forecast a virus, they tell us different things about the effectiveness of a face mask, they insist the virus can't spread at leftwing protests, and there's a myriad of other examples too long to document here showing us the "experts" are really just making it all up as they go along, with their political biases on display for everyone with eyes to see.

You have to wonder how many people were told they had COVID-19 and were scared to death even though they weren't really in any danger.

What an odd take on testing ... thank God you weren't around when Small Pox was killing people ... are you anti-vax as well, because the two go together ... the "scientists" and "experts" I've been listening to have said to WASH YOU HANDS ... only a Democrat thinks that's a bad idea ...

"Forecast the virus" ... this might shock you, but we can't forecast the weather ... maybe you should turn off your TV ... get to know your neighbors ... go on a date or two ... but do a test for HIV before you dork her ... testing has it's place ....

Or so some people think. There's a guy named John Mauldin who sends out a weekly newsletter about the economy and investing. He said this in his latst one:

Several months ago, Dr. Mike Roizen began to tell me about an innovative new technology called far-UVC being developed by a company called Healthe. He is on their scientific advisory board. Essentially, it uses a specific wavelength of ultraviolet light to kill microorganisms without hurting humans. I was skeptical because I have always been taught that exposure to ultraviolet light was bad for humans. And for good reason; the ultraviolet light that reaches the earth’s surface is dangerous. But not all ultraviolet light reaches that far. And therein lies a story of innovation and perseverance.

Dr. David Brenner, an Oxford-educated physicist at Columbia who applies quantum mechanics to radiation therapy, had a friend die from a superbug caught in the hospital. He became (my word) obsessed with preventing future superbugs from killing people. (The link to his name will bring you to an impressive list of his publications, lectures, and information.)

We have long known ultraviolet light kills viruses and bacteria. The subway trains in Manhattan are exposed to UVC light every night. Many hospital surgical rooms are also exposed to UVC light, of course while humans are not in them, making them very clean rooms for surgery.

In a 2017 TED talk, Brenner explained why a particular wavelength in the ultraviolet light spectrum would not harm humans but still kill superbugs. In 2016, 700,000 people died from exposure to bacteriological superbugs. At the current path we are on, by 2050, the death toll will be 10 million.

In this talk, he shows why “far-UVC,” ultraviolet light in the spectrum of 222 nanometers (I am told that it is technically 205-222 nanometers) won’t penetrate human skin or eyes but can still kill bacteria and viruses—both on surfaces and in the air.

As it turns out, the sun also produces these particular wavelengths, but our atmosphere’s ozone layer stops them. But that doesn’t mean we can’t produce them here.

It is a pretty convincing talk. But I’m also told that Columbia University officials didn’t want to fund his research as they did not see much practicality or viability. When he was initially talking about it, it defied common knowledge—you know, what everyone knows to be true but sometimes isn’t.

So what does a man in a modern world do to fund his obsession? He starts crowdfunding. Seriously. But as it turns out, you can’t patent a wavelength of light, so now other companies are beginning to pick up on his research. COVID-19 made the need for new approaches readily apparent.

Healthe Lighting is already manufacturing devices that look like airport metal detectors. They kill any virus or bacteria on your body as you walk through. One of the main investors is Stephen Ross, a venture capital and private equity investor, who also has an ownership in the Miami Dolphins. They have installed a form of the technology that filters the air in their indoor training facilities. This is from a Miami Herald report.

Here is an ABC News video of an installation at the iconic Magnolia Bakery in Manhattan (I highly recommend their cupcakes). The Air Force is beginning to test and install far-UVC equipment. Seattle’s Space Needle is using it to market their reopening plan. The company already has over $100 million in backlog orders.

Like any new innovation, there are problems and solutions. Let’s deal with the problems first. Right now, installations are relatively expensive, and production is backlogged. But there is a solution which doesn’t require more research. Within a few months, the company says it will be able to produce simple LEDs that emit the proper wavelength. They will likely be expensive at first, but like anything involving technology and chips, costs will fall quickly, enabling wider use. (Today it would take $20,000 to equip a 2,000 square foot bar. The LEDs will drop that price dramatically.)

COVID-19 is devastating restaurants and bars because people are in such close proximity. But these LEDs will be easy to put on the walls and ceiling, or even in regular light-emitting lamps on each table. When somebody coughs or shouts and unknowingly spreads a virus, the far-UVC light will kill it. Will it be perfect? No, if you are kissing someone with COVID-19 or another virus, you may still catch the bug. The light doesn’t go past your skin or eyes.

And we are not talking just about COVID-19. We are talking about all viruses, including new ones. David Brenner’s vision of killing superbugs in hospitals (which caused 49,000 people to die last year last year in just the US) is in reach.

This is simply amazing. It will usher in a new area of health, saving lives, and significantly improving economic productivity. I know other companies are exploring the same prospect. That’s great; nothing like competition to spur innovation. It’s wonderful news for mankind.

Vaccines are in the works in multiple countries. We know a lot more about testing and treatment of these viruses than we did when COVID-19 first appeared. One assumes that we will be better prepared if and when the next one hits. Or maybe it won't hit, if we can produce inexpensive ways to kill this virus before it creates a pandemic. And the next one to.
Columbia University says it kills 90% of airborne virus in 8 minutes, what about the 3 seconds it takes to cross the table in a restaurant?

You have to wonder how many people were told they had COVID-19 and were scared to death even though they weren't really in any danger.

Getting diagnosed with diabetes is scarier ...
Is it?

It's actually a disease of the endothelium. This guy explains it really well.

I've never heard of these guys and you would think if they were successful, then we all have heard about it now. UV lighting is being used in airplanes and places where there aren't people, but the public has been in contact with. We're still waiting for a vaccine, not of UV lighting where people are.

Anyway, here's the verification

How UV lighting is used to help the spread

Last edited:

Forum List

Back