The effects of the storm.

"A Hell created not by fire, but by water, instead"

I spent last weekend in a spot the locals call the "Low Country" with 'Sandy' some 200 miles directly East of my location with neither TV nor radio, the median height above sea level some thirteen feet and the only egress from the island only rising some twenty odd feet above the water. They have had two storms of historical note with roughly thirty foot storm surges associated with each. The last storm, in 1890, caught the residents at midnight on a Sunday night. Fortunately most of the area's residents had attended church that morning, thirteen years before the Galveston hurricane which claimed the lives of some 20,000 people, so they were eminently prepared to meet their maker when the storm hit. They had no clue as to what was coming.
According to some of the locals they measured a water temperature offshore in September of 2011 a toasty 90 degrees. That temp would have made for one Hell of a storm if one had suddenly appeared.

New York's LaGuardia Airport Flooded (PHOTOS)

Going back and forth to work has really hit home how bad this is..

Yesterday travel was a 2 hour + commute spent mostly sitting in traffic, followed by a 12 hour day, followed by another 2 hour commute where upon I was greeted by Police blocking the entrance to my buildings garage because a gas station is next to it. Our Jersey City office had no power so I spent the day undoing all the damage to our processing caused by that. Was a real mess.

The heartbreaking stuff was coming from the news reports. Staten Island was really devastated as was Long Island and New Jersey. Hearing stories about kids getting swept out of their mother's arms and found dead later were horrific.

This is the real deal. If you folks are in the New York/New Jersey area and have a little time or funds..please volunteer. Or donate funds if you can't volunteer. This is going to take a great deal of time and effort to set right.

Thanks for the personal update. {{{hugs}}} and safety to you and yours.

Cooper run of donations for the Rockaways!

cooper_run.jpg

Sent money to the Red Cross and ASPCA last night.

Sorry bout that,

1. So I guess everythings back to normal now the race is going to happen!
2. Why such a hurry to get this race done and over?
3. If its as bad as it looks, they should cancel it all together.
4. From what I've seen the damage is horrific, and it appears not enough is being done about it, people are complaining they don't even have blankets, food and water.......

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Hurry about getting informed instead of asking others to stop and answer stupid fucking questions.

Sorry bout that,

1. So I guess everythings back to normal now the race is going to happen!
2. Why such a hurry to get this race done and over?
3. If its as bad as it looks, they should cancel it all together.
4. From what I've seen the damage is horrific, and it appears not enough is being done about it, people are complaining they don't even have blankets, food and water.......

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

This is the beauty of the plan...the runners will distribute blankets and water as they cross the city. Think big chesswars...

Forum List

Back