What's new
US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The effects of the storm.

Sallow

The Big Bad Wolf.
Reaction score
Going back and forth to work has really hit home how bad this is..

Yesterday travel was a 2 hour + commute spent mostly sitting in traffic, followed by a 12 hour day, followed by another 2 hour commute where upon I was greeted by Police blocking the entrance to my buildings garage because a gas station is next to it. Our Jersey City office had no power so I spent the day undoing all the damage to our processing caused by that. Was a real mess.

The heartbreaking stuff was coming from the news reports. Staten Island was really devastated as was Long Island and New Jersey. Hearing stories about kids getting swept out of their mother's arms and found dead later were horrific.

This is the real deal. If you folks are in the New York/New Jersey area and have a little time or funds..please volunteer. Or donate funds if you can't volunteer. This is going to take a great deal of time and effort to set right.

TakeAStepBack

Gold Member
Reaction score
We're volunteering with the Parks dept. over the weekend to help clean up.

OP
Sallow

Sallow

The Big Bad Wolf.
Reaction score
Thanks TakeAStepBack!

Really mean that.

TakeAStepBack

Gold Member
Reaction score
I live here and it is what folks who have the ability and are decent, do.

• Thanks
Reactions: del

blastoff

Undocumented Reg. User
Reaction score
Well at least NYC will have their marathon this weekend. That's the way to allocate scarce resources.

TakeAStepBack

Gold Member
Reaction score
The logistical nightmare of the marathon, if you have a clue about NYC traffic, is best to just let the show go on.
People will complain in this city about everything. You can never win. Let the marathon happen. It's good for the economy, it's good for people's spirit and it's good publicity.

blastoff

Undocumented Reg. User
Reaction score
Yeah, runners are gonna need their water a hell of a lot more than folks who haven't had any for a few days.

Ravi

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Uh, this is a request for aid not an invitation to bash.

blastoff

Undocumented Reg. User
Reaction score
Oh, so it's a bash to point out runners will be pouring water over their heads to cool down while lots of disaster victims don't have any to drink. Duly noted.

TakeAStepBack

Gold Member
Reaction score
Oh, so it's a bash to point out runners will be pouring water over their heads to cool down while lots of disaster victims don't have any to drink. Duly noted.

I didn't take you for a LOLberal. Apparently i was wrong.

Katzndogz

Diamond Member
Reaction score
The logistical nightmare of the marathon, if you have a clue about NYC traffic, is best to just let the show go on.
People will complain in this city about everything. You can never win. Let the marathon happen. It's good for the economy, it's good for people's spirit and it's good publicity.

How can it be good for the economy? It's not like anyone not in NYC can get into NYC to see it. The worst effect of the marathon is that all available police are being taken away from areas plagued by looting and violence and sent to cover the marathon.

TakeAStepBack

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yes, non NYC residence can get into NYC to both participate and to spectate. Do you live here?

Kiki Cannoli

Have you met my shadow?
Reaction score
The marathon will renew a sense of normalcy. Its good for the soul. Residents are exhausted. Seeing a NY tradition despite the obstacles is a true tribute to the spirit if Ny.

Katzndogz

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Yes, non NYC residence can get into NYC to both participate and to spectate. Do you live here?

I have friends and family who live there. I used to live there. The subways remain closed. The tunnels are flooded. Mayor Bloomberg has mandated that all private cars on the road have three or more occupants. The buses aren't even running. Restaurants that used to do a booming business now have nothing to sell. Delivery trucks can't get in.

If it were me, and I lived there, I would move heaven and earth to get to the marathon because that's where all the police will be. The rest of the City is going to turn into a war zone.

TakeAStepBack

Gold Member
Reaction score

I have friends and family who live there. I used to live there. The subways remain closed. The tunnels are flooded. Mayor Bloomberg has mandated that all private cars on the road have three or more occupants. The buses aren't even running. Restaurants that used to do a booming business now have nothing to sell. Delivery trucks can't get in.

If it were me, and I lived there, I would move heaven and earth to get to the marathon because that's where all the police will be. The rest of the City is going to turn into a war zone.

You couldn't possibly be more ill-informed.

Subways have been running in several sectors, albiet limited, since yesterday. Buses since the day before on full schedule with soem re-routing, bridges and tunnels (with the exception of a two) are open.

The city will restore power to lower manhattan by Saturday (and their timetable claims thus far have been accurate) which frees up a ton of serve and protect labor. There will be no diverted labor for the marathon.

TakeAStepBack

Gold Member
Reaction score
The Detroit Free Press reporting on NYC mass transit conditions. :lmao:

The irony is almost beyond grasp.

I rode the subway under the east river this morning to get to the office. Sure, it's messy. But it's moving

Katzndogz

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Bloomberg is already diverting resources, including food.

USMB Server Goals

Total amount
$201.00
Goal
$350.00

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List