The Dads, Brads and Chads are Big Mad

She has a purrdy mouth.....If my life depended on it I could not name one song she has recorded. :dunno:

Um

Love Story?
Shake it Off?
You Belong to Me?
Anti-Hero?
Teardrops On My Guitar?

I mean. I don't love the NBA but I can name three teams. It's like that.

I like her, she is entertaining and there are a lot worse role models for young fans.

But in terms of all time great female vocalists I have seen in my lifetime, I would not put Taylor Swift in my top 10.

Definitely agree. She's not a "vocalist"--she's a songwriter. I mean. Paul Simon is not a great "vocalist" but I don't see a bunch of people dogging him for it? he's a big ole cannon of a songwriter and musician, and his voice is good.

She will go the route of many pop singers before her - lost in history.
She hasn't produced any songs that will be replayed 20 years from now. Not one.
Her songs are mediocre, nothing really stands out. Similar in beat, instrumentation like many other pop band music that is easy to forget.
But for reasons not easy to understand, she has star power. And an online presence topped by no one else.
But the majority of her fans are white millennial females. She is not pulling in Gen Zs. With an estimate that only 11% of her fans are below the age of 27.
That will be the end of her.
And in another decade it really will be "Taylor who??"

You know, I remain grateful that even at my age (54) I try to stay current with music. Some of it is garbage, but still.

That's first.

Second, I was a teenager in the 80s. I remember the Madonna and Michael Jackson furor. I had Thriller and nearly played it to death. EVERYONE knew Thriller. I mean everyone.

This is bigger.

I have never in my life seen anything like this, and that's an objective statement. The biggest selling tour in history. Spotify hottest artist of the year. Best selling artist of the year. Etc, etc, etc.

You don't have to like it, for sure. But just to say "no one will remember her"? No.

If you knew the first thing about Native culture you would know that only Native Chiefs are allowed to wear the headdress. This kid is not a Chief.

That headdress was used by no one. It is a costume. And, not every tribe used them. That style is particular to the plains Indians.

So look who doesn't know shit about native American culture.

That would be you.

That's why you laughed, because you have no legit response.

I bet your idea of a native American woman is one of those crappy velvet paintings with a white woman in native American garb.

If you knew the first thing about Native culture you would know that only Native Chiefs are allowed to wear the headdress. This kid is not a Chief.

I take a middle position on this. I mean the Vikings fans wear Vikings helmets, and that because many of their settlers were from Norway.

And in Wisconsin they wear cheese on their heads....which....well, they're Green Bay what can I say

It is bit odd come to think of it given her huge popularity.

By the same token I'd have no trouble at all naming three Lady GA-GA songs.

Go figure. :dunno:

Well see from my perspective this is even stranger. I do not think TS is a Christian--at best she's culturally Christian. But Christians have a real beef with her as opposed to Lady Gaga. I mean TS mostly sings about relationships and Lady Gaga has a really weird flex with a lot of sexual stuff.

I'm not saying any of this is YOUR opinion/position. But from a lot of conservatives and Christians there's so much hate for TS. She's not a great influence on younger girls esp in the last few years, but man. Compared to so much out there?

I take a middle position on this. I mean the Vikings fans wear Vikings helmets, and that because many of their settlers were from Norway.
Totally different culture. How would the average white person feel if they saw me wearing the Congressional Medal of Honor or the Purple Heart knowing I never served in the military?

That headdress was used by no one. It is a costume. And, not every tribe used them. That style is particular to the plains Indians.

So look who doesn't know shit about native American culture.

That would be you.

That's why you laughed, because you have no legit response.

I bet your idea of a native American woman is one of those crappy velvet paintings with a white woman in native American garb.
The more things you say like this the dumber you sound. Keep doing it.

Um

Love Story?
Shake it Off?
You Belong to Me?
Anti-Hero?
Teardrops On My Guitar?

I mean. I don't love the NBA but I can name three teams. It's like that.
Never heard of any of them.
And probably as high as 90% of people who are not white female millennials - also never heard of those songs.

Within her base, no argument, she is a H U G E star.
But they forget - no one else cares anything about her but them.

Totally different culture. How would the average white person feel if they saw me wearing the Congressional Medal of Honor or the Purple Heart knowing I never served in the military?

Well you're now talking about appropriation--that is, trying to pass yourself off as an actual Purple Heart owner. If, otoh, there was an NFL team called "the soldiers" or something and some fans dressed up like soldiers, or even captains and lieutenants, I wouldn't have a problem with it. They're clearly NOT that.

"Stolen valor" is another thing--rather like what Elizabeth Warren did.

Second, I was a teenager in the 80s. I remember the Madonna and Michael Jackson furor. I had Thriller and nearly played it to death. EVERYONE knew Thriller. I mean everyone.

This is bigger.

I have never in my life seen anything like this, and that's an objective statement. The biggest selling tour in history. Spotify hottest artist of the year. Best selling artist of the year. Etc, etc, etc.

Madonna and Michael Jackson defined their era.
Madonna was not super talented, but she created a character that was exotic and sexy. Her songs are recognizable to fans that were not born when she was a top star.
Jackson is an all time great, his songs have lasted 50 years.

I have seen a Taylor Swift phenomenon before. She is the latest flavor and I think people will grow tired of vanilla

Never heard of any of them.
And probably as high as 90% of people who are not white female millennials - also never heard of those songs.

Within her base, no argument, she is a H U G E star.
But they forget - no one else cares anything about her but them.

I do not care for country music and don't follow it. Does that mean that because it's not MY thing, Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, Brad Paisley, Luke Combs, Carrie Underwood, etc are not that big of stars outside their genre?

Have ANY of them done what TS has done, btw? Over 17 years? Put on show after show with 70k+ people?

What a funny thread, wow

Well you're now talking about appropriation--that is, trying to pass yourself off as an actual Purple Heart owner. If, otoh, there was an NFL team called "the soldiers" or something and some fans dressed up like soldiers, or even captains and lieutenants, I wouldn't have a problem with it. They're clearly NOT that.

"Stolen valor" is another thing--rather like what Elizabeth Warren did.
The purple heart is something that is earned, just like the headdress.
As for Liz, she is full of shit. There were never Cherokee princesses.

Madonna and Michael Jackson defined their era.
Madonna was not super talented, but she created a character that was exotic and sexy. Her songs are recognizable to fans that were not born when she was a top star.
Jackson is an all time great, his songs have lasted 50 years.

I have seen a Taylor Swift phenomenon before. She is the latest flavor and I think people will grow tired of vanilla

Lotta older people really out of touch in this thread. Sorry, there it is. Just way, way out of touch.

Well see from my perspective this is even stranger. I do not think TS is a Christian--at best she's culturally Christian. But Christians have a real beef with her as opposed to Lady Gaga. I mean TS mostly sings about relationships and Lady Gaga has a really weird flex with a lot of sexual stuff.

I'm not saying any of this is YOUR opinion/position. But from a lot of conservatives and Christians there's so much hate for TS. She's not a great influence on younger girls esp in the last few years, but man. Compared to so much out there?
I just never found TS interesting enough to go out of my to listen to her.....I bet i have seen more of her in the box seats at KC games than any other place.

The purple heart is something that is earned, just like the headdress.
As for Liz, she is full of shit. There were never Cherokee princesses.

No one thinks that kid is trying to pass himself off as a NA chief in the way Warren actually benefitted from lying about her heritage. In the same way, if there was a team called the "soldiers" and people dressed up like that, ok. Again it's when you pass yourself off as that for personal gain OR use the images for pure mockery that problems begin, IMHO

I do not care for country music and don't follow it. Does that mean that because it's not MY thing, Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, Brad Paisley, Luke Combs, Carrie Underwood, etc are not that big of stars outside their genre?

Have ANY of them done what TS has done, btw? Over 17 years? Put on show after show with 70k+ people?

What a funny thread, wow
You should go to a Willie Nelson show. I did and it changed my life.

I just never found TS interesting enough to go out of my to listen to her.....I bet i have seen more of her in the box seats at KC games than any other place.

That's fair. Everyone is of course entitled to their opinion of her music. It's people saying she's "not that big of a deal" or a passing fad that just cracks me up.

You should go to a Willie Nelson show. I did and it changed my life.

I believe it. Alan Jackson also puts on a good show. Just pure music, none of the hype. His band is really good.

Best pop show I ever saw though was Paul Simon/Sting. It was a musicians' show. Like just two older dudes playing their songs with a ton of instruments up there. We had really good seats and I was in heaven, in a manner of speaking

Forum List

Back