The Coming Ukrainian Insurgency

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
There are so many ways to funnel weapons into a Ukrainian insurgency that ultimately I believe a cross border shooting match between a NATO country and Russian forces appears to be almost inevitable, provided this occupation is a protracted one.

Russia can likely seize as much of Ukraine’s territory as it chooses. But plans to pacify Ukraine will require far more than the reserve forces Putin has suggested might occupy the territory as “peacekeepers” after initial combat objectives are met. Thanks to Putin’s aggression, anti-Russian fervor and homegrown nationalism have surged in Ukraine. Ukrainians have spent the last eight years planning, training, and equipping themselves for resisting a Russian occupation. Ukraine understands that no U.S. or NATO forces will come to its rescue on the battlefield. Its strategy doesn’t depend on turning back a Russian invasion, but rather in bleeding Moscow so as to make occupation untenable.

Any future insurgency will benefit from Ukraine’s geography. The country is bordered by four NATO states: Hungary, Poland, Romania, and Slovakia. Belarus, a Russian ally, is itself bordered by Poland on the west and another NATO member Lithuania on the north. These long borders offer the United States and NATO an enduring way to support Ukrainian resistance and a long-term insurgency and to stoke unrest in Belarus should the United States and its allies choose to covertly aid opposition to Lukashenko’s regime.

Moldova, to the southwest of Ukraine, is also an intriguing player. Although nominally neutral (neutrality is written into its constitution), Moldova has cooperated in the past with the United States and NATO; it has a somewhat frigid relationship with Moscow thanks to ongoing tensions over the breakaway republic of Transnistria, a narrow strip of land along the Moldovan-Ukrainian border. Moscow props up this separatist entity, which is garrisoned by Russian troops in the name of “peacekeeping.” Its role in Transnistria is pushing Moldova toward the West. Last November, Maia Sandu, a former Moldovan prime minister, defeated the Russian-backed incumbent president. Moldova is not likely to overtly provoke the Kremlin, but Sandu might be willing to covertly cooperate with Ukraine’s resistance.

As the United States learned in Vietnam and in Afghanistan, an insurgency that has reliable supply lines, ample reserves of fighters, and sanctuary over the border can sustain itself indefinitely, sap an occupying army’s will to fight, and exhaust political support for the occupation at home. Russia would also have to think twice before trying to chase insurgents across the border in Poland, for instance, since such actions could trigger war with NATO.

I'll trade them one of my Cossack swords for a hot Ukrainian woman. ;)

c 001 (2).JPG

Sigh, with my luck I'd end up with this and she would use the other sword on me in my sleep. :sad:

879faea0e28570230b7d258255f764bb.jpg

Wow, what a terribly designed sword. Even the dark ages produces better blades than that.
LOL.....It's Russian, so it's no surprise it's more or less a sharp club. ;)

Jokes aside given the grip angle I suspect it was very effective when on horseback.....It seems the main complaint was the lack of a guard, not so much for personal protection but to help keep rain from seeping into the scabbard.

Forum List

Back