The Christian Right is in Decline

DrLove

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2016
Central Oregon Coast
I can't get past the NYT paywall, but as usual I found the same thing somewhere else. Great read - Sad what Trumpism has done to Evangelicals.

<few snips>

Activists imagined a glorious future. “Home-schoolers will be inordinately represented in the highest levels of leadership and power in the next generation,” Ned Ryun, a former Bush speechwriter, said at a 2005 Christian home-schooling convention. Ryun was the director of a group called Generation Joshua, which worked to get home-schooled kids into politics. The name came from the Old Testament. Moses had led the chosen people out of exile, but it was his successor, Joshua, who conquered the Holy Land.​
But the evangelicals who thought they were about to take over America were destined for disappointment. On Thursday, PRRI released startling new polling data showing just how much ground the religious right has lost. PRRI’s 2020 Census of American Religion, based on a survey of nearly half a million people, shows a precipitous decline in the share of the population identifying as white evangelical, from 23% in 2006 to 14.5% last year. In 2020, as in every year since 2013, the largest religious group in the United States was the religiously unaffiliated.​
In addition to shrinking as a share of the population, white evangelicals were also the oldest religious group in the United States, with a median age of 56. “It’s not just that they are dying off, but it is that they’re losing younger members,” Jones told me. As the group has become older and smaller, Jones said, “a real visceral sense of loss of cultural dominance” has set in.​
White evangelicals once saw themselves “as the owners of mainstream American culture and morality and values,” said Jones. Now they are just another subculture.​
From this fact derives much of our country’s cultural conflict. It helps explain not just the rise of Donald Trump, but also the growth of QAnon and even the escalating conflagration over critical race theory. “It’s hard to overstate the strength of this feeling, among white evangelicals in particular, of America being a white Christian country,” said Jones. “This sense of ownership of America just runs so deep in white evangelical circles.” The feeling that it’s slipping away has created an atmosphere of rage, resentment and paranoia.​
QAnon is essentially a millenarian movement, with Trump taking the place of Jesus. Adherents dream of the coming of what they call the storm, when the enemies of the MAGA movement will be rounded up and executed, and Trump restored to his rightful place of leadership.​
“It’s not unlike a belief in the second coming of Christ,” said Jones. “That at some point God will reorder society and set things right. I think that when a community feels itself in crisis, it does become more susceptible to conspiracy theories and other things that tell them that what they’re experiencing is not ultimately what’s going to happen.”​
I was frightened by the religious right in its triumphant phase. But it turns out that the movement is just as dangerous in decline. Maybe more so. It didn’t take long for the cocky optimism of Generation Joshua to give way to the nihilism of the Jan. 6 insurrectionists. If they can’t own the country, they’re ready to defile it.​

Full:

the religious right, desert religions have been in decline since their beginning - but like locust upon the fields of plenty they redevour the innocent to maintain their unyielding grip on power they will never voluntarily relinquish.

- as their books replenish for them what history proves is their endless and unyielding corruption.

Dang, your fellow cultists were just whining about the god fearing taking over the country.
Weird, maybe you dont get all the same emails :lol:
Nah they ain't taking over the country. Sadly, they morphed into something entirely unrecognizable as they felt their power dwindling. Donnie tapped into those fears, turning them into a weird and dangerous sort of Mr Hyde.

Dang, your fellow cultists were just whining about the god fearing taking over the country.
Weird, maybe you dont get all the same emails :lol:
Nah they ain't taking over the country. Sadly, they morphed into something entirely unrecognizable as they felt their power dwindling. Donnie tapped into those fears, turning them into a weird and dangerous sort of Mr Hyde.
Right? Almost on par with you Maoists.

I can't get past the NYT paywall, but as usual I found the same thing somewhere else. Great read - Sad what Trumpism has done to Evangelicals.

<few snips>

Activists imagined a glorious future. “Home-schoolers will be inordinately represented in the highest levels of leadership and power in the next generation,” Ned Ryun, a former Bush speechwriter, said at a 2005 Christian home-schooling convention. Ryun was the director of a group called Generation Joshua, which worked to get home-schooled kids into politics. The name came from the Old Testament. Moses had led the chosen people out of exile, but it was his successor, Joshua, who conquered the Holy Land.​
But the evangelicals who thought they were about to take over America were destined for disappointment. On Thursday, PRRI released startling new polling data showing just how much ground the religious right has lost. PRRI’s 2020 Census of American Religion, based on a survey of nearly half a million people, shows a precipitous decline in the share of the population identifying as white evangelical, from 23% in 2006 to 14.5% last year. In 2020, as in every year since 2013, the largest religious group in the United States was the religiously unaffiliated.​
In addition to shrinking as a share of the population, white evangelicals were also the oldest religious group in the United States, with a median age of 56. “It’s not just that they are dying off, but it is that they’re losing younger members,” Jones told me. As the group has become older and smaller, Jones said, “a real visceral sense of loss of cultural dominance” has set in.​
White evangelicals once saw themselves “as the owners of mainstream American culture and morality and values,” said Jones. Now they are just another subculture.​
From this fact derives much of our country’s cultural conflict. It helps explain not just the rise of Donald Trump, but also the growth of QAnon and even the escalating conflagration over critical race theory. “It’s hard to overstate the strength of this feeling, among white evangelicals in particular, of America being a white Christian country,” said Jones. “This sense of ownership of America just runs so deep in white evangelical circles.” The feeling that it’s slipping away has created an atmosphere of rage, resentment and paranoia.​
QAnon is essentially a millenarian movement, with Trump taking the place of Jesus. Adherents dream of the coming of what they call the storm, when the enemies of the MAGA movement will be rounded up and executed, and Trump restored to his rightful place of leadership.​
“It’s not unlike a belief in the second coming of Christ,” said Jones. “That at some point God will reorder society and set things right. I think that when a community feels itself in crisis, it does become more susceptible to conspiracy theories and other things that tell them that what they’re experiencing is not ultimately what’s going to happen.”​
I was frightened by the religious right in its triumphant phase. But it turns out that the movement is just as dangerous in decline. Maybe more so. It didn’t take long for the cocky optimism of Generation Joshua to give way to the nihilism of the Jan. 6 insurrectionists. If they can’t own the country, they’re ready to defile it.​

Full:

Wow, ^^^this^^^ is top-notch BlueAnon kookery here. LOL!

You know. . . I have always found the Domionists a bit anti-American, but this piece tying them to be the major opposition to CRT, although it starts off based on facts, is disingenuous, if it wants to hold that the major opposition to CRT is found mostly among them, and to paint CRT as "American," and a positive good.

All parts of society see through CRT as an acedemic disipline that pits the OUT-GROUP explicitly against the IN-GROUP, and will do more destructive harm to national cultural cohesion than anything the Dominonists could hope to achieve.

CRT is every bit as divisive and illiberal as the Domionists are.

Lobbing out AD Hom. and name calling them things like, "conspiracy theorists," at one's supposed opponents is weak sauce.

Calling Jan. 6th an "insurrection," is clearly hyperbole. If you need to use these crutches to make a point, when the stats., are sufficient. . . you are letting your hatred get the best of your, "opinion piece."

1626109332183.png

Franklin Graham march in DC...

<few snips>

Full:

someone writes a opinion piece and you eat it up?....come on doc i thought you were smarter than that.....

<few snips>

Full:

If it is from the NYT, or anyone like the NYT, it is total garbage. Like the OP.

Franklin Graham isn't fit to lick his father's boots.
His sister, on the other hand, she's more formidable than her grifter piss aunt brother.

CRT is every bit as divisive and illiberal as the Domionists are.
The funny thing is that Evangelicals are not, and have never been, the majority Christian sect. If Dominionists want a solely Christian nation, they are in the wrong country because this county is founded on the principle all faiths and religions are welcome here.

As for Critical Race Theory: I have done a lot of family genealogy. There are branches tracing back to the Puritans and the Mayflower; branches that arrived after the Civil War; branches that were early settlers of Canada and moved south into the USA, again after the civil war. One branch (with the same immigrant ancestor as Abraham Lincoln was in the South at the time of the civil war.

Slavery began in the US with indentured servants. One mixed group of whites and black that were early Southerners were to serve from 7 to 15 years. Whites were able to serve their allotted time and move on. The blacks were denied freedom because...plantations needed free labor and the reason given is that the Blacks were not Christian.

Who gave that reason and who went along with it? Big businesses of the day (plantation owners, cotton, tobacco, indigo industries) who lobbied and got consent from the government. It has never been a fight of white against black as much as it was then as it is today--the fight of both black and white against big business and government overstepping its bounds.

In the South at the time of Civil War, I cannot find any proof that the families owned slave (too poor), and in fact only 1 in 4 families had slaves (or 1 in 5 of Southern individuals). However, I do know that part of that line was either okay with slavery or in favor of states rights (maybe both). One of my great-great-greats was called out onto his front porch and shot over his position on the civil war. (Don't know what that position was, because his children appeared to be divided. In my particular family, his son-in-law and oldest grandson fought for the Confederacy, the middle grandson for the union. His daughter was thrown in jail for singing Confederate songs, came down with a virus and died.)

I am Catholic. Both theologically and politically, I have disagreements and agreements with Evangelicals. While I may not agree with all their political views, they speak out and I favor that. Now--as ever--we as individuals have got to stand up against big business and big government. Individual voices are needed to push back--to tell corporations and governments who we are--not go along with them telling us who we are.

Forum List

Back